30 Nov '11 17:51
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Well YOU'RE no fun at parties.
    I'm no fun outside of parties.
  2. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 18:19
    There is way too much money in the federal eradication efforts. No way will those entrenched interests let the federal government legalize any time soon.

And unfortunately, with Barney Frank retiring, his bill to prohibit enforcement of federal marijuana laws where individuals are following their own state laws will probably die in committee. The conservative's love for state's rights only goes so far.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 18:23
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    There is way too much money in the federal eradication efforts. No way will those entrenched interests let the federal government legalize any time soon.

And unfortunately, with Barney Frank retiring, his bill to prohibit enforcement of federal marijuana laws where individuals are following their own state laws will probably die in committee. The conservative's love for state's rights only goes so far.
    Howard Roark would not approve of these government beaurocrat moochers!
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 19:44
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Howard Roark would not approve of these government beaurocrat moochers!
    It is big government with all the worst elements from a conservative point of view (pork, states rights violations, civil liberties violations, property rights compromises, higher taxes, little accountability, broad interpretation of the commerce clause, economic intervention, etc.). But the Republicans are dead silent at best.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 23:39

We agree (mostly) on this one.

I can see why importation should be a federal issue; but day to day possession and distribution of narcotics should not be a federal issue. The states should deal with it. If Oregon wants to legalize cocaine and meth, the feds should not get involved.
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 02:07
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Its apples and oranges as you say because the tobacco is not what causes the cancer.
    It is the carcinogens in cigarettes that cause cancer . These are not present in pot.
    No, but of the 420 substances within pot, over a hundred of them are proven carcinogens. At least that's what our Sheriff says.
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 02:08
    Originally posted by sh76

I can see why importation should be a federal issue; but day to day possession and distribution of narcotics should not be a federal issue. The states should deal with it. If Oregon wants to legalize cocaine and meth, the feds should not get involved.
    Scalia had his opportunity, but he voted with the liberals to hold that ganja is governed by the commerce clause. Can you say "result oriented?"
  8. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 02:182 edits
    No, but of the 420 substances within pot, over a hundred of them are proven carcinogens. At least that's what our Sheriff says.
    420 ? "four-twenty"? No irony there. 😉

I found a good link on this. in part it states,

a recent review of studies on the effects of marijuana and tobacco smoke suggests that the cancer-promoting effects of these ingredients is increased by the tobacco in nicotine and reduced by the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) found in cannabis.

Previous studies have shown that THC can inhibit carcinogens in mice, and the report suggests it may have the same protective effect against the carcinogens found in smoke in humans. But researchers warn that even if THC lessens the effects of these cancer-causing ingredients, cannabis smoke remains carcinogenic...............

Research shows that nicotine and THC act on related pathways in the body, but they bind to different receptors to activate these pathways. For example, Melamede says the cells of the lungs are lined with nicotine receptors but do not appear to contain receptors for THC.

He says that may explain why marijuana use has not been linked to lung cancer as cigarette smoking has.

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20051017/pot-smoke-less-carcinogenic-than-tobacco
  9. Germany
    Moves
    06 Dec '11 15:20
    Originally posted by sh76

The problem is that it's very easy to smuggle drugs between states. So if you legalize it in one, it becomes much easier to obtain in the others (especially the neighbouring states).
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 00:43
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    420 ? "four-twenty"? No irony there. 😉

I found a good link on this. in part it states,

a recent review of studies on the effects of marijuana and tobacco smoke suggests that the cancer-promoting effects of these ingredients is increased by the tobacco in nicotine and reduced by the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) found in cannabis.

Previou ...[text shortened]...

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20051017/pot-smoke-less-carcinogenic-than-tobacco
    Nitric oxides cause tobacco to be more cancer causing. I first learned about this on Frontline (PBS) when they examined smokeless cigarettes years ago.

http://www.trdrp.org/fundedresearch/grant_page.php?grant_id=532
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 00:47
    I recently watched "The Union". It is a good film for debunking a lot of the myths about cannabis.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-union-the-business-behind-getting-high/
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 01:283 edits
    A stoner walks into an appliance store and asks the owner, "How much for that TV set in the window?" The owner looks at the TV set, then looks at the stoner, and says, "I don't sell stuff to potheads." So the stoner tells the owner he will quit toking and will come back the next week to buy a TV. A week later, the stoner comes back and says, "I quit smoking pot. Now how much for that TV set in the window?" And the owner said, "I told you, I don't sell to potheads!" So the stoner leaves again. Undaunted, the stoner comes back a week later and says, "How much for that TV?" The owner loudly retorts, "I'm not going to tell you again, I DON'T SELL TO POTHEADS!!" The stoner looks back at the owner and says, HOw can you tell I'm a pothead?" The owner looks back and says, "Because that is a microwave!!!

😵
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 01:31
    Confucious say, man who stand on toilet high on pot, but man who smoke pot choke on handle.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 01:32
    The pot paradox: An empty bowl needs to be filled, a full bowl needs to be emptied!
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '11 01:341 edit
    Now be honest, how many of you pot heads have studied for days just to pass your drug test so that someone would hire you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree