Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 Jun '10 17:16
    they're talking about building a high speed rail link from SF to LA.

my thoughts last week were

then i read this article in Beijing Review (link points to 2nd page of article, with a table of current and future high-speed rail links in China): http://www.bjreview.com/print/txt/2010-05/24/content_274097_3.htm

they're popping up all over there!

they do have a much greater population density.

and more centralized control of government and the economy.

and a much cheaper labor base.

so i'm guessing my original objections to the CA link still hold, notwithstanding EU and China.

it'll be a big boondoggle / featherbed, they'll spend billions of dollars on it before they abandon the project as too expensive.
  2. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    09 Jun '10 12:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    Not too sure about that one. My 6 year old is a firm fan of Transrapid maglev, and I've yet to meet another person who can quote as many random stats as he does about what it does and where its deployed. Bless his heart he wants to build a link between Australia and Germany, so he can visit Berlin Central Station(Hauptbahnhof) in it. We will have a station that adjoins our back-yard.....

But seriously if you work out the volume of air traffic that flies under 700km, and you work out the airport congestion you will ease and the productivity the total travel time a maglev link running to the second will boost any economy using it will gain, then along with the lowered total environmental impact as far as noise and pulltion goes, it will have to be the way of the future.

Shanghai's maglev runs like clockwork. Its only 30 odd km long yes thats true, but its proving itself to be the technology of the future. We laughed at made in Japan. Now China is embracing technology and within the next 10 years will probably own the zero emissions auto industry. Maglev trains are a part of her future as well. In a hundred years the Nike sweatshops will be a forgotten memory, but the lead that dear old adaptive China is taking now will help put her so far forward of everyone else, we will be like Alice, on the outside, looking into Wonderland...just a thought...

btw I thought my son crazy for sugesting a maglev link from Australia to Germany, and without expressly telling him that, I set about patiently explaining to him how difficult the task would be and how improbable. Then googling along one day I had to bite my tongue when I came across this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frYWTrEfPRs

Someone's actually thought about something on this scale! New York - Paris in under an hour. The future is for kids!
  3. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    09 Jun '10 12:17
    ...Beijing Review (link points to 2nd page of article, with a table of current and future high-speed rail links in China): http://www.bjreview.com/print/txt/2010-05/24/content_274097_3.htm
    I read the link and found that they are embracing tradtional wheeled high speed. Maybe its not maglev's time yet but I do hope someday it will be.

...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Maglev_Train
  4. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    09 Jun '10 12:34
    High-speed rail is great for such distances. No going to and from the airport, baggage drops and what not. London-Paris is much better by train than flying, despite having to slow down in the Channel tunnel part. I don't see why this wouldn't work well between SF and LA or Boston and NY.
  5. 09 Jun '10 12:38

my thoughts last week were

then i read this article in Beijing Review (link points to 2nd page of article, with a table of current and future high-speed rail links in China): http://www.bjreview.com/print/txt/2010-05/24/content_274097_3.htm

...[text shortened]... , they'll spend billions of dollars on it before they abandon the project as too expensive.
    Consider all of the hassle that goes into taking the trip by plane -- all the time spent waiting in the airport and-or on the runway -- the inconvenience of getting bumped from an overbooked flight -- the delays due to bad weather -- the extra fees for your bags and just about anything else.

Why would anyone bother with that when they could just hop on a high speed train and get from SF to LA in an hour?
  6. 10 Jun '10 09:30
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Not too sure about that one. My 6 year old is a firm fan of Transrapid maglev, and I've yet to meet another person who can quote as many random stats as he does about what it does and where its deployed. Bless his heart he wants to build a link between Australia and Germany, so he can visit Berlin Central Station(Hauptbahnhof) in it. We will have a station th ...[text shortened]... ght about something on this scale! New York - Paris in under an hour. The future is for kids!
    don't know about the youtube link but one of larry niven's books ("world out of time", i think) has chunnels linking various points of the earth through the crust.
  7. Subscriber Scotty70
    Super IT/Telco man
    11 Jun '10 20:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    High-speed rail is great for such distances. No going to and from the airport, baggage drops and what not. London-Paris is much better by train than flying, despite having to slow down in the Channel tunnel part. I don't see why this wouldn't work well between SF and LA or Boston and NY.
    There is high speed rail service between Boston and Washington,DC with stops in NY. It's called the ACELA express. It makes the trip (456 mi) in about 6.5 hours.