Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 05:35
    Originally posted by JS357
    It depends on which horses are being traded.
    It's been passed in the past but never got a hearing in the Senate. It doesn't meet the requirements of a bill that could be passed under the reconciliation process and I cannot see 8 Democrats voting for cloture.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 05:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's been passed in the past but never got a hearing in the Senate. It doesn't meet the requirements of a bill that could be passed under the reconciliation process and I cannot see 8 Democrats voting for cloture.
    Perhaps nothing has happened that you did bot foresee.
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 05:48
    Originally posted by JS357
    Perhaps nothing has happened that you did bot foresee.
    Ignoring the snark, Congress is one of the more predictable things in the US.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:15
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    "...our beloved country."
    Well, you jacked it up nearly beyond recognition.
    Move aside, move out, move forward, move where ever, and let people who love the principles undergirding freedom try to clean up your mess.
    This is a joke, right?

You should tell us it's a joke, because it's not very funny.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:201 edit
    It seems quite unlikely to get past a Democratic filibuster in the Senate.

And I wonder if Trump wouldn't veto it if it did; as much as Congressional Republicans might love it, the bill is a significant pare back of Executive power.
    Congress is also busy decreasing the possibility of a Democrat filibuster by rewriting rules so that the laws they want to pass only need a simple majority rather than 60 needed to win, since the Republicans number 52. Ditto similar language inside those laws stating that this bill is immune to filibuster. Read the bills closely. Almost every bill put forth by Ryan and company this year includes this language. They are moving to be able to pass laws without any Democrats voting for it and to stop filibusters before they start.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:221 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Agencies enacting regulations is unconstitutional. The Constitution does not give Congress the right to delegate its responsibily to create laws and regs.

I am hoping for change. Looks like we might get it.
    Be careful what you wish for. You might wake up one day to a chemical plant next door to you, with zero protection from toxic waste.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Congress is also busy decreasing the possibility of a Democrat filibuster by rewriting rules so that the laws they want to pass only need a simple majority rather than 60 needed to win, since the Republicans number 52. Ditto similar language inside those laws stating that this bill is immune to filibuster. Read the bills closely. Almost every bill put fo ...[text shortened]... able to pass laws without any Democrats voting for it and to stop filibusters before they start.
    I don't see how that can work, once in effect a bill is an act and filibuster is irrelevant, before it is in effect it can declare itself to be immune to filibuster but not with any legal force.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:26
    Congress doing its job, now that would be change!
    Congress is elected to represent the People, not corporations and lobbyists.

Unfortunately, even People like you, who don't know what they are talking about.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:31
    As for the great depression, is suzy saying that it was localized to the US?

Or is Suzy saying that Republican policy is what caused the great depression in countries like Germany and Canada?
    It was a domino effect, clearly.

But yes, it was unrestricted, incredibly bad policy-making by Hoover's administration, given a green light by a Republican-controlled Congress, removing regulations, mainly in the banking industry, that caused the Depression a mere 7 months after they took office in 1929.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:39
    As I said before, new rules are being written now so that some bills only require a simple majority, or 51 votes, rather than 60. Since the Republicans control 52 seats, this gives them completely free REIN.

"Thank you, sir! May I have another?!", indeed.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:52
    Be careful what you wish for. You might wake up one day to a chemical planet next door to you, with zero protection from toxic waste.
    You live in fear of freedom.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:52
    Let's take a look at the REINS Act, passed by the House last week, right under our collective noses.
    I'm sorry, the REINS Act is a Senate bill, not a House bill.

How this escaped my attention is beyond me.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:56
    You live in fear of freedom.
    No. I live in fear of the Congress of the US, in their unrelenting greed for money and power, completely and absolutely abrogating the Will of the People of the US.

That you conflate this with some imagined "fear of freedom" is inexcusably laughable. What I fear is not freedom, but the complete and utter lack of it.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 12:05
    No. I live in fear of the Congress of the US, in their unrelenting greed for money and power, completely and absolutely abrogating the Will of the People of the US.

That you conflate this with some imagined "fear of freedom" is inexcusably laughable. What I fear is not freedom, but the complete and utter lack of it.
    So Congress is going to poison the environment? Thought a private company made up of private citizens was going to do it.
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 13:26
    Congress is also busy decreasing the possibility of a Democrat filibuster by rewriting rules so that the laws they want to pass only need a simple majority rather than 60 needed to win, since the Republicans number 52. Ditto similar language inside those laws stating that this bill is immune to filibuster. Read the bills closely. Almost every bill put fo ...[text shortened]... able to pass laws without any Democrats voting for it and to stop filibusters before they start.
    I really don't know what you are talking about; Ryan is House Speaker and no bill language he endorses is binding on the Senate as far as its procedures go. The articles I find are pretty clear that the REINS Act will need Democratic support in the Senate:

While the Senate's powerful Democratic minority is the major roadblock for the bill — the REINS Act would require 60 votes to pass the chamber, and while Republicans have a 52-seat majority, Democrats effectively have 48 votes

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/01/06/house-passes-reins-act-to-curb-job-crushing-regulations/