1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 13:41
    A 2 year old boy was mauled and killed by a German Shepherd but was called an accident.

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-baby-killed-by-german-sheppard,0,3931389.story

If a pit bull had done the same thing would anybody call it an accident?
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 13:45
    The dog was a German Shepherd mix.
    That doesn't matter much though. Any pit bull mix is called a pit bull if it attacks anyone.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 13:50
    Umm, don't they in general advise not to have a German Shepherd if you have small children? I recall people at an animal shelter saying this.
  4. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:02
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Umm, don't they in general advise not to have a German Shepherd if you have small children? I recall people at an animal shelter saying this.
    From my own experience the German Shepherd is a great family dog.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:07
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    From my own experience the German Shepherd is a great family dog.
    I don't have anything against German Shepherds at all. I am just pointing out breed bias.

Here is a report of another dog attack.

http://wn.com/Alsations_German_Shepherds_kill_21_yr_old_man

Funny how these don't make the headlines like pit bull attacks.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:13
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I don't have anything against German Shepherds at all. I am just pointing out breed bias.

I recall in the 70's the German Shepard was demonized. It still lingers a little today as shown in KN's post.
    The 90's and 2000's its pit bulls.
    I agree with you, it is a irrational bias against certain breeds. The Akita is another breed that has gotten a bad rap.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:22

I'm not commenting on a perceived media bias, but the stats for dog bites and killing of humans shows that pit bulls are the predominate breed -

http://www.dogsbite.org/newsroom-release-dog-bite-fatality-study-042209.htm

The report shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 fatalities. Pit bulls accounted for 59% of these deaths, the second leading breed, rottweilers, accounted for 14%.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:58
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I'm not commenting on a perceived media bias, but the stats for dog bites and killing of humans shows that pit bulls are the predominate breed -

http://www.dogsbite.org/newsroom-release-dog-bite-fatality-study-042209.htm

The report shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 fatalities. Pit bulls accounted for 59% of these deaths, the second leading breed, rottweilers, accounted for 14%.
    That is because the dog breeds that do the most damage can lead to fatalities. Nobody will dispute the strength of the pit bull. I do dispute the frequency of biting though. Pit bulls do not bite very often compared to other breeds.

Here is an except from the link below:

The dog groomers I spoke to said most of the bites they see are from Schnauzers, Cocker Spaniels, Westies, Scotties, and Dachshunds. (see related link on Three Most Aggressive Breeds below)

Next I polled a number of veterinarians. One veterinarian said "Give me a so-called vicious Pit Bull over a Cocker Spaniel, Dachshund, or even a Lab any day!! These are the breeds I have the most problem with." Another vet concurred saying that she never once encountered a vicious Pit bull yet had problems all the time with Cocker Spaniels and Yorkshire Terriers.

http://www.thedogplace.org/Family-Dog/Dog-Bite-Stats-Dokken.htm
  9. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 15:17
    That is because the dog breeds that do the most damage can lead to fatalities. Nobody will dispute the strength of the pit bull. I do dispute the frequency of biting though. Pit bulls do not bite very often compared to other breeds.

Here is an except from the link below:

The dog groomers I spoke to said most of the bites they see are from Schnauzer ...[text shortened]... els and Yorkshire Terriers.

http://www.thedogplace.org/Family-Dog/Dog-Bite-Stats-Dokken.htm
    Now, can you find out how many people dachshund's have killed in the past year? How about Yorkshire terriers? Pit bulls are okay if the owner knows what they are doing, the problem is most dog owners don't have a clue. When pit bulls are out of control, people tend to get hurt very badly.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 15:26
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Now, can you find out how many people dachshund's have killed in the past year? How about Yorkshire terriers? Pit bulls are okay if the owner knows what they are doing, the problem is most dog owners don't have a clue. When pit bulls are out of control, people tend to get hurt very badly.
    Any breed can get out of control. Lots of breeds are strong enough to kill people, German Shepherds for example. That is why the military uses them.

Lets not let the irresponsible owner of dogs off the hook. I could argue they are a bigger problem than the dogs themselves.
  11. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 15:29
    Any breed can get out of control. Lots of breeds are strong enough to kill people, German Shepherds for example. That is why the military uses them.

Lets not let the irresponsible owner of dogs off the hook. I could argue they are a bigger problem than the dogs themselves.
    Indeed. Its all the way they are raised and treated by the owner.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 18:492 edits
    Good choice of incident. Good point.

I notice that the dog did not grow up with the family. I also notice it's not dead. I wonder if those are significant factors in this case?

German Shepherds have a stronger bite than Pits do, if anyone's interested. You actually don't need massive jaw muscles to fight dogs and humans. You need them for fighting moose and maybe wolves.

In the second incident the man died because he fell down and hit his head, not because of dog bite injuries.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 18:525 edits

The point isn't that the animals CAN kill people. The point is that the Pit has been specifically bred to both be physically capable of and to be temperamentally inclined to want to bite dog sized mammals without warning. Mastiffs (ancient Roman war dogs) were bred to be very gentle; even in war, they tackled enemies, not bit them to death. Terrier blood (enthusiastic vermin killers) was mixed in to make the dog more ferocious.

I mean, look at the names - the one is a sheepherding dog from Germany, the other is a blood sport dog.

The Akita is a hunting dog that tracks and intimidates dangerous prey until the hunter arrives.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 18:563 edits
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I recall in the 70's the German Shepard was demonized. It still lingers a little today as shown in KN's post.
    The 90's and 2000's its pit bulls.
    I agree with you, it is a irrational bias against certain breeds. The Akita is another breed that has gotten a bad rap.
    Rotties (sheep herding/guarding dogs like the German Shepherd) and Doberman Terriers (personal bodyguards for defense against gangsters) too.

I'd be wary of the Dobermans as well as the Pits. The others are probably uninclined to hurt people.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree