Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    12 May '17 14:42
    Hollywood is known for squeezing everything possible out of any moneymaker possible.

    One of its bigger hits, Apollo 13, brought in $355M worldwide was nominated for some 36 awards, winning 13, and yet Hollywood didn't go back to the well.

    In fact, there are only two supposedly fact-based films from Hollywood on the space program, The Right Stuff and Apollo 13, out of well over 212 space-themed movies.Reveal Hidden Content
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_about_outer_space


    Neither of these two movies include landing on the moon, curiously.
    According to most considerations, landing on the moon was the seminal scientific accomplishment of all mankind's history.

    And yet Hollywood has left the topic completely, emphatically and profoundly... alone.

    Weird, huh.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52851
    12 May '17 14:483 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Hollywood is known for squeezing everything possible out of any moneymaker possible.

    One of its bigger hits, Apollo 13, brought in $355M worldwide was nominated for some 36 awards, winning 13, and yet Hollywood didn't go back to the well.

    In fact, there are only two supposedly fact-based films from Hollywood on the space program, [i]The Right ...[text shortened]... et Hollywood has left the topic completely, emphatically and profoundly... alone.

    Weird, huh.
    You asswipe, you maybe forget about the movie 2001? And 13 was done BECAUSE of an explosion that could have killed all onboard but it was the engineering genius back on Earth that allowed using stuff onboard to scrub CO2 and therefore survive the trip back home. That was based on the situation for REAL not your paranoid dreams.

    https://www.stuff.tv/news/25-best-moon-movies-ever

    And one The trip to the moon done in 1902. But I guess that doesn't count in your twisted mind.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    12 May '17 14:511 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You asswipe, you maybe forget about the movie 2001? And 13 was done BECAUSE of an explosion that could have killed all onboard but it was the engineering genius back on Earth that allowed using stuff onboard to scrub CO2 and therefore survive the trip back home. That was based on the situation for REAL not your paranoid dreams.
    You asswipe, you maybe forget about the movie 2001?
    Good point.
    I had forgotten about that fantasy.

    😴
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52851
    12 May '17 14:54
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]You asswipe, you maybe forget about the movie 2001?
    Good point.
    I had forgotten about that fantasy.

    😴[/b]
    And just what the hell else would it be having been done before Apollo landed? I renew my perspective: Assswipe squared. And ignoring the 25 best moon movie link.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    12 May '17 15:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And just what the hell else would it be having been done before Apollo landed? I renew my perspective: Assswipe squared. And ignoring the 25 best moon movie link.
    Your clickbait of the best 25 space-themed movies is irrelevant: I've already provided a close-to-comprehensive list of 212 space-themed movies.
    Two of them claim to be fact based, leaving 210 of them otherwise, i.e., fantasy, sci-fi, horror, comedy, etc..

    The most important scientific event in human history, and Hollywood made exactly...

    ZERO

    movies based on the event--- despite the blockbuster status of Apollo 13.

    It's almost as though they didn't want to show what a moon landing filmed in a studio looks like in comparison to the "real one."
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    10974
    12 May '17 15:05
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH

    Weird, huh.
    You are indeed sir, you are indeed.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52851
    12 May '17 15:051 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Your clickbait of the best 25 space-themed movies is irrelevant: I've already provided a close-to-comprehensive list of 212 space-themed movies.
    Two of them claim to be fact based, leaving 210 of them otherwise, i.e., fantasy, sci-fi, horror, comedy, etc..

    The most important scientific event in human history, and Hollywood made exactly...

    [b][i]ZERO ...[text shortened]... want to show what a moon landing filmed in a studio looks like in comparison to the "real one."
    No, because the real thing was way too much of a blockbuster by itself. If there was some drama in the people they might but not just to glorify a done deal. You have a very myopic view of movie making. You actually for some stupid reason think you actually have some kind of argument. You have as usual, nothing but bullshyte.

    Why do you think they did 13? Because of the tremendous engineering feat of getting to the moon? No, it was because of the engineering genius getting them back alive after the explosion on Apollo. It is DRAMA that drives movies.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    12 May '17 15:07
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You are indeed sir, you are indeed.
    I'm obviously okay with that.
    Weirder still, however, is the fact that Hollywood has fallen completely silent on the landing.
    We've made factually-based movies about nearly everything under the sun, but this one topic... nada.
    Nada on NASA.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52851
    12 May '17 15:10
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I'm obviously okay with that.
    Weirder still, however, is the fact that Hollywood has fallen completely silent on the landing.
    We've made factually-based movies about nearly everything under the sun, but this one topic... nada.
    Nada on NASA.
    So why don't you go out and get the money and do it yourself, show how it was 'really' done? I'm sure you would be a billionaire after that.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    12 May '17 15:271 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    No, because the real thing was way too much of a blockbuster by itself. If there was some drama in the people they might but not just to glorify a done deal. You have a very myopic view of movie making. You actually for some stupid reason think you actually have some kind of argument. You have as usual, nothing but bullshyte.

    Why do you think they did 13 ...[text shortened]... ng genius getting them back alive after the explosion on Apollo. It is DRAMA that drives movies.
    No, because the real thing was way too much of a blockbuster by itself.
    So was the sinking of the Titanic.
    Or JFK's murder.

    Here's how "myopic" my view of movie making is, professor.
    Here's a listReveal Hidden Content
    http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/06/the-15-best-movies-inspired-by-true-events/
    of 15 movies produced by Hollywood which were based on true stories--- actually it's only 13 of them that are based on truth, as two of them, Apollo 13 and United 93 are both based on hoaxes perpetrated by the shadow government.

    You want drama?
    Could it been any more dramatic than that first step onto the lunar surface?
    Hard to think of one.

    And yet... nada on NASA.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    12 May '17 16:142 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Hollywood is known for squeezing everything possible out of any moneymaker possible.

    One of its bigger hits, Apollo 13, brought in $355M worldwide was nominated for some 36 awards, winning 13, and yet Hollywood didn't go back to the well.

    In fact, there are only two supposedly fact-based films from Hollywood on the space program, [i]The Right ...[text shortened]... et Hollywood has left the topic completely, emphatically and profoundly... alone.

    Weird, huh.
    Alternative facts.

    On that list I see 13 with "moon" in the title.

    See also:

    https://www.stuff.tv/news/25-best-moon-movies-ever

    So your Wikipedia list missed some. Note your list includes only those movies that have Wikipedia articles.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    12 May '17 16:24
    Originally posted by JS357
    Alternative facts.

    On that list I see 13 with "moon" in the title.

    See also:

    https://www.stuff.tv/news/25-best-moon-movies-ever

    So your Wikipedia list missed some. Note your list includes only those movies that have Wikipedia articles.
    Putting it into the title doesn't make it scientific or factual, though.

    No one is doing their scientific research on Moonstruck anytime soon.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    10974
    12 May '17 16:39
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I'm obviously okay with that.
    Weirder still, however, is the fact that Hollywood has fallen completely silent on the landing.
    We've made factually-based movies about nearly everything under the sun, but this one topic... nada.
    Nada on NASA.
    Are we excluding Moonwalk One?

    Is your argument that Hollywood is part of the conspiracy? If so, surely they would be making a plethora of films about the moon landings to add to their authenticity?
  14. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56271
    12 May '17 16:45
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Hollywood is known for squeezing everything possible out of any moneymaker possible.

    One of its bigger hits, Apollo 13, brought in $355M worldwide was nominated for some 36 awards, winning 13, and yet Hollywood didn't go back to the well.

    In fact, there are only two supposedly fact-based films from Hollywood on the space program, [i]The Right ...[text shortened]... et Hollywood has left the topic completely, emphatically and profoundly... alone.

    Weird, huh.
    Superman 2 has the moon in it.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    12 May '17 16:49
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Are we excluding Moonwalk One?

    Is your argument that Hollywood is part of the conspiracy? If so, surely they would be making a plethora of films about the moon landings to add to their authenticity?
    Moonwalk One saw limited release and didn't gain a lot of traction.
    Nonetheless, it was a documentary and they don't typically do well.
    Dramatizations are where the money is, and on this epochal topic, Hollywood has done exactly nothing.

    My guess is, they don't want to outdo what has already been done, thus casting any more doubt onto the 'event.'
Back to Top