1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 19:391 edit
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/09/27/uk.segway.death/index.html

The owner of the Segway company has died, apparently in an accident involving one of his upright two-wheeled vehicles, police in England said Monday.

The body of James Heselden, 62, was pulled from the River Wharfe in northern England on Sunday, police said.

A Segway-type vehicle was recovered from the river, police said.

For debate, why did the segway never really take off as was initially hoped and speculated?

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=segway_more_complicated_than_it_needs_to_be
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 19:40
    it's kind of expensive for a small recreational vehicle. and may not be unstable but it does look unstable. and look what just happened with the company owner.

sometimes they're used by university police around here.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 22:07
    Originally posted by sh76

[quote]The owner of the Segway company has died, apparently in an accident involving one of his upright two-wheeled vehicles, police in England said Monday.

The body of James Heselden, 62, was pulled from the River Wharfe in northern England on Sunday, police said.

A Segway-type vehicle ...[text shortened]... ?

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=segway_more_complicated_than_it_needs_to_be
    where exactly is the irony here?

He fell off the thing the company he owns makes and died. Is that really ironic? or just coincidence?
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 01:50

[quote]The owner of the Segway company has died, apparently in an accident involving one of his upright two-wheeled vehicles, police in England said Monday.

I think it would qualify as ironic if he headed a company which was intent on destroying the Segway. Otherwise, as stated, it's merely coincidental.
  5. Garner, NC
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 03:18

Where do people "walk" that they would benefit from a Segway? The Appalachian Trail? Too rocky. From my desk to the bathroom? Too short. From my car to the office? Hardly worth the trouble of packing a Segway in my car. And what to do about the curb? The mall? Still have to pack in in my car.

Do I use it to cover more ground when I go on a walk for exercise? Well that question answers itself.

Although they'd be fun to try, I can't think of a good use even if I were given one for free.

Even if they could be checked out at the mall by customers, who wants to worry about parking it before going into a store?
    I guess a mall cop would be the best candidate to use one.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 12:58
    Originally posted by techsouth
    Where do people "walk" that they would benefit from a Segway? The Appalachian Trail? Too rocky. From my desk to the bathroom? Too short. From my car to the office? Hardly worth the trouble of packing a Segway in my car. And what to do about the curb? The mall? Still have to pack in in my car.

Do I use it to cover more ground when I go on a walk ...[text shortened]... ng it before going into a store?
    I guess a mall cop would be the best candidate to use one.
    I guess the original idea was that they'd market it to urbanites for whom owning cars is inconvenient. I guess it would be a fairly efficient replacement for the bicycle, as a means of transport over medium distances.

I hear that they use them in large warehouses. That would seemingly also be a decent fit.
  7. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 19:39
    I guess the original idea was that they'd market it to urbanites for whom owning cars is inconvenient. I guess it would be a fairly efficient replacement for the bicycle, as a means of transport over medium distances.

I hear that they use them in large warehouses. That would seemingly also be a decent fit.
    Once again, we have pointy-haired government regulators to thank for the lack of adoption of the Segway.

I would have bought one myself at one point, but you can only use them on sidewalks in many places -- and then local jurisdictions often state they can't be used there either.

Ah, government! Such a wise and clever group of individuals providing untold benefits and bounty to all of the rest of us! We must raise our taxes in order to provide more jobs for government bureaucrats who can restrict our freedoms in new and interesting ways for our own good! Ah!
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 00:06
    Originally posted by uzless
    where exactly is the irony here?

He fell off the thing the company he owns makes and died. Is that really ironic? or just coincidence?
    It's about as ironic as Otto Lilienthal dying in a glider accident.
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 16:141 edit
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Once again, we have pointy-haired government regulators to thank for the lack of adoption of the Segway.
    thats what you want lots of vehicles with speed differentials to cars about half of what the cars are doing turning you favorite road into a scene from new delhi.

BUT to segue quickly along they should have stocked the entrance ways to big walmart shopping centre's with hire a segway. no need to lug the thing around with you and whenever you've had enough just park it in the closest available segway stand and off you go!
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 16:15
    Originally posted by spruce112358

I would have bought one myself at one point, but you can only use them on sidewalks in many places -- and then local jurisdictions often state they can't be used there either.

Ah, government! Such a wise and clever group of individuals providin ...[text shortened]... ent bureaucrats who can restrict our freedoms in new and interesting ways for our own good! Ah!
    how many jurisdictions were you planning on riding it in?
  11. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 16:33
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    how many jurisdictions were you planning on riding it in?
    maybe they should have built segway parks, much like skateboard parks.

Its win win now in obama care america. if they stumble or overide a dip and break something on the way down to kissing concrete, at their hospital bills and medical treatment will be affordable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree