Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 26 Sep '16 15:30
    My local newspaper says it will be fact checking the debate and posting results as it is underway. What other news sources/commentators will be doing this?
  2. 26 Sep '16 15:43
    Originally posted by JS357
    My local newspaper says it will be fact checking the debate and posting results as it is underway. What other news sources/commentators will be doing this?
    Just flash 'lie' at the bottom of the screen and you'll be covered.
  3. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    26 Sep '16 18:00
    Originally posted by JS357
    My local newspaper says it will be fact checking the debate and posting results as it is underway. What other news sources/commentators will be doing this?
    I wonder how harsh the fact checking will be going on real time and if the fact checkers
    facts line up with reality. Seems to be the buzz word before the debate! Kind of makes me
    wonder what all the talking heads will be doing to push their girl or guy across the goal line.
  4. 26 Sep '16 23:06
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I wonder how harsh the fact checking will be going on real time and if the fact checkers
    facts line up with reality. Seems to be the buzz word before the debate! Kind of makes me
    wonder what all the talking heads will be doing to push their girl or guy across the goal line.
    Wired.com will have a live blog fact checking during the debate.
  5. 27 Sep '16 01:48
    Originally posted by JS357
    My local newspaper says it will be fact checking the debate and posting results as it is underway. What other news sources/commentators will be doing this?
    politifact
  6. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    27 Sep '16 01:52
    Of the two I think Clinton is going to be better at not being caught out by a fact checker. Whether she's telling porkies or not she knows what is known and won't contradict that. Trump on the other hand...
  7. 27 Sep '16 09:12
    It is interesting though that the facts that need checking are all the wrong ones. What should matter is the different policies and whether or not those policies will lead to the desired outcomes. These are remarkably hard things to fact check. So instead, the fact checking will likely focus on 'who said what' in the past which really has nothing to do with policy.
  8. 27 Sep '16 10:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is interesting though that the facts that need checking are all the wrong ones. What should matter is the different policies and whether or not those policies will lead to the desired outcomes. These are remarkably hard things to fact check. So instead, the fact checking will likely focus on 'who said what' in the past which really has nothing to do with policy.
    Just leave the fact checking to the moderator who failed to correct Hillary when she denied supporting NAFTA as the gold standard but was ready to rebuff Trump for saying he did not support the Gulf War.
  9. 27 Sep '16 10:32
    http://www.cc.com/video-clips/o847nu/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-glenn-kessler-on-fact-checking-the-presidential-debates
  10. 29 Sep '16 12:25
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBweUnkfQ2E