1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 01:25
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Why have any Federal government at all?

Your constant "anarchist" harping is tiresome.
    Why have State governments at all?

You have a peculiar definition of anarchist.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 01:411 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Why have State governments at all?

You have a peculiar definition of anarchist.
    The State governments cannot possibly effectively deal with national transportation issues which affect commerce, defense and several of the other enumerated powers. The Feds started building roads very early in the country's history and the nation would be infinitely poorer and more backward if they didn't.

This is your perverse version of anarchy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 17:521 edit
    So how would you raise money to repair the country's roads, bridges, etc.?

Please be specific.
    That's like asking me how to help you afford buying a car.

I would need to see the entire budget and assess the situation. More than likely you will need to give up things you may like but don't need in order to afford another.

In the case of the government that is never the case. All they do is print money or raise taxes. I'm just tired of it is all. $18 trillion dollars later you would think the gig was up, but apparently it has only just begun.

Here is an idea, begin reducing each department's spending by 1 or 2% across the board within the federal government. That way no one depratment is targeted and it would have little effect on their operation. Then use that money.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 18:59
    Originally posted by whodey
    That's like asking me how to help you afford buying a car.

I would need to see the entire budget and assess the situation. More than likely you will need to give up things you may like but don't need in order to afford another.

In the case of the government that is never the case. All they do is print money or raise taxes. I'm just tired of it is all ...[text shortened]... depratment is targeted and it would have little effect on their operation. Then use that money.
    Yeah, just reduce the prices of all of the government's suppliers by 1 to 2%. Great idea, whodey.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 19:27
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yeah, just reduce the prices of all of the government's suppliers by 1 to 2%. Great idea, whodey.
    Yes, have government make some cuts like everyone else in the country has been forced to do.

Now you're getting it! 😵
  6. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 21:101 edit
    Obamacare Architect Gruber Wants Body Weight Tax

Posted by Michael Strickland on Thursday, February 5th, 2015 at 7:42 am

IRS Seeks 9,000 New Employees as It Prepares to Enforce Obamacare

Melissa Quinn / @MelissaQuinn97 / February 05, 2015 / 95 comments
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 21:50
    Originally posted by normbenign
    [b]The trouble is, that once gas taxes are raised, they will never be unraised.
    The problem is that there is no higher authority than government. That's what makes me cringe every time power is given to government. Once they obtain power, there is no over sight. There is no regulating government. Whatever power they grasp will not be released until you are able to pry their dead clinching fists from it, but only until the said government goes belly up and another takes over.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 22:19
    Abolish the Federal government and be done with it.

The biggest failing of Obama's original stimulus program was that he routed projects through the State bureaucracies. Why repeat that mistake but on a much grander scale?
    I am certain that somewhere there is a breakdown of the percentages of gas taxes collected at the State level are returned to the States where all the road building and maintenance takes place. Sending the money to DC, carves a pretty significant amount out, and lets Congress get involved in dishing it out to those it favors.

Tell me a single drawback to collecting the tax as close as possible to where the work is to be done?
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 22:30
    The State governments cannot possibly effectively deal with national transportation issues which affect commerce, defense and several of the other enumerated powers. The Feds started building roads very early in the country's history and the nation would be infinitely poorer and more backward if they didn't.

This is your perverse version of anarchy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism
    Please, for the last three perhaps four decades the majority of road work is done by State entities. That includes modifying and repairing existing interstate highways. The system is mature, and has been for a long time.

The system of collecting Federal gas taxes has allowed political influence peddling as to who gets big dollars (such as the Big Dig in Boston or the roads and bridges in W. Virginia named after their favorite son).

It has also been used as a lever to force States to enact legislation that they otherwise would not have, based on the threat of the loss of federal funds.

All highway construction is contracted at the State level or lower. There is no good reason I can see to collect the money, send it to DC, and then send it back. Enlighten me?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree