1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 04:452 edits
    https://steemit.com/news/@wakeupnd/conservatives-want-to-raise-the-debt-limit-another-9-trillion-dollars

Now I know what Progs are up to appointing Trump to the Oval Office. They want to double the debt under him like they did with Obama, with the GOP stamp of approval.

Here is the best line of the article.

Ask yourself what did we get for that 10 trillion dollars? Would we have been better off just giving every man, woman and child in America 30,000 dollars?

Next up on the agenda, failing to secure the border as promised.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 05:19
    The media pretends to hate Trump, but I don't think they do. Trump is all they have ever wanted to talk about as he was front and center at each debate.

Now compare that to Ron Paul who was always off to the side in each debate and ignored by the media.

YouTube

Anyone who wishes to do something about the massive debt becomes a target.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 06:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    The media pretends to hate Trump, but I don't think they do. Trump is all they have ever wanted to talk about as he was front and center at each debate.

Now compare that to Ron Paul who was always off to the side in each debate and ignored by the media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ezPaMJH4Q

How many times does it have to be explained to you that the positions at the debate are decided by the candidate's standing in a pre-selected group of polls?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 09:04
    But Trump was going to solve the debt problem by getting Mexico to pay for it.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 13:42
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    How many times does it have to be explained to you that the positions at the debate are decided by the candidate's standing in a pre-selected group of polls?
    Elections are decided by whoever gets all the press attention, good or bad.

Now go back to your ivory tower utopia. Sorry to interrupt.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 20:44
    It's like I always said, Americans don't want to have to pay for all the "free" stuff, so my guess is that they will repeal Obamacare and double the debt in the next 4 years.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 15:20
    More than ever conservatives should support the Article V movement to try and force the federal government to stop the insane spending.

Trump is no answer.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 02:24
    Mark it down, all that will happen is that the GOP will remove the mandate and let debt pile up even faster. They will do nothing to fix the massive entitlement mess of such things as Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid. Then the Dims will sit back and point to all the massive debt accrued under Trump.
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 02:561 edit
    They will do nothing to fix the massive entitlement mess of such things as Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid.

How in God's name did Social Security become a "entitlement??!!" I've paid into this program for over 45 years, most of it via full time employment, now it sounds like I'm just another lazy welfare scab for collecting it! I suppose my 401K is an entitlement as well, right??!! 😠
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 03:35
    Originally posted by mchill
    They will do nothing to fix the massive entitlement mess of such things as Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid.

How in God's name did Social Security become a "entitlement??!!" I've paid into this program for over 45 years, most of it via full time employment, now it sounds like I'm just another lazy welfare scab for collecting it! I suppose my 401K is an entitlement as well, right??!! 😠
    It is an entitlement because you did not pay into it, you just paid the tax. You paid a tax just like any other tax.

Congress can changr the rules at anytime. As more people live longer they need to adjust it. You should collect it based on average life expectancy as it was originally rolled out.

In short it is a ponzi scheme to raise taxes which is coming back and biting the government in the buttocks.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 11:27
    Mark it down, all that will happen is that the GOP will remove the mandate and let debt pile up even faster. They will do nothing to fix the massive entitlement mess of such things as Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid. Then the Dims will sit back and point to all the massive debt accrued under Trump.
    I certainly hope they follow your advice and couple a nice big tax cut with massive reductions in spending for Social Security and healthcare.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 11:331 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It is an entitlement because you did not pay into it, you just paid the tax. You paid a tax just like any other tax.

Congress can changr the rules at anytime. As more people live longer they need to adjust it. You should collect it based on average life expectancy as it was originally rolled out.

In short it is a ponzi scheme to raise taxes which is coming back and biting the government in the buttocks.
    The purpose of Social Security was to reduce poverty among the elderly. It has been extremely successful in doing so. The tax you pay to Social Security goes to that program as explained many times here as has the reasons why it is certainly not a "ponzi scheme" (it's not an investment plan nor is it fraudulent).

But by all means, right wingers, propose all kind of changes to the program which will reduce its modest benefits (the average recipient receives about $1300 a month https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/factsheets/basicfact-alt.pdf). But supposedly a country with the immense riches we have is "going broke" by paying the retired a bit more than the poverty line.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 12:271 edit
    Originally posted by mchill

Over the course of my career, the amount I put I to "my" SS account and my 401(k) account is within a few thousand of each other.
    It's the equivalent of $4/day for the former and $7/day for the latter.

It took nearly four decades to accumulate that amount in the SS account, while it took about twenty years for the 401(k) to accumulate the same amount.
    Today, that SS account has exactly what I put into it, no more and no less.
    The 401(k) is worth over ten times the amount--- and growing.

Were we allowed to invest our own money instead of having it borrowed against without our consent, imagine how much better people would be living.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 12:281 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Over the course of my career, the amount I put I to "my" SS account and my 401(k) account is with a few thousand of each other.
    It's the equivalent of $4/day for the former and $7/day for the latter.

It took nearly four decades to accumulate that amount in the SS account, while it took about twenty years for the 401(k) to accumulate the same amount.
    ...[text shortened]... having it borrowed against without our consent, imagine how much better people would be living.
    How'd that work out before Social Security was passed?

Let's avoid that being a rhetorical question:

Elderly poverty in the U.S. decreased dramatically during the twentieth century. Between 1960 and 1995, the official poverty rate of those aged 65 and above fell from 35 percent to 10 percent, and research has documented similarly steep declines dating back to at least 1939. While poverty was once far more prevalent among the elderly than among other age groups, today's elderly have a poverty rate similar to that of working-age adults and much lower than that of children.

Social Security is often mentioned as a likely contributor to the decline in elderly poverty. Enacted in 1935, the Social Security system experienced rapid benefit growth in the post-WWII era. In fact, there is a striking association between the rise in Social Security expenditures per capita and the decline in elderly poverty, as Figure 1 illustrates (with both series scaled to fit on the same figure).

http://www.nber.org/bah/summer04/w10466.html
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 12:35
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    How'd that work out before Social Security was passed?

Let's avoid that being a rhetorical question:

Elderly poverty in the U.S. decreased dramatically during the twentieth century. Between 1960 and 1995, the official poverty rate of those aged 65 and above fell from 35 percent to 10 percent, and research has documented similarly steep declines dat ...[text shortened]... h both series scaled to fit on the same figure).

http://www.nber.org/bah/summer04/w10466.html
    What does your comments have to do with mine, or am I just really tired?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree