1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 13:19
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/french-kids-head-back-school-without-phones-160307415--abc-news-topstories.html

The French ban phones and computers and tablets, etc., from schools across France.

Yay.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 13:33
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/french-kids-head-back-school-without-phones-160307415--abc-news-topstories.html

The French ban phones and computers and tablets, etc., from schools across France.

Yay.
    Banning technology is a ridiculous educational concept.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 13:34

Yay.
    I hope they like their kids growing up even more stupid than Americans.

I guess whodey finally found his role model.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 13:352 edits
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    Banning technology is a ridiculous educational concept.
    Teaching kids about technology is one thing, but having those devices around while trying to study other subjects is another.

What really makes me sad is, those poor kids that cannot afford phones, but their parents pay the absurdly high costs anyway so that their children are not social outcasts on the playground.

Corporations are robbing us blind.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 13:46
    Teaching kids about technology is one thing, but having those devices around while trying to study other subjects is another.

What really makes me sad is, those poor kids that cannot afford phones, but their parents pay the absurdly high costs anyway so that their children are not social outcasts on the playground.

Corporations are robbing us blind.
    Clothes can also be absurdly expensive and children can be social outcasts if they don't have the latest fashion. Perhaps the logical solution would be for schools to ban clothing as well.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 14:012 edits
    Clothes can also be absurdly expensive and children can be social outcasts if they don't have the latest fashion. Perhaps the logical solution would be for schools to ban clothing as well.
    True, I'm all about uniforms as well.

It is interesting that the Left is defending corporate America now

I view corporations like AT&T as nothing more than a non-government tax, because they know that people require their technology now just to hold down a job.

I anticipate at some point you will not be able to function within society at all without their little devices they charge absurdly high amounts of money for.

But Dims are all about taking our money, in any way possible.

And let's be honest here, people are unable to function without their phones now and would pay any price to have them.
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 14:11
    I think that it is perfectly fine.

It's not like by banning it there they are going to actually take it completely out of anyone's lives.

In a sense, it is restoring balance.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 14:19
    True, I'm all about uniforms as well.

It is interesting that the Left is defending corporate America now

I view corporations like AT&T as nothing more than a non-government tax, because they know that people require their technology now just to hold down a job.

I anticipate at some point you will not be able to function within society at all without ...[text shortened]... re, people are unable to function without their phones now and would pay any price to have them.
    If the uniforms are too expensive because the government or corporations that produce them will you advocate nudity in school? The sensible solution is to allow people to use technology and wear their own clothes to school and not cater to those who are too sensitive about not having the overly expensive but unnecessary article of clothing or technological item.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 14:43
    If the uniforms are too expensive because the government or corporations that produce them will you advocate nudity in school? The sensible solution is to allow people to use technology and wear their own clothes to school and not cater to those who are too sensitive about not having the overly expensive but unnecessary article of clothing or technological item.
    The issue is distractions at school that impede learning, devices and clothing being two unnecessary distractions.

As a rule though, these devices may seem benign, but they are altering our existence.

Now we can be tracked with them and people can ease drop on our conversations with them as well.

Soon I think they will be required for money transactions. Imagine, every financial activity that can be traced at the blink of an eye.

Think of the potential abuses by Big Brother. That is why it shocks me that a government prohibiting them in schools.
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 15:26
    The issue is distractions at school that impede learning, devices and clothing being two unnecessary distractions.

As a rule though, these devices may seem benign, but they are altering our existence.

Now we can be tracked with them and people can ease drop on our conversations with them as well.

Soon I think they will be required for money transact ...[text shortened]... abuses by Big Brother. That is why it shocks me that a government prohibiting them in schools.
    Computers are a learning device. People use them for research, to write and edit papers. Banning computers from school seems absolutely ridiculous. You probably would have banned pens and paper as fancy distractions and we'd still be etching in stone.
    Telephones are a communication device. Small children in urban areas take public transportation at night to get home. It is not unreasonable for them to be able to make a phone call in emergency. Responsible students stay after school for extra help or clubs or sporting events. Things don't always end at a set time. It is not unreasonable to have a phone to speak to someone who might pick you up or want to know your plan. Banning technology is always foolish.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 15:36
    Computers are a learning device. People use them for research, to write and edit papers. Banning computers from school seems absolutely ridiculous. You probably would have banned pens and paper as fancy distractions and we'd still be etching in stone.
    Telephones are a communication device. Small children in urban areas take public transportation at ...[text shortened]... someone who might pick you up or want to know your plan. Banning technology is always foolish.
    The ban would not apply to the task at hand in school, but everything else would be.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 15:55
    When people are being paid to train for something then all distractions need to be held at a minimum.

What is so hard with this concept?
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 16:05
    When people are being paid to train for something then all distractions need to be held at a minimum.

What is so hard with this concept?
    We both know that there is only one distraction that school need to ban: guns.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 16:081 edit
    We both know that there is only one distraction that school need to ban: guns.
    Yes we know, and they are banned from schools.

Thanks for that.
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 16:18
    Yes we know, and they are banned from schools.

Thanks for that.
    Nothing else needs to be banned. Everything is a potential distraction. People need to learn to deal with the they might not have the coolest material possession.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree