Executive vs worker pay growth

Executive vs worker pay growth

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
01 Jul 13
3 edits

Corporations, through their well funded public relations machines and conservative political ties have placed the blame for all America's economic ills on unions, and liberal economic policies. i.e. whenever we hear about the economic downfall of Detroit, all we hear is the UAW and those unfeeling assembly line workers. The same holds for America's manufacturing base, which is a tiny fraction of what it was. While it's true that some union workers pay has gone too far, no one seems to want to talk about the skyrocketing rates of executive compensation. In the last few decades. CEO's, CFO's, Presidents, and Vice Presidents' pay and benefits have reached the hights of corporate royalty. Little is also mentioned of the fringe benefits for corporate royalty such as lavish corporate retreats in places like the south of France, Switzerland, the Cayman Islands, St. Thomas etc. as well as golden parachutes, bonus's, corporate jets, and the list goes on and on. Executive compensation is sucking the life out of earnings, and those at the bottom always shoulder the blame, and the bulk of firings, and layoff's when this happens.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/02/ceo-pay-worker-pay_n_1471685.html

http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/19/news/economy/ceo-pay/index.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/30/business/an-unstoppable-climb-in-ceo-pay.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Cape Town

Moves
01 Jul 13

Originally posted by bill718
While it's true that some union workers pay has gone too far,
In what way has it 'gone too far'? Who decides what is too far and what is 'just right'?

no one seems to want to talk about the skyrocketing rates of executive compensation. In the last few decades.
I hear lots of talk about it, just not much action.

As long as the management sets the salaries, management will get paid the best. Its as simple as that.
The only way to reverse the trend is unions, and the US bosses have done a good job of squashing unions.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
02 Jul 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
In what way has it 'gone too far'? Who decides what is too far and what is 'just right'?

[b]no one seems to want to talk about the skyrocketing rates of executive compensation. In the last few decades.

I hear lots of talk about it, just not much action.

As long as the management sets the salaries, management will get paid the best. Its as simpl ...[text shortened]... to reverse the trend is unions, and the US bosses have done a good job of squashing unions.[/b]
I don't think it is a matter of one or the other, but rather that both management and labor are often overpaid. The management numbers may seem more impressive since they go to a single individual or a select few, but the union labor is far greater a cost due to simple numbers.