1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 14:41
    http://www.npr.org/2012/11/26/165943685/egyptian-judges-prepare-for-a-strike

After a series of controversial decrees by Egypt's President Mohammed Morsi, the country's judges are conflicted over what to do.

The president and Egypt's highest judicial authority met Monday to try to resolve the crisis, but the decrees, which essentially nullify judicial oversight, remained in place. And the judges are going ahead with plans for a strike.

Yussef Auf has been a judge for 10 years and says he has never witnessed such an affront to his profession.

"It's the biggest attack on the judges so far I've seen in my life. In the history of the Egyptian judiciary, I think it might be the biggest one or the second biggest one," says Auf, 35.

etc/

Will Egyptian Democracy die in its cradle or will this end in a government with separation of powers and an independent judiciary?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 15:06
    Originally posted by sh76

[quote]After a series of controversial decrees by Egypt's President Mohammed Morsi, the country's judges are conflicted over what to do.

The president and Egypt's highest judicial authority met Monday to try to resolve the crisis, but the decrees, which essentially nullify judici ...[text shortened]... or will this end in a government with separation of powers and an independent judiciary?
    Holdover judges from the Muburak era keep dissolving elected assemblies on dubious grounds. It's kinda difficult to get to a government with separation of powers when the judges keep insisting that the people elected to write the Constitution are illegitimate based on rules passed during a dictatorship.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 15:151 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Holdover judges from the Muburak era keep dissolving elected assemblies on dubious grounds. It's kinda difficult to get to a government with separation of powers when the judges keep insisting that the people elected to write the Constitution are illegitimate based on rules passed during a dictatorship.
    It seems like what they need is a new Constitution that would establish an independent judiciary but impose some legitimate checks on their authority.
  4. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 15:56
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There's no way judges should be dissolving the Constitutional convention.

Morsi's actions are extreme but perhaps necessary to get to true democracy.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 18:08
    Originally posted by sh76

[quote]After a series of controversial decrees by Egypt's President Mohammed Morsi, the country's judges are conflicted over what to do.

The president and Egypt's highest judicial authority met Monday to try to resolve the crisis, but the decrees, which essentially nullify judici ...[text shortened]... or will this end in a government with separation of powers and an independent judiciary?
    I have been wondering what is going on with this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree