eye for eye, spine for spine

eye for eye, spine for spine

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
23 Aug 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/20/saudi.arabia.paralysis/?hpt=T2

Saudi Arabia urged not to paralyze man as retribution punishment
By the CNN Wire Staff
August 21, 2010 4:18 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Amnesty International on Friday urged Saudi Arabian authorities not to paralyze a man as punishment for his having paralyzed someone else, allegedly during a ...[text shortened]... police, resulting in a general sentence of seven months," he told the newspaper.

I say leave it up to the accused. He can accept paralysis and go free immediately since that pays the debt. Or, he can spend the rest of his life in prison.

Which would you choose?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
23 Aug 10

Originally posted by Barts
Is this your reaction to everything ? As long as something doesn't directly affect a person he has no right to have an opinion on it ?
no.
no.

Z

Moves
23 Aug 10

Originally posted by spruce112358
I say leave it up to the accused. He can accept paralysis and go free immediately since that pays the debt. Or, he can spend the rest of his life in prison.

Which would you choose?
you don't get life imprisonment for attempted murder.
should you?

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
23 Aug 10

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
you don't get life imprisonment for attempted murder.
should you?
Well, I think the irreversible injury to the victim has to be taken into account. A long time, anyway.

But if the perpretrator accepts equivalent injury to himself, can he be let go immediately?

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
23 Aug 10

In fact, in general, should crimnials be allowed to propose "torture" for themselves -- perhaps with the concurrence of the victims -- as an acceptable alternative to imprisonment. After such "just punishment", the prisoner would then be released.

(We could ban monetary considerations since that would unjustly favor the wealthy.)

Could reduce the prison population somewhat.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
24 Aug 10