Gay male brain is similar to a woman's

Gay male brain is similar to a woman's

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
21 Jun 13
4 edits

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/jun/16/neuroscience.psychology

Striking similarities between the brains of gay men and straight women have been discovered by neuroscientists, offering fresh evidence that sexual orientation is hardwired into our neural circuitry.

Scans reveal homosexual men and heterosexual women have symmetrical brains, with the right and left hemispheres almost exactly the same size. Conversely, lesbians and straight men have asymmetrical brains, with the right hemisphere significantly larger than the left.

Scientists at the prestigious Stockholm Brain Institute in Sweden also found certain brain circuits linked to emotional responses were the same in gay men and straight women.

Keeping the above information about brains in mind, consider this article that says that lesbians earn more money than heterosexual women:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/lesbians-earn-heterosexual-women-study-shows/story?id=12517076

"Lesbians who never married earned significantly more than previously married lesbians and heterosexual women, Census data suggests."

So...does this mean that men earn more money than women, not because of sexism, but because males are just better at it?

rain

Moves
21 Jun 13
3 edits

the second link also has a video

T

Moves
21 Jun 13

Originally posted by vivify

[quote]Striking similarities between the brains of gay men and straight women have been discovered by neuroscientists, offering fresh evidence that sexual orientation is hardwired into our neural circuitry.

Scans reveal homosexual men and heterosexual women have symmetrical brains, wi ...[text shortened]... en earn more money than women, not because of sexism, but because males are just better at it?
So does this suggest that gay men ought to earn less money than straight men and lesbians? And is this in fact the case?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
21 Jun 13

[quote]Striking similarities between the brains of gay men and straight women have been discovered by neuroscientists, offering fresh evidence that sexual orientation is hardwired into our neural circuitry.

Scans reveal homosexual men and heterosexual women have symmetrical brains, wi ...[text shortened]... en earn more money than women, not because of sexism, but because males are just better at it?
This would suggest that sexual habits are less a matter of choice, and more of a matter of birthright. Interesting

w

Moves
21 Jun 13
1 edit

Scans reveal homosexual men and heterosexual women have symmetrical brains, wi en earn more money than women, not because of sexism, but because males are just better at it?
No, it means that gays earn more money than heterosexuals on average.

The reason is pretty simple, on average they don't have families to raise, thus they are more career oriented. I have found that gays tend to be more materialistic on average as well. Just a personal observation.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
21 Jun 13

"Lesbians who never married earned significantly more than previously married lesbians and heterosexual women, Census data suggests."
Isn't it common sense that those who focus more on career and less on family would tend to earn more than those who focus more on family?

w

Moves
21 Jun 13

Originally posted by sh76
Isn't it common sense that those who focus more on career and less on family would tend to earn more than those who focus more on family?
But this would make them to be capitalistic materialistic 1%'ers.

Nonsense!! There must be a gene or crazy arse cell loose in that brain of theirs for this to happen.

jb

Moves
21 Jun 13

This is what I have been saying all along. Gay folks are wired differently. A gay person should not be judged morally by those that can not walk a mile in their shoes for their choices in gender of their mates. Along with this being wired differently comes the control freak nature that type A personality women have. Their constant throwing it in the face of others just because they can, should be discouraged. I have no argument with their findings. As far as the lesbians earning more money because they are wired like a man but once again the type A personality. They put themselves in positions of control and the supervisors usually make more money. If you think German women are bossy, get around lesbians. They will tell you where the bear chits in the woods in a heart beat.

rain

Moves
21 Jun 13
1 edit

from the link:

"The findings, based on the 2000 Census, concluded that never-married lesbians earned roughly 7.5 percent more than never-married singles".

So family has nothing to do with it.

w

Moves
21 Jun 13

from the link:

"The findings, based on the 2000 Census, concluded that never-married lesbians earned roughly 7.5 percent more than never-married singles".

So family has nothing to do with it.
There can only be but one conclusion, heterosexuals are discriminated against.

Would you favor heterosexual affirmative action?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
21 Jun 13

I suppose that's true, but I found the data on brain types pretty interesting. It would also seem to throw a monkey wrench into the teachings of these self - help guru types, who claim they can transform us into super achievers by following their pre packaged plan. I think we can change and improve ourselves up to a point, but that much of our behavior (sexual and otherwise) is simply hard wired, and no amount of counseling is going to change it.

E

Moves
21 Jun 13

Originally posted by bill718
This would suggest that sexual habits are less a matter of choice, and more of a matter of birthright. Interesting
So you are saying having sex or not isn't a choice?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
21 Jun 13

Originally posted by Eladar
So you are saying having sex or not isn't a choice?
No, I'm saying that ones gender choice of sexual partners is often cast at birth, I was not referring the frequency of one's sexual activities.

E

Moves
21 Jun 13

Originally posted by bill718
No, I'm saying that ones gender choice of sexual partners is often cast at birth, I was not referring the frequency of one's sexual activities.
So you are saying that different people are born having different likes and dislikes? You are saying that some people are basically hard wired to act in certain ways? Some people might be hard wired to be addicts while others aren't? Some people might be hard wired to be violent, while others are not?

I'd say that this is pretty obvious. We all have our issues and we usually have different issues than others. As to whether or not our issues are moral or immoral have nothing to do with our hard wiring. As to whether something is right or wrong has nothing to do with our predisposition.

Just saying.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
21 Jun 13

Originally posted by Eladar
So you are saying that different people are born having different likes and dislikes? You are saying that some people are basically hard wired to act in certain ways? Some people might be hard wired to be addicts while others aren't? Some people might be hard wired to be violent, while others are not?

I'd say that this is pretty obvious. We all have ou ...[text shortened]... ether something is right or wrong has nothing to do with our predisposition.

Just saying.
I think you're getting pretty far afield here. If you read carefully what's in the links, it would suggest that sexuality is may not be a matter of choice. I can't comment much on other behavior, since the links didn't either. (just saying)