24 Aug '16 02:201 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 08:01
    Originally posted by quackquack
    When did you officially become in charge of telling people how to respond?
    when i made a thread.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 08:14
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    That's great!! Let's all celebrate the rise of religiously inspired garments and let's all pretend that it is a "choice" that women make and let's all be happy that this garbage that was tossed away by modern western societies many years ago is making a comeback, because cultures that are clearly years and years behind ours are good at waving swords. ...[text shortened]... sruptive influence yet another backwards religion has on the world!

Hooray!
    Hooray!
    Hooray!
    muslim parents encouraged a young woman to go practice sports. if you would have researched her further you would also have known she has her own clothing designer company where she creates garments for muslim women. she is american and an adult.

you assumed she is oppressed and forced to wear the hijab yet she is "allowed" to participate in the olympics? you assume her father is oppressive but she "allowed" her to appear on Ellen's show, an openly gay woman?
    Perhaps the gentleman assumes too much

yes, some women are oppressed in the muslim faith. some women are oppressed in the christian faith as well.
    Ibtihaj Muhammad is not oppressed. She was lucky to be born with incredible talent and from parents who love her very much. She chose to be muslim and observe the hijab, it's her choice.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 14:271 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    muslim parents encouraged a young woman to go practice sports. if you would have researched her further you would also have known she has her own clothing designer company where she creates garments for muslim women. she is american and an adult.

you assumed she is oppressed and forced to wear the hijab yet she is "allowed" to participate in the oly ...[text shortened]... m parents who love her very much. She chose to be muslim and observe the hijab, it's her choice.
    The spirit of acceptance of another is culture being shown in this video is beautiful. We (especially in this election) need to show the world we're not against them as people.

However, Islam is still a religion, and most religions needlessly make life harder for others, especially women. The woman described being especially hot when running track (and probably when playing basketball). Was this woman allowed to refuse hijab as a child? Had she said "no" to her parents, could she have went to school without hijab?

Even if hijab is a choice for her, it's not a choice for many Muslim women, who risk death if they go out in public without hijab.

So while we should applaud the attitude of inclusion displayed in the video, let's not be blind to the fact that religion (Christianity included) has an overall negative effect on the world.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 14:54
    Originally posted by vivify
    The spirit of acceptance of another is culture being shown in this video is beautiful. We (especially in this election) need to show the world we're not against them as people.

However, Islam is still a religion, and most religions needlessly make life harder for others, especially women. The woman described being especially hot when running track (and p ...[text shortened]... d to the fact that religion (Christianity included) has an overall negative effect on the world.
    However, Islam is still a religion, and most religions needlessly make life harder for others, especially women"
    people do that, not religion. the majority of religious people observe their religion because they choose to.

"Was this woman allowed to refuse hijab as a child?"
    she wasn't a woman then, she was a child. can a child refuse anything their parents impose if it's not against the law?

"The woman described being especially hot when running track (and probably when playing basketball)"
    her wearing a hijab was more important to her parents than her playing basketball or running track. she was still encouraged to pursue sports. when fencing was brought to her mother's attention, she asked (not forced) the child to try it.

"Had she said "no" to her parents, could she have went to school without hijab? "
    had a child said "no, i don't want to wear pants to school" could that child have gone to school without pants?
    can any child do anything without her parents' approval?

"So while we should applaud the attitude of inclusion displayed in the video, let's not be blind to the fact that religion (Christianity included) has an overall negative effect on the world."
    using overall means you can prove the majority of christians/muslims/hindus/buddhist suffer because of their religion which is simply false.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 15:305 edits
    However, Islam is still a religion, and most religions needlessly make life harder for others, especially women"
    people do that, not religion. the majority of religious people observe their religion because they choose to.

"Was this woman allowed to refuse hijab as a child?"
    she wasn't a woman then, she was a child. can a child refuse anything their ...[text shortened]... o the fact that religion (Christianity included) has an overall negative effect on the world."
    Most parents, to some extent, let their kids choose what they'll wear. It seems that you agree this woman, as a child, was given no choice in wearing hijab.

using overall means you can prove the majority of christians/muslims/hindus/buddhist suffer because of their religion which is simply false.
    That's not what I said. I said religion has an overall negative effect on the world. It doesn't mean that practitioners of the religion always have to be the ones suffering. For example, terrorist attacks from Muslims regarding Charlie Hebdo; Christians shooting up and bombing abortion clinics, or picketing with signs saying "God hates fags". And I'm sure you're aware of the many times religion has hindered scientific progress.

Religion has an overall negative effect on the world, whether it's oppressing their own followers, hurting people outside the religion, or hindering social and scientific progress.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 15:361 edit
    So it seems that you agree this woman, as a child, had no choice in wearing hijab. Let's move on.

[b]using overall means you can prove the majority of christians/muslims/hindus/buddhist suffer because of their religion which is simply false.

That's not what I said. I said religion has an overall negative effect on the world. It doesn't mean that pr ...[text shortened]... n the world, whether it's oppressing their own followers or hurting people outside the religion.[/b]
    " for example, terrorist attacks from Muslims regarding Charlie Hebdo; Christians shooting up and bombing abortion clinics, or picketing with signs saying "God hates fags"."
    insignificant. isolated incidents compared to the massive number of religion practitioners.

"And I'm sure you're aware of the many times religion has hindered scientific progress."
    that's no longer the case today

"Religion has an overall negative effect on the world, whether it's oppressing their own followers, hurting people outside the religion, or hindering social and scientific progress"
    all you put forward to support this statement are the effects of excesses that seldom happen (even less so nowadays)
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 15:583 edits
    " for example, terrorist attacks from Muslims regarding Charlie Hebdo; Christians shooting up and bombing abortion clinics, or picketing with signs saying "God hates fags"."
    insignificant. isolated incidents compared to the massive number of religion practitioners.
    There are much fewer incidents of cops abusing blacks compared to the number of police officers; does that fact lessen problems with law enforcement? There are far less mass-shootings than there are gun owners; does that fact lessen societies problem with guns?

Likewise, the fact there are fewer acts of religious terrorism compared to the number of followers doesn't lessen the problems that religion causes.

"And I'm sure you're aware of the many times religion has hindered scientific progress."
    that's no longer the case today

Texas still has schools that teach creationism in schools.

It's not just science, but social progress in general that religion hinders. Sharia law still results in gays being killed.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 17:44
    There are much fewer incidents of cops abusing blacks compared to the number of police officers; does that fact lessen problems with law enforcement? There are far less mass-shootings than there are gun owners; does that fact lessen societies problem with guns?

Likewise, the fact there are fewer acts of religious terrorism compared to the number of foll ...[text shortened]... ocial progress in general that religion hinders. Sharia law still results in gays being killed.
    "Texas still has schools that teach creationism in schools."
    you can't possibly claim creationism in elementary schools hinder scientific progress.

"Sharia law still results in gays being killed"
    sharia law is nonexistent in the US. also it is a non factor for the majority of the muslims in the world. the places where it does exist it isn't the only factor that hinders progress.

This was a story about a muslim woman, being successful while managing to remain true to her beliefs. This is the story of the majority of practitioners of religion, worldwide. These are the true religious people, the face of religions, not the very small minorities who have turned themselves into zealots. You have instead chosen to ignore her and focus on the minority.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 19:381 edit

you assumed she is oppressed and forced to wear the hijab yet she is "allowed" to participate in the oly ...[text shortened]... m parents who love her very much. She chose to be muslim and observe the hijab, it's her choice.
    "you assume her father is oppressive"

Try as I might, my brain just cannot comprehend how you came to attribute this claim to me. Nothing I said had anything to do with her father.

"Perhaps the gentleman assumes too much"

Yes, perhaps you did.

Women who are Muslim and wear a hijab (or one of those ridiculous full-body curtains with slits at eye height so that Madam Muslim doesn't constantly bump into walls and such) do not choose to do so. Even when surrounded by people who do not force her to wear a hijab, the simple fact that Islam (or their particular version of Islam) teaches women to wear a hijab takes away the free choice aspect. Something similar might be said for for instance the yarmulke.

Wearing a small crucifix around ones neck, as many Christians do, would be an example of freely choosing to do so, since AFAIK Christianity does not promote wearing such items. Mind you, I still cringe when I see it, since it still promotes religious nonsense.

Long skirts on the other hand are often still worn by Christian women, here in The Netherlands mostly in the Biblebelt, and should not be considered free choice, since it is often part of their religious upbringing.
  11. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 20:01

12. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 20:13
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Well. They banned my first response. So. There is no way in hell I'd give you a dime. It scares me to think of what your your charities are. Kill Whitey maybe?
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 20:23
    " In a thread long before the 2016 Olympics ,I challenged Phil300 to acknowledge that Mo Farah could be really British ,and refused to do so "
    You did no such thing ,you are a liar !
    I am sure you can shift through previous posts and prove your statement ,obviously you cannot and I wait to hear your pathetic excuse .
    When you resort to lying it's yourself you let down and your lack of character .
    I am surprised at you to be honest .
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 20:31
    lb's and stones, feet and inches please .
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 20:332 edits

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree