1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 17:01
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I don't think it has to do with the strict authoritarian government. I don't think it has to do with slave labor.

There is plenty of corruption going on over there which is a detracts from the effectiveness of the economy. The government and slave labor leads to the corruption.

It is the social policies that China does not have in place that puts more responsibility on the citizens to take care of themselves that leads to individual responsibility. Lack of individual responsibility which creates the problem.

If you want a large supply of slave labor you can go to many different 3rd world nations and open shop. Usually those countries are run by corrupt authoritarian regimes.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 17:05
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I don't think it has to do with the strict authoritarian government. I don't think it has to do with slave labor.

There is plenty of corruption going on over there which is a detracts from the effectiveness of the economy. The government and slave labor leads to the corruption.

It is the social policies that China does not have in place that puts more ...[text shortened]... orld nations and open shop. Usually those countries are run by corrupt authoritarian regimes.
    Actually, it does the opposite - having a poor social safety net forces people to rely on their families rather than choosing their own path in life.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 17:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Actually, it does the opposite - having a poor social safety net forces people to rely on their families rather than choosing their own path in life.
    No safety net forces people to work.

Why work for little if you can get more by doing nothing?

If people have family, eventually the family will kick them out if they continue to do nothing.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 17:14
    No safety net forces people to work.

Why work for little if you can get more by doing nothing?

If people have family, eventually the family will kick them out if they continue to do nothing.
    Norway. Huge benefits. Full employment. Inconvenient, isn't it?

Right.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 17:151 edit
    Hi
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 17:304 edits
    Impressive criticism coming from someone in a country with a GDP per capita less than Belarus.

Of course the welfare system is not the problem - though I agree retirement ages should be increased. The problem is that during the 90s boom many governments reduced taxes when they should have increased them, allowing them to rapidly pay off debt and giving them plenty of breathing space for the inevitable slowdown.
    though I agree retirement ages should be increased??

typical statement from someone who has obviously not done a hard days work in their
    life. Not everyone goes to work in an air conditioned office. Id round all you academics
    up and put you to work sawing down trees in Siberia, then you might like to talk about
    raising the retirement age.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 17:46
    Norway. Huge benefits. Full employment. Inconvenient, isn't it?

[b]If people have family, eventually the family will kick them out if they continue to do nothing.

Right.[/b]
    Perhaps Norway is Europe's answer to the Chinese.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 18:32
    Perhaps Norway is Europe's answer to the Chinese.
    if Scotland had full access to its mineral wealth we would be the sixth richest nation in
    the world, comparable to the Norwegians, all that oil and only five million or so Scots.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 19:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if Scotland had full access to its mineral wealth we would be the sixth richest nation in
    the world, comparable to the Norwegians, all that oil and only five million or so Scots.
    Why don't you have access?
  10. Germany
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 19:26
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Why don't you have access?
    It is UK territory, the revenues go to the UK government.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 19:421 edit
    It is UK territory, the revenues go to the UK government.
    Doesn't the UK government represent Scotland?

I think I get it now. He means if Scotland didn't have to share with England, N Ireland and Wales it would be wealthy.
  12. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    09 Nov '11 20:34
    It's the fact that their currency is artificially low that helps to make them such a great exporting power.

It's the fact that they have their spending under control that allows them to finance the rest of the world.
    What spending is under control? The Chinese barely have a welfare state - which is why their population saves so much - rather then spending on all our wonderful western goods!

The chinese currency has risen about 30% against the dollar in recent years - sure the Chinese are managing this appreciation of their currency in a steady manner to prevent mass unemployment in China - who can blame them - but it is lazy just to say they are keeping their currency low to help their exporters.

I agree Europe has become fat and lazy - a lot of Europe has relied on immigration for economic growth. But we are now at risk of losing our democratic rights as the unelected IMF takes control. Our environmental leadership has gone out the window as we seek to save money.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree