05 May '10 02:08
    Originally posted by sh76
    A) morally praiseworthy

B) morally negative

C) morally neutral

D) morality is irrelevant

??

Discuss
    Faith is psychological. Morality is a lubricant for human interaction.
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    05 May '10 02:17
    A) morally praiseworthy

B) morally negative

C) morally neutral

??

Discuss
    How are C and D different?

I would choose C and/or D.

Faith is purely amoral.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '10 03:46
    A) morally praiseworthy

B) morally negative

C) morally neutral

??

Discuss
    Faith is the basis for our interactions with both people and the world around us. Imagine a world in which you feel that you cannot trust any one person or not even be able to trust that a car would start or a light to switch on when you reach to turn on a light etc.

As I have posted many times in the spirituality forum, love is the single most important phenomenon in our lives. Without it, our lives have no meaning, no purpose, no fulfillment. For good or for bad, faith is a vital component in any loving relationship.

Having said that, I view faith as a vital component to our overall happiness and well being. So in this regard I say its praisworthy. We just need a little wisdom in placing our faith in our fellow man. After all, not everyone has our best interests at heart nor are they 100% reliable when they do.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 May '10 05:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    Faith is the basis for our interactions with both people and the world around us. Imagine a world in which you feel that you cannot trust any one person or not even be able to trust that a car would start or a light to switch on when you reach to turn on a light etc.

As I have posted many times in the spirituality forum, love is the single most important ...[text shortened]... After all, not everyone has our best interests at heart nor are they 100% reliable when they do.
    I think you need to replace "faith" with the word "trust" in your post so that it makes good unambiguous sense.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    05 May '10 07:39
    C. Your thought and convictions do not - at least intrinsically - affect anyone. Only an act can have some moral value, positive or negative.
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    05 May '10 07:49

As I have posted many times in the spirituality forum, love is the single most important ...[text shortened]... After all, not everyone has our best interests at heart nor are they 100% reliable when they do.
    Faith is the belief in something without proof or reason, generally I trust people because generally people are trustworthy, that is not a matter of faith, get bitten a few times and you may build a profile of those that cannot generally be trusted, again, not a matter of faith.

Faith is the abandonment of reason.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 May '10 08:58
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    I like this definition!

Abandonment, or non-reason if reason never was there before.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '10 11:192 edits
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Faith is the belief in something without proof or reason, generally I trust people because generally people are trustworthy, that is not a matter of faith, get bitten a few times and you may build a profile of those that cannot generally be trusted, again, not a matter of faith.

I would have to disagree. No one places their faith in something devoid of reason, not even those who are religious. The assumption is that religioun is devoid of reason which is pure bunk. In fact, I can give you a whole slew of "reasons" why I believe in God including various bits of evidence. Of course, that does not mean I have proved my "reason" for my faith. I hope you can appreciate the difference.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    05 May '10 11:28
    I would have to disagree. No one places their faith in something devoid of reason, not even those who are religious. The assumption is that religioun is devoid of reason which is pure bunk. In fact, I can give you a whole slew of "reasons" why I believe in God including various bits of evidence. Of course, that does not mean I have proved my "reason" for my faith. I hope you can appreciate the difference.
    This thread is about morality, not about reasons to believe in a deity. Take it to spirituality.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 May '10 11:29
    I hope you can appreciate the difference.
    I hope you can appreciate the difference between the uncountable noun "reason" and the countable noun "reason".
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '10 11:331 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    This thread is about morality, not about reasons to believe in a deity. Take it to spirituality.
    The accusation was made that my faith in God was devoid of reason. This is pure bunk and pertatent to the conversation at hand. In fact, I defy anyone to provide me and example of faith that is devoid of reason.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '10 11:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think you need to replace "faith" with the word "trust" in your post so that it makes good unambiguous sense.
    Show me an example of faith devoid of trust.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '10 11:391 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I hope you can appreciate the difference between the uncountable noun "reason" and the countable noun "reason".
    Countable reasons? I can provide you a myriad of countable reasons of my belief in God based soley on the number of lives I have personally seen transformed by God including my own. I can caout to the myriad of prophecies that point to the Messiah Jesus Christ. In fact, Daniel lays out a calender in Daniel 9:24-27 that points to the coming of Jesus Christ some 500 years later!!

Countable reasons? How's that?
  15. Germany
    Moves
    05 May '10 11:42
    Countable reasons? I can provide you a myriad of countable reasons of my belief in God based soley on the number of lives I have personally seen transformed by God including my own. I can caout to the myriad of prophecies that point to the Messiah Jesus Christ. In fact, Daniel lays out a calender in Daniel 9:24-27 that points to the coming of Jesus Christ some 500 years later!!

Countable reasons? How's that?
    So I suppose that means you don't appreciate the difference between the uncountable noun "reason" and the countable noun "reason".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree