1. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 02:26
    Should students be allowed to stay in high school until they're 22 years old if they are too thick witted to graduate from the 12th grade?

Or should we just throw in the towel and admit that it's a waste of time trying?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 02:30
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Should students be allowed to stay in high school until they're 22 years old if they are too thick witted to graduate from the 12th grade?

Or should we just throw in the towel and admit that it's a waste of time trying?
    I always thought that the public school system finds way to "graduate" these folks, if you know what I mean? In fact, don't they have kids graduating who can't read?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 02:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    I always thought that the public school system finds way to "graduate" these folks, if you know what I mean? In fact, don't they have kids graduating who can't read?
    The law now allows kids to stay in school until they're 22 which is ridiculous, been that way for almost 10 years I think.

It was the latest in liberal thinking.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 02:37
    The law now allows kids to stay in school until they're 22 which is ridiculous, been that way for almost 10 years I think.

It was the latest in liberal thinking.
    So your telling me that when they reach 23 they just kick these kids....er....um men-children and women-children to the curb!! :'(

How uncaring can ya get? 😠
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 02:461 edit
    So your telling me that when they reach 23 they just kick these kids....er....um men-children and women-children to the curb!! :'(

How uncaring can ya get? 😠
    No on their 22nd birthday they're out.

Of High School.

Fortunately most of them decide it's lame and don't do it, it's the special ed kids that stay.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 02:51
    No on their 22nd birthday they're out.
    I say Obama creates a program for these kids. Lets call it, "No man-child left behind". What we will do is propose a value added tax to fund a program to educate these kids until they reach their 40th birthday. Of course, if they still fail they can be provided an "early retirement" fully funded by the tax payers, of course. Brilliant!!
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 05:06

I am very sorry to hear about the problem running in your family.

Stay strong, pops.
  8. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 05:28
    I never knew anyone that old who hadn't graduated by 19 and actually wanted to stay in school. I mean, really, why would they?

The only thing I can think is that a policy like that would be intended for kids that had some seriously missed opportunities in life and were back on track but way behind.

But even then...
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 08:39
    How is it done in USA, if you are, say 25 years of age, and want the education you've missed earlier?
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 14:131 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    How is it done in USA, if you are, say 25 years of age, and want the education you've missed earlier?
    State and local governments have various adult education programs. Those who never graduated from high school can study for and pass a GED test that certifies them as having achieved "high school level skills"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Educational_Development
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 14:15
    *insert right-wing rant about the state enforcing decisions on individuals*

Oh.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 14:17
    Originally posted by Palynka
    *insert right-wing rant about the state enforcing decisions on individuals*

Oh.
    You mean the guvamint ?
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 17:00
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    State and local governments have various adult education programs. Those who never graduated from high school can study for and pass a GED test that certifies them as having achieved "high school level skills"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Educational_Development
    Thanks for the reply.

Are these adult education programs for free, or does it cost anything?
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 19:48
    kids in some states are surprised to find out ex post facto that if they don't pass the state exams, they can't graduate from high school and can't attend the prom.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 22:39
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    kids in some states are surprised to find out ex post facto that if they don't pass the state exams, they can't graduate from high school and can't attend the prom.
    and I would imagine many of those kids find the latter consequence to be much more alarming than the former

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree