1. Germany
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 19:52
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    Why do you need force to be insured? If everyone wants it, let them save and invest in their healthcare themselves. Why doesn't the government just do a subsidy?
    Well, one very good reason is that people don't walk in emergency rooms uninsured like they do in the US. This keeps costs of insurance down, since more people are paying. Furthermore, it's to protect stupid people against themselves since everyone can afford insurance here.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 20:022 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, one very good reason is that people don't walk in emergency rooms uninsured like they do in the US. This keeps costs of insurance down, since more people are paying. Furthermore, it's to protect stupid people against themselves since everyone can afford insurance here.
    What about illegals? I wonder if they will get fined thousands of dollars and/or do jail time for not having insurance? My guess is that it will only be legal residents that get penalized in this way. Crazy, huh?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 20:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    What about illegals? I wonder if they will get fined thousands of dollars and/or do jail time for not having insurance? My guess is that it will only be legal residents that get penalized in this way. Crazy, huh?
    Well, that is not crazy and the problem can be easily solved by reducing the amount of illegals.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 20:07
    Well, that is not crazy and the problem can be easily solved by reducing the amount of illegals.
    LOL. Reduce the amount of legals? How can we do that?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 20:15
    LOL. Reduce the amount of [il]legals? How can we do that?
    Either by issuing passports or by sending them back.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 20:251 edit
    Either by issuing passports or by sending them back.
    But they don't do that, do they? So how are we suppose to fix this problem until the problem of illegal immigration is fixed? You see, government only wants to move from one massive entitlement pollicy to the other without fixing the messes made by their later policies.

As a side note, why does it even matter if they are citizens? I thought the idea behind universal coverage was that it was the "right" and "humane" thing to do? I didn't think it had so much to do with affordability as it was a human right.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 20:36
    But they don't do that, do they? So how are we suppose to fix this problem until the problem of illegal immigration is fixed? You see, government only wants to move from one massive entitlement pollicy to the other without fixing the messes made by their later policies.

As a side note, why does it even matter if they are citizens? I thought the idea beh ...[text shortened]... ng to do? I didn't think it had so much to do with affordability as it was a human right.
    I think the main idea behind universal coverage is that it provides better health care at a lower price.

And illegals are already getting free emergency care, so no change there.
  8. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 21:32
    If we're gonna have an open debate with realistic perspectives, the undocumented population is not single handedly driving up costs, in fact they have low rates of healthcare participation due to fear of deportation, and overall they use less costs and tend to be younger and healthier.

It is the elderly and those near death that drive up costs highly.

Everyone who is forced to get health insurance by being tracked can also be fined/punished. It's both or neither. How could anyone track undocumented immigrants to force them to get coverage but not to tax them for it??
  9. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 21:33
    Protecting people against themselves... happens an aweful lot in Europe, doesn't it?
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 01:58
    Why would anyone not want insurance?
    That is incidental---suppose I don't want insurance because it's against my religion? Or because I think I'm Superman and don't need it? Or on general principles? The point is one should NOT be forced to spend THEIR money on something THEY do not want.
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 02:00
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    That is incidental---suppose I don't want insurance because it's against my religion? Or because I think I'm Superman and don't need it? Or on general principles? The point is one should NOT be forced to spend THEIR money on something THEY do not want.
    How about the fact it is overpriced.
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 03:35
    Better yet, why would the government mandate you have it? I think they full well know some people will buck the system, otherwise, why have such an outrageous law?

Perhaps they prefer outsourcing their medical care to another country? Perhaps they are young and healthy and would prefer to spend all their income getting themselves financially established? ...[text shortened]... happen if they locked up all the tax payers. Then we would all have free health care to boot!!
    Because whodey I'm paying for it so quit your bitching 🙂 .
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 03:38
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    stewart is the pinnacle of liberal wisdom .... next to colbert ... the twin peaks ....

comprehensive insurance is not mandatory. comprehensive insures your own property, like health insurance insures your body.

liability is mandatory. cars kill people regularly, and liabilty pays the bills of the guy you hit.
    When you go to the ER and can't pay your bill that's liability.
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 03:48
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    That's too strong. I don't want to pay for liability insurance on my car but I must. Hardcore Libertarians seem to struggle with the idea of externalities.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    30 Sep '09 03:531 edit
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    How about the fact it is overpriced.
    A big part of the reason it is overpriced is because healthy people opt out. This increases the risk in the remaining pool. Since healthy people cannot credibly seperate themselves from the unhealthy, insurance companies cannot price each person according to their inividual risk. As a result they must use large pools and the law of large numbers. Classic adverse selection.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree