Foiled 9/11 in Saudi Arabia - Dumb For Terroris...

Foiled 9/11 in Saudi Arabia - Dumb For Terroris...

Debates

Very Mysterious

tinyurl.com/2ycbydds

Moves
29 Apr 07

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Al-Qaida-linked plotters hoped to reproduce the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, planning to send suicide pilots to military bases and attack the oil refineries that drive the economy of Osama bin Laden's homeland, the government said Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Revealing new details of the purported plot, a government spokesman said some of the 172 attackers trained as pilots in an unidentified "troubled country" nearby, hoping to use the planes to carry out suicide attacks.

The spokesman, Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki, would not say where the training took place: "It could be Iraq, Somalia, Pakistan, there are so many troubled regions in the world. I can't specify."

The militants allegedly wanted to use planes "like car bombs ... to use the aircraft as a tool to carry out suicide operations," al-Turki told The Associated Press by phone from this capital city. Targets included Saudi military bases that militants had no other way of reaching but by blowing up an aircraft, he said.

"The last group (we) rounded up are carriers of al-Qaida ideology, working on achieving al-Qaida goals, which is to take over the society," al-Turki said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070429/ap_on_re_mi_ea/saudi_terror_sweep

DUMB move on the part of Al-Quaida. Until this they could at least rely on race and religion. Now he's hitting his own people?

M
Steamin transies

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
[i]RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Al-Qaida-linked plotters hoped to reproduce the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, planning to send suicide pilots to military bases and attack the oil refineries that drive the economy of Osama bin Laden's homeland, the government said Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Revealing new details of the purported plot, a government spo ...[text shortened]... this they could at least rely on race and religion. Now he's hitting his own people?
Bin Laden and the Saudi Royals have had issues for years (they have him the boot) so radical terror striking at Arabia is pretty much a given. That combined with terrs not really taking it easy on any government just shows that no country can opt out or appease their way out of defending against terror.

Something smells in this story though. 172 militants is a lot. It had to be several raids, probably over weeks or months, and no one got killed. That is extremely abnormal for raids on terrorists. They generally fight back. Hard.

Also, they sure as hell didn't get trained in Iraq. There isn't any flight schools there for your average Abdul to join.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
29 Apr 07

Utter rubbish.
Sorry.
Bin Laden wants the oil fields, not to destroy them.

M
Steamin transies

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by shavixmir
Utter rubbish.
Sorry.
Bin Laden wants the oil fields, not to destroy them.
If he does want them, he has to bring down the current government first. Taking out their income seems like a solid tactic.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by Merk
If he does want them, he has to bring down the current government first. Taking out their income seems like a solid tactic.
Isn't half his family already the government?
As for as I know he wants the money to be invested in the average citizen of Saudi Arabia (with presumably a nice amount set aside for himself for the effort and a brand new kidney machine) instead of financing US adventures.

I think I read that in one of their first party political pamflets somewhere...

M
Steamin transies

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by shavixmir
Isn't half his family already the government?
As for as I know he wants the money to be invested in the average citizen of Saudi Arabia (with presumably a nice amount set aside for himself for the effort and a brand new kidney machine) instead of financing US adventures.

I think I read that in one of their first party political pamflets somewhere...
If any of his family hold a political office of some kind, its not high enough to matter.

Snd Saudi Royals financing U.S. Adventures? Dar al-psychopath will believe anything they make up I guess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.