Gulf of Mexico

Gulf of Mexico

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Apr 10

Hand up everyone who thinks BP's gonna be footing the bill for that little mess...

silicon valley

Moves
29 Apr 10
1 edit

Hannover (Germany insurance co.) is looking at 40M Euro payout for the oil rig, tentatively.

silicon valley

Moves
29 Apr 10

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/29/national/main6444311.shtml

p

Moves
01 May 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Hand up everyone who thinks BP's gonna be footing the bill for that little mess...
I know they are gonna foot the bill....

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
01 May 10

As a capitalist, let's look at the contract: BP asserted over and over that they could do such drilling safely. They asserted that in the unlikely event of a spill, oil would be unlikely to reach the coast because it could be easily contained. That's their contract with the American people (via the government) who granted them the license to do such drilling.

Capitalists take contracts extremely seriously. The whole free market system rests on them. One of the primary justifications for the existence of government is to enforce such contracts.

So -- as a capitalist and a supporter of business and free enterprise -- BP needs to make good the environmental damage including costs of clean-up, damage to the tourist industry, damage to the fishing industry -- the whole deal.

When you are in business and take risks, these things happen.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
01 May 10

Originally posted by spruce112358
Well, unless you're a big bank, or a car manufacturer with a bunch of union employees. That's different.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 May 10

Originally posted by peanutpicker61
Doubt it. It'll be insurance, and where do they get their money from? Why, us peasants, of course.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
01 May 10

Doubt it. It'll be insurance, and where do they get their money from? Why, us peasants, of course.
And where do the peasants get their money?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 May 10

Originally posted by wolfgang59
And where do the peasants get [b]their money?[/b]
It's what our chains are made of.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 May 10

"Drill, baby drill!" as the right wingers like to say.

Seems like right wing hero Bobby Jindal has altered his view about the unnecessary federal nanny state; he wants the feds to bail out the Louisiana commercial fishing industry.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 May 10

As a capitalist, let's look at the contract: BP asserted over and over that they could do such drilling safely. They asserted that in the unlikely event of a spill, oil would be unlikely to reach the coast because it could be easily contained. That's their contract with the American people (via the government) who granted them the license to do such dri ...[text shortened]... g industry -- the whole deal.

"Capitalists take contracts extremely seriously" when it is to their financial benefit to do so. When it isn't; not so much. I expect that BP has a army of lawyers already retained to fight to reduce their financial liability as much as possible for as long as possible.

Moves
01 May 10

Yep, just like Exxon did in Alaska. Foot the bill for an army of lawyers to drag it thru the courts for years until they exhaust the finances and will of anyone inclined to fight them and then appeal for mercy to the supreme court.

BTW - have you been to southern Louisiana? The devastation wrought since the 40s will never be repaired and no one will ever be held responsible.

w

Moves
01 May 10
1 edit

Originally posted by peanutpicker61
As Joe Shmoe taxpayer pays for higher rates at the pump. LOL.

I think it is high time to convert our cars to natty gas!!

I suppose this is the best news environmentalists have heard since cap-and-trade. Now lets increase fuel rates!! 😠

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
01 May 10

Originally posted by no1marauder
"Capitalists take contracts extremely seriously" when it is to their financial benefit to do so. When it isn't; not so much. I expect that BP has a army of lawyers already retained to fight to reduce their financial liability as much as possible for as long as possible.
It isn't capitalists who conceived that government should be unable to deliver swift, sure justice.

That notion was achieved by the highly self-interested American Bar Association lobbying a lumbering Big Government that is so busy trying to "redistribute wealth" that it has completely forgotten what it was created to do.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 May 10
1 edit

It isn't capitalists who conceived that government should be unable to deliver swift, sure justice.

That notion was achieved by the highly self-interested American Bar Association lobbying a lumbering Big Government that is so busy trying to "redistribute wealth" that it has completely forgotten what it was created to do.
If that makes you sleep better at night, fine.

Anyone who thinks that capitalists and their cronies don't make the rules in the USA is deluded.