1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 21:56
    More and more, any attack on Hillary Clinton that has to do with either her age or physical appearance has been deemed "sexist" in the media.

My problem with this, is that this is a practice that has gone on with pretty much every notable politician. For example:

Does anyone here remember that shirtless pic of Obama jogging on the beach? No one considered that pic to be "sexist", and no one scrutinized the media for fawning over him (like the media with Sarah Palin's 'Time' photo)?.
    Or what about Chris Christie, who gets made fun of constantly for his weight?
    Or Donald Trump who's constantly mocked for his hair?
    What about Bill Clinton, who was constantly mocked for being overweight (like David Letterman who referred to Clinton as "Tubby" for years)? What about those who mocked Bob Dole on account of his age?

Keep in mind: this is NOT an issue of diverting attention away from sexism that women face. This is a matter of people taking offense when a female politician is scrutinized for physical appearance or age, which are things that male politicians have always been scrutinized for. To me, this seems to be an unfair way to silence critics of Hillary who mock her hair while Trump's hair is a public laughingstock.

One can also say that since every aspect of life is more difficult for women, that this double-standard balances everything else. Perhaps. However, if we're talking about elected office and choosing those who will govern us, this doesn't seem right.

Then again, Americans also need to wise-up and stop electing candidates as if selecting the senior prom king or queen. If Americans were really this mature, this double-standard would be a non-issue.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 22:26
    I think your point is valid, although the comparison between men and women when the comments have to do with anything about their physicality is not 'apples and apples.'
    A comment about a man's physical trait is less reductive than the comment about a woman's.
    Having said that, I'm already tired of the argument that the need for the U.S. to elect a woman is a reason to elect this woman. Mind you I think Hillary might easily be qualified to be president. I am not nearly so sure that we need any more Clintons.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 23:01
    Originally posted by stevemcc
    I think your point is valid, although the comparison between men and women when the comments have to do with anything about their physicality is not 'apples and apples.'
    A comment about a man's physical trait is less reductive than the comment about a woman's..
    The comments are still pretty scathing, and at a level that hasn't happened with Hillary.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 23:15
    Originally posted by vivify
    More and more, any attack on Hillary Clinton that has to do with either her age or physical appearance has been deemed "sexist" in the media.

My problem with this, is that this is a practice that has gone on with pretty much every notable politician. For example:

Does anyone here remember that shirtless pic of Obama jogging on the beach? No one consi ...[text shortened]... king or queen. If Americans were really this mature, this double-standard would be a non-issue.
    I saw an article two cycles ago which asserted that almost all Presidential elections have been won by the taller candidate. Coincidence? Obama was taller than either McCain or Romney.

Advice to Hillary, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 03:15
    Two words.

Sarah Palin
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 20:151 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Two words.

Sarah Palin
    Yeah, Sarah Palin gets my vote for sexy. However, she should have talked less and showed off her assets more. 😏
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 22:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yeah, Sarah Palin gets my vote for sexy. However, she should have talked less and showed off her assets more. 😏
    Is it anyone's contention that Sarah Palin was qualified to be president?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 22:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 00:29
    Originally posted by stevemcc
    Is it anyone's contention that Sarah Palin was qualified to be president?
    She would make good eye candy for vice president. That is the point I was making.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 02:15

Does anyone here remember that shirtless pic of Obama jogging on the beach? No one consi ...[text shortened]... king or queen. If Americans were really this mature, this double-standard would be a non-issue.
    one wrong is not validated by another. just to make it clear
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 02:25
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    one wrong is not validated by another. just to make it clear
    Didn't say it did. My problem is when no one complains about politicians being made fun of for their looks or age until it happens to Hillary.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 03:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Well she does seem more intelligent than the majority of the women I know and with beauty and a lot of sex appeal too.
  13. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 07:36

Freedom of the press is a sword that cuts both ways. It can inform us about truly important matters, and it can produce unnecessary garbage that springs from a tabloid mentality. Such is the reality of political reporting.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 08:34
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well she does seem more intelligent than the majority of the women I know and with beauty and a lot of sex appeal too.
    Do you live in a mental institution for the morbidly obese?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Aug '15 05:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Do you live in a mental institution for the morbidly obese?
    NO

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree