Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    14 Dec '15 22:25
    Be afraid, be very afraid!!

    So who is more fearful of what?

    Who votes:

    1. Climate change
    2. Terrorism

    Which message wins in 2016?
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    14 Dec '15 22:291 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Be afraid, be very afraid!!

    So who is more fearful of what?

    Who votes:

    1. Climate change
    2. Terrorism

    Which message wins in 2016?
    I'm not "afraid" of either of them but climate change is more dangerous than terrorism. Terrorists can't inflict the kind of damage that chronic droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods etc will do.

    Now, Russia has no reason to fear climate change. But that's because their country is too cold. Too much ice, requires too much fuel for heating, low agricultural yields per acre due to low solar flux etc.

    But the USA has historically had nearly perfect climate (as has Southern Europe, China and Argentina). So climate change is not what we want.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    14 Dec '15 22:38
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm not "afraid" of either of them but climate change is more dangerous than terrorism. Terrorists can't inflict the kind of damage that chronic droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods etc will do.

    Now, Russia has no reason to fear climate change. But that's because their country is too cold. Too much ice, requires too much fuel for heating, low ...[text shortened]... t climate (as has Southern Europe, China and Argentine). So climate change is not what we want.
    So there is one vote for fearing climate change

    Any others?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    14 Dec '15 23:41
    We are all gonna die!! 😲

    So choose your method of death, Dim or GOP?
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Joined
    21 Oct '06
    Moves
    2598
    15 Dec '15 02:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm not "afraid" of either of them but climate change is more dangerous than terrorism. Terrorists can't inflict the kind of damage that chronic droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods etc will do.

    Now, Russia has no reason to fear climate change. But that's because their country is too cold. Too much ice, requires too much fuel for heating, low ...[text shortened]... t climate (as has Southern Europe, China and Argentina). So climate change is not what we want.
    Even in so called ideal climates, warmer is likely better. In the US, several degrees F, anywhere would not be catastrophic, and in many places would be welcomed.

    That "climate change" would bring about the "chronic droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods" is far from proven fact. In fact, fairly recent fluctuations regionally at least haven't been so catastrophic at all.

    Greenland had a temporary warming, with a resulting migration to farm there, admittedly short lived, as the cold climate returned.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Joined
    21 Oct '06
    Moves
    2598
    15 Dec '15 02:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    Be afraid, be very afraid!!

    So who is more fearful of what?

    Who votes:

    1. Climate change
    2. Terrorism

    Which message wins in 2016?
    Terrorism is the greater tangible fear. It is real! It is present tense! Climate change, is something I've lived with all my life. Not too bad, the weather being unpredictable.
  7. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    15 Dec '15 04:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    Be afraid, be very afraid!!

    So who is more fearful of what?

    Who votes:

    1. Climate change
    2. Terrorism

    Which message wins in 2016?
    I am somewhat fearful of ISIS as they are an arm of the CIA which is purdy darned evil
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    15 Dec '15 07:11
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Terrorism is the greater tangible fear. It is real! It is present tense! Climate change, is something I've lived with all my life. Not too bad, the weather being unpredictable.
    Terrorism is by far the greater threat to us (the middle-aged, wealthy, Western world)
    but Climate Change is a bigger danger to our kids and grand-kids.
  9. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    15 Dec '15 07:201 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Now, Russia has no reason to fear climate change.
    Climate change could very well result in parts of Russia getting colder or drier. Even hotter and wetter could disrupt agricultural systems and cause problems.
  10. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    15 Dec '15 07:27
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Terrorism is by far the greater threat to us (the middle-aged, wealthy, Western world)
    but Climate Change is a bigger danger to our kids and grand-kids.
    I disagree. We don't actually know what effect climate change has had on storms, but unusual weather is already causing deaths in the US. As for monetary threats if the drought in California has anything to do with Climate change then that too must be taken into consideration. The wars in the Middle East are largely over oil and cannot be put down as the cost of terrorism.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13029
    15 Dec '15 09:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    Be afraid, be very afraid!!

    So who is more fearful of what?

    Who votes:

    1. Climate change
    2. Terrorism

    Which message wins in 2016?
    Terrorism and liberal Democrats. 😏
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52853
    15 Dec '15 12:24
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Even in so called ideal climates, warmer is likely better. In the US, several degrees F, anywhere would not be catastrophic, and in many places would be welcomed.

    That "climate change" would bring about the "chronic droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods" is far from proven fact. In fact, fairly recent fluctuations regionally at least haven't been s ...[text shortened]... with a resulting migration to farm there, admittedly short lived, as the cold climate returned.
    Well, there you are. Head firmly up your ass.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52853
    15 Dec '15 12:24
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Terrorism and liberal Democrats. 😏
    Repubs and RJ
  14. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    15 Dec '15 15:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    Be afraid, be very afraid!!

    So who is more fearful of what?

    Who votes:

    1. Climate change
    2. Terrorism

    Which message wins in 2016?
    Don't worry whodey, it is not very likely that terrorists will target trailer parks.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Joined
    21 Oct '06
    Moves
    2598
    15 Dec '15 15:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I disagree. We don't actually know what effect climate change has had on storms, but unusual weather is already causing deaths in the US. As for monetary threats if the drought in California has anything to do with Climate change then that too must be taken into consideration. The wars in the Middle East are largely over oil and cannot be put down as the cost of terrorism.
    There has always been climate change, and its not going away.
Back to Top