1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 14:46
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/from-brexit-to-texit-renewed-calls-for-texas-secession-after-eu-vote/ar-AAhBJsh?ocid=spartandhp

I'm sure we all have heard of those in Texas who wish to form their own country, knowing that their ambitions are a pipe dream. However, I view their ambitions for self rule about the same as I view Brexit.

In the end, all resistance is futile. The globalist corporate elites will crush them all into one world order of some kind. And if they have to, they will destroy the world economy to do it.

Just remember, everyone wants their freedom, so there must arise a convincing argument to surrender it.

In the words of Friedrich Hayek, "Emergencies have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have eroded."

So as I read article after article of dire warnings of impending global economic doom, I can only assume that it will all come to fruition regarding Brexit. They will eventually bow their knee to the EU once more, or some other larger world body like the IMF.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 15:00
    Texas can't sustain itself without the rest of the U.S. Even if Texas were to officially leave, they'd still be just as dependent on the U.S. (for resources, protection, etc.) as every other state. These stupid Texans don't understand that their lifestyle is only possible because they're part of a system.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 15:055 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    Texas can't sustain itself without the rest of the U.S. Even if Texas were to officially leave, they'd still be just as dependent on the U.S. (for resources, protection, etc.) as every other state. These stupid Texans don't understand that their lifestyle is only possible because they're part of a system.
    There would definitely be a price to pay for striking out on their own economically.

It reminds me of the American Revolution. The reason the Boston Tea Party occurred was not because Tea prices went up, instead they actually dropped. The real issue was the corporate monopoly of tea by England by their tool corporate cronies known as the East Indies corporation.

So the colonists opted to actually pay more for tea so that they could be free.

They then had to give up any notion of England ever coming to their aid economically or militarily.

So yes, there is a big price to pay for your freedom.

As we saw with Scotland, the Scots preferred to live cushy lives under the banner of England. In fact, most probably do, at least for now.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 17:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    They then had to give up any notion of England ever coming to their aid economically or militarily.
    No, I don't think that that is correct. They could make the calculation that Britain would regard it as being in its interests to defend them against, for example, the Spanish. Losing a colony to its own independence is not the same as the colony being annexed by another Imperial power.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 17:46
    There would definitely be a price to pay for striking out on their own economically.

It reminds me of the American Revolution. The reason the Boston Tea Party occurred was not because Tea prices went up, instead they actually dropped. The real issue was the corporate monopoly of tea by England by their tool corporate cronies known as the East Indies cor ...[text shortened]... d to live cushy lives under the banner of England. In fact, most probably do, at least for now.
    The colonies had already been independent of England. They didn't need England for support of any kind.

Texas isn't independent in any way shape or form. Any prosperity the state has is a direct result of being part of the U.S., unlike with the colonies back then.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 17:49

It reminds me of the American Revolution. The reason the Boston Tea Party occurred was not because Tea prices went up, instead they actually dropped. The real issue was the corporate monopoly of tea by England by their tool corporate cronies known as the East Indies cor ...[text shortened]... d to live cushy lives under the banner of England. In fact, most probably do, at least for now.
    "The real issue was the corporate monopoly of tea by England by their tool corporate chronies known as the East Indies corporation."

the american revolution started because of tea. hilariously ignorant as ever.

"so yes, there is a big price to pay for your freedom."
    no more tea
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 21:03
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/from-brexit-to-texit-renewed-calls-for-texas-secession-after-eu-vote/ar-AAhBJsh?ocid=spartandhp

I'm sure we all have heard of those in Texas who wish to form their own country, knowing that their ambitions are a pipe dream. However, I view their ambitions for self rule about the same as I view Brexit.

In the end, all re ...[text shortened]... ill eventually bow their knee to the EU once more, or some other larger world body like the IMF.
    The Texas State government as a bulwark against global economic elites is one of the most unintentional funny things I have heard on this forum.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 21:24
    Originally posted by vivify
    The colonies had already been independent of England. They didn't need England for support of any kind.

Texas isn't independent in any way shape or form. Any prosperity the state has is a direct result of being part of the U.S., unlike with the colonies back then.
    A) Texas isn't independent in any way shape or form.
    B) Any prosperity the state has is a direct result of being part of the U.S.

A) Texas does have its own power grid. I was surprised to hear that we have three power grids in the US: East, West and Texas.

B) This I agree with, although 'prosperity' is only one characteristic of an independent nation, it is by no means 'required'. Just look around the world to see this is true.

My concern is that there are virtually no liberals in Texas, and therefore, any overwhelmingly conservative government is doomed to fail, unless the leaders are okay with paying for their 'success' with the freedom of its citizens. Their education system is pathetic and their infrastructure is crumbling and these are the hallmarks of a failed leadership.

I know about 'failed leadership', I live in Arizona. The citizens of this state just voted in May (by a narrow margin - dark money won) to let the state government sell off state land to the highest bidder to pay for what should be paid for in higher taxes. Conservative leadership here is okay with giving away the birthright of our next generation so that they don't have to raise taxes on the wealthy and corporations for a decade or so. This is failed leadership.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 21:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    [b]A) Texas isn't independent in any way shape or form.
    B) Any prosperity the state has is a direct result of being part of the U.S.

A) Texas does have its own power grid. I was surprised to hear that we have three power grids in the US: East, West and Texas.

B) This I agree with, although 'prosperity' is only one characteristic of an independe ...[text shortened]... e to raise taxes on the wealthy and corporations for a decade or so. This is failed leadership.[/b]
    If the People vote to sell off natural resources instead of raising taxes, the consequences are on them. Blaming it on "failed leadership" is a cop-out suggesting that the human race is largely composed of mindless sheep waiting to be told what to do (i.e. Loki was right in the Avengers).
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 21:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If the People vote to sell off natural resources instead of raising taxes, the consequences are on them. Blaming it on "failed leadership" is a cop-out suggesting that the human race is largely composed of mindless sheep waiting to be told what to do (i.e. Loki was right in the Avengers).
    'Mindless sheep'. So you've lived in Arizona and seen it for yourself, too? This is the state of Barry Goldwater. The mindset is still popular.

Dark money has made the people think Prop. 123 was a great idea, through massive dollars spent to advertise it as "the only way to provide dollars for education without raising taxes". Arizonans mostly think raising taxes should be avoided at all costs, including giving all their money to the corporations. Some kind of 'flat tax' system must be on the horizon. Our Governor and our Attorney General are the top two office holders in the state almost exclusively funded by dark money (from outside the state, I might add).
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 21:49
    'Mindless sheep'. So you've lived in Arizona and seen it for yourself, too? This is the state of Barry Goldwater. The mindset is still popular.

Dark money has made the people think Prop. 123 was a great idea, through massive dollars spent to advertise it as "the only way to provide dollars for education without raising taxes". Arizonans mostly think ...[text shortened]... ders in the state almost exclusively funded by dark money (from outside the state, I might add).
    "dark money" doesn't make people think anything.
  12. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 23:42

In the end, all re ...[text shortened]... ill eventually bow their knee to the EU once more, or some other larger world body like the IMF.
    The United States has a military power they can use. The EU wants one.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 01:43
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    "dark money" doesn't make people think anything.
    You can't get the 'mindless sheep' to think either, but you can sure get them to vote for you.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 02:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Jun '16 04:13

Dark money has made the people think Prop. 123 was a great idea, through massive dollars spent to advertise it as "the only way to provide dollars for education without raising taxes". Arizonans mostly think ...[text shortened]... ders in the state almost exclusively funded by dark money (from outside the state, I might add).
    What the **** is dark money? Is it made out of dark matter?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree