1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Dec '18 13:53
    @kazetnagorra said
    What I find surprising about this whole shutdown-every-other-minute business is that apparently no one seems to think that it would be a good idea to, I don't know, not have them anymore? I'm pretty sure the last one they had here was in 1945. Even in freaking Belgium when they had a caretaker government for a year they had no "government shutdown" or anything like it.
    Yeah, but we all know that a shutdown isn't really a shutdown, right?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '18 14:423 edits
    @nomorechess said
    @whodey

LoL we're all gonna die... cracked me up. 😂
    Yes, but it's true unless Congress can get off their arse and find us immortality.

Save us Nancy Pelosi!

Problem is, Orange man wants us all to die.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    26 Dec '18 14:49
    @sh76 said
    Not every aspect of the government is entirely shut down? Well, that makes it alright I suppose.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    26 Dec '18 14:54
    @sonhouse said
    Well the HRE may have gone down in 1453 but Rome lost it around 440 AD or so, which left a huge vacuum in Europe and England. it took them a thousand years to get over THAT hangover.
    The Holy Roman Empire was abolished due to Napoleon's conquests in 1806. The Roman Empire collapsed in 1453, although it lost control of the actual city of Rome many centuries before that. The Romans did reconquer Rome in the sixth century AD under Justinian I.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '18 15:04
    @kazetnagorra said
    The Holy Roman Empire was abolished due to Napoleon's conquests in 1806. The Roman Empire collapsed in 1453, although it lost control of the actual city of Rome many centuries before that. The Romans did reconquer Rome in the sixth century AD under Justinian I.
    Are you Ok?

Just checking if everyone is OK, this being the first day of the government shut down and all.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Dec '18 16:19
    @kazetnagorra said
    Not every aspect of the government is entirely shut down? Well, that makes it alright I suppose.
    Like, a small fraction of of one tier of a multi-tiered government is shut down.

Unless you're a federal employee, you might not notice a government shutdown.

I've never noticed a government shutdown other than hearing about it on the news in my life.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Dec '18 16:39
    @sh76 said
    Except, in the USA, it is so to a much higher degree than elsewhere. In Belgium, civil servants kept being paid, services were not whittled down to a minimum. National parks stayed open, border police was paid, the main thing that did not happen was the introduction of new policies. It wasn'r so much a shut-down as a slow-down. Irritating, bur no lower civil servants went unpaid over Christmas. The main people to suffer were the politicians themselves. In the USA, it's exactly the other way 'round.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Dec '18 18:36
    @kazetnagorra said
    All well and good but the former Roman controlled territory was abandoned like Britain, and parts of Europe which directly led to the dark ages.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '18 18:45
    Hold it together people!

I've declared a state of emergency since there is no one to do it for us now.

Save us Bernie!
  10. Germany
    Moves
    26 Dec '18 18:56
    @sh76 said
    Like, a small fraction of of one tier of a multi-tiered government is shut down.

Unless you're a federal employee, you might not notice a government shutdown.

I've never noticed a government shutdown other than hearing about it on the news in my life.
    Ah, you are not immediately personally affected, so then who cares, right?

Is this why you are so apathetic and unapologetic about children being locked up in cages in concentration camps in your country?
  11. Germany
    Moves
    26 Dec '18 18:59
    @sonhouse said
    All well and good but the former Roman controlled territory was abandoned like Britain, and parts of Europe which directly led to the dark ages.
    It also directly led to the rise of a wonderful people, the English! Imagine having to have these discussions in (vulgar) Latin...
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Dec '18 21:54
    @shallow-blue said
    Except, in the USA, it is so to a much higher degree than elsewhere. In Belgium, civil servants kept being paid, services were not whittled down to a minimum. National parks stayed open, border police was paid, the main thing that did not happen was the introduction of new policies. It wasn'r so much a shut-down as a slow-down. Irritating, bur no lower civil serv ...[text shortened]... ain people to suffer were the politicians themselves. In the USA, it's exactly the other way 'round.
    Yeah, 'cept to start with, the national parks are open. In fact, they're free during the "shutdown," making many vacationers hopeful that the shutdown lasts a bit.

So, great start there.
  13. Joined
    06 Dec '18
    Moves
    27 Dec '18 22:10
    @whodey said
    Yes, but it's true unless Congress can get off their arse and find us immortality.

Save us Nancy Pelosi!

Problem is, Orange man wants us all to die.
    Sarah Palin's sexyness can save us.

Pelosi is OK I guess. I wouldn't kick her out of my bed for eating crackers😉
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 13:57
    Finally, a brutally honest article about the shutdown. Yeah, yeah, I know, another opinion piece, and opinions are like... yeah, well, let's just say that everyone has one. But this one at least made me laugh about the shutdown, and if I didn't laugh, I'd cry.

https://www.theroot.com/the-shutdown-could-end-tomorrow-but-dealing-with-trump-1831339741
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 14:03
    Here's what Reuters has to say about what America thinks of the shut-down.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-shutdown-poll/more-americans-blame-trump-for-government-shutdown-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKCN1OQ1FA

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree