1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 16:391 edit
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    Nothing else needs to be banned. Everything is a potential distraction. People need to learn to deal with the they might not have the coolest material possession.
    As an employer, you are free to ban whatever you wish in order to train your staff and run a business.

School is no different, other than taxpayers flipping the bill instead of industry.

With school performance in the US being so low, perhaps they should try something else verses just doing the same things over and over and over hoping for a better result.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 17:40
    Originally posted by @whodey
    As an employer, you are free to ban whatever you wish in order to train your staff and run a business.

School is no different, other than taxpayers flipping the bill instead of industry.

With school performance in the US being so low, perhaps they should try something else verses just doing the same things over and over and over hoping for a better result.
    When I taught ten years ago, New York city had the same (wrong) idea of banning cel phones. It would have been far easier to just tell people to put them away.
    Instead, there were issues of what happens if a phone comes into school. Is it confiscated? who confiscates it? when can you search for a phone? who searches it? what happens to the a confiscated phone, what happens if you confiscate the wrong phone (a third party phone, an improperly searched phone), is there ever a legitimate reason to use a phone? How do you secure confiscated phones? What happens if confiscated phone is lost or broken? What happens when people are upset about their phone being taken away?
    Schools should focus on their mission of educating students -- not creating systems to insulate us from innocuous items like cel phones.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 17:43
    When I taught ten years ago, New York city had the same (wrong) idea of banning cel phones. It would have been far easier to just tell people to put them away.
    Instead, there were issues of what happens if a phone comes into school. Is it confiscated? who confiscates it? when can you search for a phone? who searches it? what happens to the a c ...[text shortened]... educating students -- not creating systems to insulate us from innocuous items like cel phones.
    If a student whips out a chess game to play with another student during class time, it should be taken from them.

Children should be taught to respect authority and comply with such reasonable demands.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 18:28
    Banning technology is a ridiculous educational concept.
    An M16 is “technology.”

Don’t be ridiculous.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 18:42
    If a student whips out a chess game to play with another student during class time, it should be taken from them.

Children should be taught to respect authority and comply with such reasonable demands.
    Of course but you advocated banning technology. I simply advocate simply telling people to put away things they aren't using.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 18:43
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    An M16 is “technology.”

Don’t be ridiculous.
    Perhaps, I'm wrong, but I do believe it isn't the type of technology that people should be using in school.
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 19:14
    Teaching kids about technology is one thing, but having those devices around while trying to study other subjects is another.

What really makes me sad is, those poor kids that cannot afford phones, but their parents pay the absurdly high costs anyway so that their children are not social outcasts on the playground.

Corporations are robbing us blind.
    It is amusing that the corporate world which has always been the domain of the right is now being championed by the left.
    The corporate world is now the "enemy of the people".

As a Canadian, I have always stated that GOP and DEMS have always been pro free market and pro Capitalist.

So why the shift ??

My thinking is that with rapid advances in technology and science, the corporate world has advanced along with the scientific community and learned to think outside the box.

And thinking outside the box is something more associated with liberalism and progressive thinking.

And less associated with conservative thinking.

After all, do you really think Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk and all want to align themselves with those who think dinosaurs walked the Earth 4000 years ago ?? 😛
  8. RSA
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 19:36
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    It is amusing that the corporate world which has always been the domain of the right is now being championed by the left.
    The corporate world is now the "enemy of the people".

As a Canadian, I have always stated that GOP and DEMS have always been pro free market and pro Capitalist.

So why the shift ??

My thinking is that with rapid advances in tec ...[text shortened]... ll want to align themselves with those who think dinosaurs walked the Earth 4000 years ago ?? 😛
    I think Elon Musk is somewhat of a Republican, if I recall correctly. Being from South Africa, the opportunities that America presented him with led him to love the country - he is very pro-American I think and for him, the Republican party suits his views.
  9. RSA
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 19:44
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/french-kids-head-back-school-without-phones-160307415--abc-news-topstories.html

The French ban phones and computers and tablets, etc., from schools across France.

Yay.
    It's a tough one. There is a case for both sides. On one hand, it is a distraction and can be addicting. On the other hand, trying to keep children away from it might lead them to want it more and stop them from learning how to effectively integrate technology into their lives without letting it consume them.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 19:48
    Banning technology is a ridiculous educational concept.
    Correct.
    Banning technology in the classroom seems sensible.
    When I was at school we were not allowed to take steam engines into the classroom.
  11. RSA
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 19:54
    I think it's good for children to be educated about technology from a young age so that they can learn to use it for what it is good for. When I was a small child, my rural school had some spluttery late 90's computers with dial-up internet. In the final days of 2004, I distinctly recall using the computer to find information about the boxing day tsunami - the computer could be used to get useful information.
  12. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 20:29
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/french-kids-head-back-school-without-phones-160307415--abc-news-topstories.html

The French ban phones and computers and tablets, etc., from schools across France.

Yay.
    Pencil and paper yesteryear.
    Tablets today.

When students 40 years ago used pencil and paper to doodle Peanuts characters instead of solving math problems, they didn't ban pencils.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 20:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 12:42

Yay.
    Wut?
    I agree with you on something.

Read some of the posts.
    Of course kids should be taught to use phones, computers, fridge doors, etc.

But they should also be taught to bloody concentrate, pay attention and that social media is not a substitute for human interaction.

And children texting in class is as annoying as adults texting during meetings.

I’m all for bringing corporal punishment to the meeting table.
    You check your phone, you get smacked with a ruler.

Check it three times and that phone goes right up your rectum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree