1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Dec '15 01:201 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ronald Reagan said, "The best social program is a productive job for anyone who’s willing to work." Yet, liberals work incessantly to make it harder for poor Americans to find jobs. As the CBO confirmed, Barack Obama's proposal to increase the minimum wage to $10.10 per hour would cost 500,000 jobs. In D.C. big box stores like Wal-Mart were targeted with a ne ...[text shortened]... nesses will hire poor Americans, not set up even more policies that keep them from getting jobs.
    If all you want to do is crusade against the minimum wage, then using the words of the 1st President to support and have enacted a Federal minimum wage is a bizarre way to do so.

It's hardly worth the time to do what has been done on this forum many times i.e. to present economic research showing that job losses from increases in the minimum wage are empirically few or more likely non-existent and that such policies increase the income of the social group FDR's State of the Union Address was most concerned with.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Dec '15 01:431 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If all you want to do is crusade against the minimum wage, then using the words of the 1st President to support and have enacted a Federal minimum wage is a bizarre way to do so.

It's hardly worth the time to do what has been done on this forum many times i.e. to present economic research showing that job losses from increases in the minimum wage are ...[text shortened]... ncrease the income of the social group FDR's State of the Union Address was most concerned with.
    Raising the minimum wage seems a good idea, but it seems to only result in inflation of all wages and costs.

The person that has been working at the job for a year or more is going to think it unfair that he/she is getting the same wages a person just starting. Therefore, they will request higher wages and then the costs for the employer will go up requiring the employer to raise the price of the services or products provided or go out of business.

Then in a couple years the same process must be repeated. This is the testimony of history. 😏
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Dec '15 03:07
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Interesting quote from FDR there:

[b]No wise man has any intention of destroying what is known as the "profit motive", because by the profit motive we mean the right by work to earn a decent livelihood for ourselves and our families.

This is false. Capitalists make profits. Workers make wages. The profit motive applies only to the wealthy.[/b]
    Capitalists take profits.
    I don't think they make anything!
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Dec '15 03:46
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Capitalists take profits.
    I don't think they make anything!
    They provide the capital so others can make things. 😏
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    28 Dec '15 10:58
    Ronald Reagan said, "The best social program is a productive job for anyone who’s willing to work." Yet, liberals work incessantly to make it harder for poor Americans to find jobs. As the CBO confirmed, Barack Obama's proposal to increase the minimum wage to $10.10 per hour would cost 500,000 jobs. In D.C. big box stores like Wal-Mart were targeted with a ne ...[text shortened]... nesses will hire poor Americans, not set up even more policies that keep them from getting jobs.
    Whodey - I was in my 20's during both Reagan administrations, and can assure you the economy under Reagan was on the LOW side of average, so don't start holding Reagan up as a shining example of how an economy should run, you're talking nonsense here.

500,000 jobs? Really? Our minimum wage here in Washington State is one of the highest in nation, and our economy is booming, so don't sell us that silly story of yours. Employees here are leaving Wal Mart, McDonald's and other low wage jobs for higher paying one's.

You claim to actually know something about economics....you don't!
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Dec '15 11:322 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    Whodey - I was in my 20's during both Reagan administrations, and can assure you the economy under Reagan was on the LOW side of average, so don't start holding Reagan up as a shining example of how an economy should run, you're talking nonsense here.

500,000 jobs? Really? Our minimum wage here in Washington State is one of the highest in nation, and our ...[text shortened]... s for higher paying one's.

I understand that Wahington is a state like Texas that does not tax individual income. Low taxes is a conservative economic plan for better economic growth. The liberal Democrat plan is to tax more and spend more and the heck with balancing the budget. 😏
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '15 11:562 edits
    Originally posted by bill718

500,000 jobs? Really? Our minimum wage here in Washington State is one of the highest in nation, and our ...[text shortened]... s for higher paying one's.

Big employers that do not provide their employees a health plan are the first that will face the $15 per hour minimum, a requirement that will be fully phased in around 2017. Large employers who offer health benefits will have to pay the $15 minimum starting in 2018.

So no, the plan is not fully implemented yet so the verdict is still out.

I don't take issue with individual states experimenting with this sort of thing, because they are like lab rats. What I do take issue with is the dogmatic belief on anything that I'm right so the entire nation must follow attitude. That sort of self righteous attitude from the left grows tiresome.

Let the stats speak for themselves when they come out.

In general though, I'm not sure what harm it does anyone to work for a wage under the minimum wage. Do you?
  8. Germany
    Moves
    28 Dec '15 15:32
    So no, the plan is not fully implemented yet so the verdict is still out.
    The jury's just back from their visit to Australia - it seems they have had a relatively high minimum wage for years and it didn't lead to mass unemployment.
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    28 Dec '15 17:461 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I understand that Wahington is a state like Texas that does not tax individual income. Low taxes is a conservative economic plan for better economic growth. The liberal Democrat plan is to tax more and spend more and the heck with balancing the budget. 😏
    Wrong again RJ! Washing State's budget balances every year because we tax other things such as real estate at a higher rate than most other states. You "understand" incorrectly!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree