1. Pepperland
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 17:38
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    So far, experience has shown the answer to be no.
    even so, covering people worldwide would be incredibly costly, a very surreal suggestion anyway.

every country should take care of its own people in its own way, nobody should be forced to take care of the people from other countries simply because their government is too incompetent.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 01:34
    a roof over everyone's head -- food in everyone's belly -- a job for everyone.

Do you believe America is so powerless or weak-willed that it can't find a way to reach these relatively modest goals?
    The people yes, the government, no.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 01:35
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    That should be the goal.

But first lets start with the US.
    I think it will be the next step headed by the UN..
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 01:371 edit
    So far, experience has shown the answer to be no.
    The same can be said of the government. After all, where is the Great Society LBJ promised? Where is the utopia in communist countries etc?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 02:01
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    even so, covering people worldwide would be incredibly costly, a very surreal suggestion anyway.

every country should take care of its own people in its own way, nobody should be forced to take care of the people from other countries simply because their government is too incompetent.
    Who cares about cost any more? After all, the US is going to double its debt of about $11 trillion very soon and all they do is try and tackle bigger and better entitlements. In fact, I'm not really sure 11 trillion is even a real number.

Edit: Does anyone know what comes after trillion?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 13:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    Who cares about cost any more? After all, the US is going to double its debt of about $11 trillion very soon and all they do is try and tackle bigger and better entitlements. In fact, I'm not really sure 11 trillion is even a real number.

Edit: Does anyone know what comes after trillion?
    so that is why the us doesn't have universal health care? because it is too poor? doesn't have the money?

here is food for the soul: take one aircraft carrier, and see what it costs everyday to keep it going, launch fighter jets thingies and generally look cool. now tell me how many americans could be given whatever medical procedure they might need but can't afford it because they don't make 6 figure salaries a year.
  7. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 14:48
    Originally posted by fatalinsomnia
    I haven't read the link you posted, but I am very concerned about the prospect. In my state, we have health insurance for the low-income population, and I think it is definitely a good thing, even with its somewhat-massive shortcomings. However, a national health care plan worries me a bit, for too many reasons to go into right here. I don't know much ...[text shortened]... ng proposed, but in the very least I would wish for private practice not to be done away with.
    The public option does not do away with private insurance.
  8. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    10 Oct '09 09:25
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    whats wrong with leaving them to die in the streets?

the US system is working just fine, if you don't have money its just too bad, thats how it works.
    Republican healthcare plan: don't get sick; and if you do get sick, then die quickly.
  9. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    10 Oct '09 13:15
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    The public option does not do away with private insurance.
    Frankly, if it did, it would be fine with me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree