EU a superpower?

EU a superpower?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
14 Mar 10

The EU budget is just over 1% of the EU's GDP. Donating aid is not an EU affair, which is why the limit to sending aid is set that low. Member states decide individually how much aid they want to send. So if you want to know how much aid the EU sent, you have to add up the member states' contributions, not look at what the EU as an institution sent.

F

Moves
14 Mar 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
The EU budget is just over 1% of the EU's GDP. Donating aid is not an EU affair, which is why the limit to sending aid is set that low. Member states decide individually how much aid they want to send. So if you want to know how much aid the EU sent, you have to add up the member states' contributions, not look at what the EU as an institution sent.
The 3 million firgure is what can be sent automatically without consultation. The large amount that the E.U. sent was presumambly discussed and authorized and was in addition to the hundreds of millions of dollars sent my the nations on an individual basis.

K

Germany

Moves
14 Mar 10

Originally posted by FMF
The 3 million firgure is what can be sent automatically without consultation. The large amount that the E.U. sent was presumambly discussed and authorized and was in addition to the hundreds of millions of dollars sent my the nations on an individual basis.
Oh I see.

F

Moves
14 Mar 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Oh I see.
Christopher Booker could see it too.

But he wrote some cynical disengenuous propaganda.

Just what zeeblebot needed to launch yet another dud thread.

silicon valley

Moves
15 Mar 10

Originally posted by FMF
Christopher Booker could see it too.

But he wrote some cynical disengenuous propaganda.

Just what zeeblebot needed to launch yet another dud thread.
don't you understand the meaning of the term "immediate"?

F

Moves
15 Mar 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
You don't seem to understand how disgraceful your OP was.

silicon valley

Moves
15 Mar 10

silicon valley

Moves
15 Mar 10

Originally posted by FMF
The E.U. sent U.S.$615 million in aid to the countries affected by the tsunami, not Euro 3 million as stated by Booker in your OP. This money was collected from its member states, who in turn also sent aid individually.
Apparently Booker disagrees with you. i wonder who will get more readers?

F

Moves
15 Mar 10
1 edit

Apparently Booker disagrees with you. i wonder who will get more readers?
If he was wrong he was wrong. If it was disengenuous then it was disengenuous. I don't see how many readers he has is relevant in any way.

And neither do you. Your purported sense of humour very much goes into this wriggle-yer-tangents and redden-them-herrings mode whenever you've been caught out.

silicon valley

Moves
15 Mar 10

Originally posted by FMF
If he was wrong he was wrong. If it was disengenuous then it was disengenuous. I don't see how many readers he has is relevant in any way.

And neither do you. Your purported sense of humour very much goes into this wriggle-yer-tangents and redden-them-herrings mode whenever you've been caught out.

apparently Booker's use of the term $3M is justified.

if YOU wanted to be honest, you would say: "well, AFTER Booker published his article, the EU coughed up more money."

F

Moves
15 Mar 10

apparently Booker's use of the term $3M is justified.

if YOU wanted to be honest, you would say: "well, AFTER Booker published his article, the EU coughed up more money."
Citing a 6 year old out-of-date obvious bash piece from a calculating polemicist at the Daily Telegraph in a piece with incorrect data, countless omissions, and that deliberately neglects to mention that immediate aid from E.U. members ran to hundreds of millions of dollars - more than the U.S. as far as can be made out, even according to the data Booker provided - and then here's you trying to extrapolate an "is the E.U. a superpower?" debate out of this tedious hackery is about as low and grotty as OPs get here at RHP.

silicon valley

Moves
15 Mar 10

subtitle: "The earthquake in Haiti provoked prompt and effective action from the US, and waffle from the EU, says Christopher Booker "

F

Moves
15 Mar 10

subtitle: "The earthquake in Haiti provoked prompt and effective action from the US, and waffle from the EU, says Christopher Booker "
Why did you cut and paste from such an unreliable source? It wasn't as if you managed to inspire an interesting debate about the E.U.'s superpower status, or lack of, with it.

silicon valley

Moves
15 Mar 10

Originally posted by FMF
Why did you cut and paste from such an unreliable source? It wasn't as if you managed to inspire an interesting debate about the E.U.'s superpower status, or lack of, with it.
how is he unreliable? because you don't understand what "prompt" and "immediate" mean?

re "interesting": you droning on and continuing to overlook Booker's point, intentionally or not, doesn't count as interesting, no.

F

Moves
15 Mar 10

how is he unreliable? because you don't understand what "prompt" and "immediate" mean?

re "interesting": you droning on and continuing to overlook Booker's point, intentionally or not, doesn't count as interesting, no.
Booker neglected to mention the aid from E.U. members but DID mention the U.S. aid. A source that does that is an unreliable source. And the kind of source you peddle all the time. Anyway. Good for you. Is the E.U. a superpower? In terms of diplomacy - yes, probably. In terms of humanitarian aid? - yes, certainly. In military terms? - no. In economic terms - yes. In terms of international development? - yes. In Booker's eyes, and the Daily Telegraph's view? - no, apparently.