Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 10:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps you should try not jumping to conclusions! 😀
    Nor you.

I was replying to r99pawn77 who said
    It is almost as if we realized the goals of the French Revolution ...

therefore identifying himself as American, I know I'm British so I can't see any problem using "you" "we" or "ours"
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 10:51
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I was replying to r99pawn77 ...
    No you weren't. You were replying to me. Bottom of page 1. Look. But it is of no consequence.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 11:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    No you weren't. You were replying to me. Bottom of page 1. Look. But it is of no consequence.
    OK your correct ... it was straight after my reply to r99pawn77. I think my meaning was clear though ...
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 11:09
    OK your correct ... it was straight after my reply to r99pawn77. I think my meaning was clear though ...
    Indeed it was. The slip is of no consequence. On reflection, I have probably been rolling 1776 and 1787 (and a bit of 1791) together and attributing more to the 4th July 1776 than one should, although the principles laid out in the Declaration formed a basis for the Constitution and the Bill of Rights in 1791.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 11:26
    The US governmental system of; a bicameral legislature, an independent judiciary, and a separate head of state has been copied yes.
    But I think maybe Britain got their first.

And OK - you wrote your constitution down - we have to remember ours! 😀

**************** HAPPY 4th JULY EVERYONE ********************
    The US was the first nation to base its governmental philosophy on the idea that the very purpose of government was to protect the Natural Rights of the People.

Too bad that some people like sh76 think it's more important to allow political subdivisions to violate their People's rights than adhere to this principle but the Framers couldn't anticipate such stubborn ignorance.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 12:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The US was the first nation to base its governmental philosophy on the idea that the very purpose of government was to protect the Natural Rights of the People.

Too bad that some people like sh76 think it's more important to allow political subdivisions to violate their People's rights than adhere to this principle but the Framers couldn't anticipate such stubborn ignorance.
    By the way, just so that no one thinks you're blowing enormous quantities of hot air over nothing, name a right that is not expressed or implied in the US Constitution that has or should be enforced under a natural rights theory.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 12:23
    It's also too bad that most justices in US Supreme Court history share such "stubborn ignorance," right?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 12:512 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    By the way, just so that no one thinks you're blowing enormous quantities of hot air over nothing, name a right that is not expressed or implied in the US Constitution that has or should be enforced under a natural rights theory.
    "Implied" was not your earlier position; are you backpedaling?

sh76: Right A isn't enumerated in the Bill of Rights; therefore it it not within the authority of the federal government to force states to guarantee it to its citizens.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 12:55
    I don't think so; but let's assume for the moment that I am. what's the difference?

I have no inherent problem with the Griswold rationale ("penumbras and emanations" of the other rights BOR to infer a right to privacy). At least the Court sought to find a textual basis for their decision. Whether "penumbras and emanations" is an honest way to read the Constitution is another matter; but that's a far cry from holding states to rules not at all implied in the Constitution.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 12:56

sh76: Right A isn't enumerated in the Bill of Rights; therefore it it not within the authority of the federal government to force states to guarantee it to its citizens.
    The Constitution is necessarily vague. Implied by text could be considered the same as enumerated by text.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 12:56
    I don't think so; but let's assume for the moment that I am. what's the difference?

I have no inherent problem with the Griswold rationale ("penumbras and emanations" of the other rights BOR to infer a right to privacy). At least the Court sought to find a textual basis for their decision. Whether "penumbras and emanations" is an honest way to read the Const ...[text shortened]... ut that's a far cry from holding states to rules not at all implied in the Constitution.
    The Ninth Amendment states, not implies, that there are other rights besides those enumerated.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 12:57
    The Constitution is necessarily vague. Implied by text could be considered the same as enumerated by text.
    In an Orwell novel.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 13:29
    It's also too bad that most justices in US Supreme Court history share such "stubborn ignorance," right?
    In the last 50 years, they've generally gotten to the correct result even though they are using reasoning that the Framers would have rejected.

I know of no present Supreme Court justice who shares your view that the "original intent" of the Framers is utterly irrelevant.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree