1. silicon valley
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 23:40
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitol-briefing/2009/11/calling_election_stolen_hoffma.html

Calling election stolen, Hoffman rescinds concession in New York

By Garance Franke-Ruta
    For the second time this week, Conservative Party congressional candidate Douglas L. Hoffman sought to rescind his concession in the special election in New York's 23rd district, telling supporters that new information showing the results of the election closer than believed on election night made him reevaluate his decision to throw in the towel.

"I am therefore revoking my statement of concession," he wrote in a fundraising letter titled "Stop Another Stolen Election!" and posted on his Web site Wednesday night.

"ACORN and the unions did their best to try and sway the results to Obamacare supporter Bill Owens," he told supporters, naming the Democrat who claimed victory and has been seated in the House of Representatives, though election results will not be certified until next month. "I was forced to concede after receiving two pieces of grim news - - down 5,335 votes with 93 percent of the vote counted on election night -- and barely won my stronghold in Oswego County. On Election Night, the information we received was far different from what we received this week!"

2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 23:47
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    "ACORN and the unions did their best to try and sway the results to Obamacare supporter Bill Owens,"
    Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Election loser calls foul as supporters of his opponent support his opponent.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 23:51
    not support ... voter fraud ...
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 23:53
    not support ... voter fraud ...
    Yeah, right.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 23:591 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Election loser calls foul as supporters of his opponent support his opponent.
    Whether he's in fact a loser now seems to be unclear, although it's still likely that he lost.

http://www.jbs.org/jbs-news-feed/5662-new-developments-in-ny-23-congressional-election

I certainly don't blame him for wanting all the votes to be counted and for being annoyed that he conceded based on faulty info and that he opponent was sworn in before it's clear who the winner is.

If he's still behind once all the votes are counted, then he'll probably concede and go away. If he doesn't do so at that point, then you'll have something to rip him on.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 00:02
    Originally posted by sh76
    If he's still behind once all the votes are counted, then he'll probably concede and go away. If he doesn't do so at that point, then you'll have something to rip him on.
    Sure. Wait for the votes to be counted. Who could argue with that? But what's with the pre-emptive insinuations of fraud?
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 00:091 edit
    who knows? Maybe ACORN shipped in 5000 pimps to vote under the name of assorted Disney cartoon characters. They'd better'd check the rolls to make sure that all those votes by Mr. Mouse and Mr. Duck and Mr. Jonas are all legit.
  8. Joined
    07 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 01:05
    Maybe Hoffman can get some cronies to pull a few votes out of thier arse like Franken did.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 02:16
    If he doesn't do so at that point, then you'll have something to rip him on.
    Well one can rip him for http://www.doughoffmanforcongress.com/stolenelection.html

What a supremely grotty letter!

He makes what may be a strong case sound like obnoxious pouting lashing out.

I wonder if people knew these - his true colours - when they voted for him.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 02:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well one can rip him for http://www.doughoffmanforcongress.com/stolenelection.html

What a supremely grotty letter!

He makes what may be a strong case sound like obnoxious pouting lashing out.

I wonder if people knew these - his true colours - when they voted for him.
    Recent developments leave me to wonder who is scheming behind closed doors, twisting arms and stealing elections from the voters of NY-23.

Yikes.

Never mind.

I revoke my support of Hoffman.

Then again, seems like he's just trying to get people to give him money, so maybe he's just saying whatever will inspire people to give him money.

Well, actually, that might make it worse...

I hope the FLA GOP remembers this and nominates Crist over Rubio.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 02:34
    seems like he's just trying to get people to give him money, so maybe he's just saying whatever will inspire people to give him money.

Well, actually, that might make it worse...
    I considered focusing on his appeal for money in my previous post but elected to do a kind of broad outraged pouting instead.

In fact, I wanted to ask: why does he need money? Can you not request recounts and the like without money? Is it to get 'lawyered up'? I am curious.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 02:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    I considered focusing on his appeal for money in my previous post but elected to do a kind of broad outraged pouting instead.

In fact, I wanted to ask: why does he need money? Can you not request recounts and the like without money? Is it to get 'lawyered up'? I am curious.
    Yeah; it's not just asking for the recount. It's filing lawsuits demanding not only a recount but supervisors overseeing the recount, hiring people to oversee the overseers; having a staff of lawyers and election experts ready to challenge every questionable vote, etc., etc.

The Florida mess in 2000 probably added millions of dollars to the FLA economy.
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 05:22
    Recent developments leave me to wonder who is scheming behind closed doors, twisting arms and stealing elections from the voters of NY-23.

Yikes.

Never mind.

I revoke my support of Hoffman.

Then again, seems like he's just trying to get people to give him money, so maybe he's just saying whatever will inspire people to give him money.

We ...[text shortened]... might make it worse...

I hope the FLA GOP remembers this and nominates Crist over Rubio.
    maybe he's right, tho.
  14. Joined
    07 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 10:151 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

Franken Recount Effort Raises $2.1 Million Since Election Day
    Posted in Press Releases on December 4th, 2008

SAINT PAUL [12/04/08] “The Al Franken for Senate campaign today announced that $2.1 million had been raised for its recount effort, both directly by the campaign and through a joint fundraising committee with the Minnesota DFL Party (the Franken Recount Fund). As of November 24, the campaign and the joint fundraising committee had a combined $1.9 million cash on hand.

I believe you must have money to go through the motions, and all must get "lawyered up" to get the process moving forward.

As for Acorn, I think we all know by now they do have a bit of a smell coming from them when there is an election around.

That being said I think Hoffman might have taken it to the extreme just a bit.

All and all I don't think this is grounds for dropping support for him if you did support him.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 12:52
    maybe he's right, tho.
    Well, maybe. But no one can stand the guy who yells at the ref when he loses.

Challenge all you like, but to yell about conspiracies without any evidence is bad sportsmanship.

(Sorry about the sports metaphors; but they work so well... 😉)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree