1. silicon valley
    Moves
    14 May '10 21:28
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100514/ap_on_bi_ge/[WORD TOO LONG]

http://tinyurl.com/26nrssu

High-risk patients may be stuck paying high rates
    AP

AP Medical Writer Carla K. Johnson – Fri May 14, 12:01 pm ET

CHICAGO – For thousands of Illinois residents who pay high health insurance premiums because of medical problems, the new federal health care legislation won't offer relief.

The 16,000 residents who already pay into Illinois' high-risk health insurance pool will keep paying high rates, while others who enroll this summer under a new, similar program will get coverage at much lower, more reasonable prices.

Illinois is among the states that have told the federal government they want to take part in the new high-risk pool program, an early component of the U.S. health care overhaul law. Illinois hopes to start enrolling people in the new program in July.

The federal government has $5 billion for the state pools, which will help people with pre-existing conditions get coverage until 2014, when insurance companies will no longer be able to deny them coverage. The law requires that the new, temporary pools charge no more than standard rates.

But only people who have been uninsured for six months are eligible — meaning those in the current state pool can't switch and save.

Julie Kramer, 53, is feeling a bit cheated. She's paid high premiums — about $700 a month — for nearly seven years into Illinois' high-risk pool.

"It feels very unfair. It goes against the spirit of what health care reform was supposed to be," said Kramer, a self-employed writer and owner of Full Moon Marketing Communications in Vernon Hills. "This does seem like a low blow."

2. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    18 May '10 03:30
    still waiting for my rates to go down
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    18 May '10 11:57
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100514/ap_on_bi_ge/[WORD TOO LONG]

http://tinyurl.com/26nrssu

High-risk patients may be s ...[text shortened]... Moon Marketing Communications in Vernon Hills. "This does seem like a low blow."

So what would you propose we do to help the people in the existing high risk pools?
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 May '10 13:131 edit

Julie Kramer, 53, is feeling a bit cheated. She's paid high premiums — about $700 a month — for nearly seven years into Illinois' high-risk pool.

"It feels very unfair. It goes against the spirit of what health care reform was supposed to be," said Kramer, a self-employed writer and owner of Full Moon Marketing

Hey Julie, Stop whining. You're not entitled to anything but the fruits of your own work. Obviously you can afford to pay your $700 premiums, because you've been doing so. You're not ENTITLED to have the government subsidize the services you want. You want a service... great. Pay market value for it and shut up. I'd love for the government to subsidize a new car for me, but you don't see me whining about how cash for clunkers was so unfair because it didn't help me.

Low blow. LOL. I guess having people pay for what they consume constitutes a "low blow" these days. 🙄
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 May '10 14:25
    High-risk patients may be stuck paying high rates
    Exactly what so many "right wingers" and shills for the insurance industry wanted. Perhaps Obama has succeeded in a bit of triangulation.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    18 May '10 15:291 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Hey Julie, Stop whining. You're not entitled to anything but the fruits of your own work. Obviously you can afford to pay your $700 premiums, because you've been doing so. You're not ENTITLED to have the government subsidize the services you want. You want a service... great. Pay market value for it and shut up. I'd love for the government to subsidize a new c I guess having people pay for what they consume constitutes a "low blow" these days. 🙄
    Julie was probably whining last August about not wanting a "government takeover" of her healthcare.

But now she realizes she does want government to takeover her healthcare and she doesn't qualify.
  7. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    18 May '10 18:48
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Julie was probably whining last August about not wanting a "government takeover" of her healthcare.

But now she realizes she does want government to takeover her healthcare and she doesn't qualify.
    Julie is waiting for you and HughGlass and zeeble and sh76 to chip in and pay for her health care.

So what's the hold up, you people? Surely human beings are worth more than whatever-you've-been-wasting-your-money-on-lately?

Julie needs your money. Moreover, she has a right to it. Whoever told you you could have that much money, anyway?
  8. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    19 May '10 22:04
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Julie is waiting for you and HughGlass and zeeble and sh76 to chip in and pay for her health care.

So what's the hold up, you people? Surely human beings are worth more than whatever-you've-been-wasting-your-money-on-lately?

Julie needs your money. Moreover, she has a right to it. Whoever told you you could have that much money, anyway?
    argh, I paid 1000.00 a month for my cobra, for 18 dam months. Still had to pay for the rest of the family,,,,, High risk is almost as expensive, and far short of what COBRA covered.
    So now I'm hoping they don't mess with medicare, which is about 7 months away.
    I need an "under the table" job. Anybody??
  9. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    19 May '10 22:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    Exactly what so many "right wingers" and shills for the insurance industry wanted. Perhaps Obama has succeeded in a bit of triangulation.
    no, we wanted something that came in at less than 2000 pages, that you didn't have to have a lawyer explain to you, that actually did someone some good, before 4 years?
    Has anyone benefited from this? I'd love to hear some feedback. I'm all ears.
    ??????????
    Come on FMF, surely you can find some examples of where some people have been helped this year?
    Look over at the site for sick people,,,, www.patientslikeme,,,,, Notta thing from them.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '10 01:26
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    Come on FMF, surely you can find some examples of where some people have been helped this year?
    It's been passed but has it kicked in yet?

It extends access to affordable health care to 30,000,000 people.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 May '10 02:50
    argh, I paid 1000.00 a month for my cobra, for 18 dam months. Still had to pay for the rest of the family,,,,, High risk is almost as expensive, and far short of what COBRA covered.
    So now I'm hoping they don't mess with medicare, which is about 7 months away.
    I need an "under the table" job. Anybody??
    How do you feel about working for the IRS? I hear they are hiring. Outiside of that, sorry.
  12. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    20 May '10 17:023 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's been passed but has it kicked in yet?

It extends access to affordable health care to 30,000,000 people.
    Some people were duped into thinking their problems would be solved,, rather quickly. The insurance for high risk, is garanteed not to be any higher than 4x what a healthy person would pay? Now how is it, that a person with a chronic disease, and who is more than likely not working will be able to pay 4x what a healthy person pays? Figure that one out.
    What is the defination of affordable?
    Kick a defination out for me please. Something in layman terms?? Lol

Here is where you usually make your exit.

Once again, go where the real information is, to the people..www.patientslikeme.com,, ask them FMF,,, think chronic disease hits only the left? or the right?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '10 18:212 edits
    Some people were duped into thinking their problems would be solved,, rather quickly.
    Your comments here seem to indicate that you were one of them. The reform has been passed but has it kicked in yet? It extends access to affordable health care to 30,000,000 people. If that is all the reform achieves, then it is to be welcomed in place of when 30,000,000 people had less access than they do now.

"think chronic disease hits only the left? or the right?"

What are you wittering on about? I've never referred to the political leanings of patients. In fact I don't think anyone has.
  14. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    20 May '10 20:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your comments here seem to indicate that you were one of them. The reform has been passed but has it kicked in yet? It extends access to affordable health care to 30,000,000 people. If that is all the reform achieves, then it is to be welcomed in place of when 30,000,000 people had less access than they do now.

[b]"think chronic disease hits only the left? o ...[text shortened]... ver referred to the political leanings of patients. In fact I don't think anyone has.
    No, I was against that bill from the start..... check out some of the posts. I could see absolutely no way to pay for it, and.................... lol brain fart. Just looked at another of your words,,, wittering.
    My gosh you are entertaining, if nothing else.
    Has it extended health care to 30,000,000 people?
    Proof?
    What is affordable?
    everything with you is a view from the Left...
  15. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    21 May '10 00:12
    Tam - I'm in a special foreclosure prevention program through my county. If my SSDI doesn't come through by August, hopefully, we'll be able to get the sheriff's sale postponed again (it was previously scheduled for May 3rd). My mortgage company has asked me if I'm interested in a short sale, but right now, with my kids in school and a new baby due in November, I'm just not ready to go over that with them. However, it may be what I need to do. I'm still trying to save our home. That way we have time to make repairs and sell it full value.

Thanks, Laurie. I'm ready for some good fortune to come my way, so anyone else who wants to throw me some good vibes, I'll take 'em.

Here, a post from a MS forum,, how did Obama help her? FMF? Anyone?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree