How Portugal deals with drug addictions:

How Portugal deals with drug addictions:

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 Aug 18

http://time.com/longform/portugal-drug-use-decriminalization/

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
01 Aug 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
http://time.com/longform/portugal-drug-use-decriminalization/
Drugs should be legalized if governments seriously want to deal with the problem of addiction and the criminality that comes with addiction.

I doubt the U.S. (by and large) really wants to solve this problem. Who will they vilify and fill their prisons with?
The U.S. popular media always wants to blame others for their problems. They justify wars on other countries and imprison their own citizens based on false evidence.
But I am not blaming the popular media. We are all responsible in our own way for this state of affairs. we enable our media with our apathy.
We are content to let them dictate to us what is real. We are happy to live in ignorance under the conditions that are dictated to us by the powers that be.

Drug is use in and of itself by responsible and informed individuals is not a problem. The problem is the behaviour of drug fiends in a society that criminalizes individual freedoms.
The criminalization of drugs gives rise to dealers. It puts the production of drugs into the hands of amateurs who are trying to make a profit.

People turn to drugs because they are illegal.
Legalization should go hand in hand with education. This brings me to my next point: When the masses are brought up in such backward education systems such as the U.S. we have these problems with drug addicts.

After all how can we solve these problems if we are not educated?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
02 Aug 18

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel

I doubt the U.S. (by and large) really wants to solve this problem. Who will they vilify and fill their prisons with?
?
More anti US bile.

This is an area that has really seen some good progress recently with a number of states decriminalisng marijuana or taking an easier stance medical etc. Some US states are more liberal than Aus.

Do you need to turn every thread into a US hate fest, it's boring as shyte and you sound like shav.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
02 Aug 18
4 edits

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
Drugs should be legalized if governments seriously want to deal with the problem of addiction and the criminality that comes with addiction.

The U.S. popular media always wants to blame others for their problems. They justify wars ...[text shortened]... problems with drug addicts.

After all how can we solve these problems if we are not educated?
All drugs were legal in the USA until 1914. Until then, any person could buy cocaine or Morphine from any pharmacy; or even order it from a Sears catalog and they would ship it to you with syringes and all. Even Coke-a-cola soda was highly laced with cocaine until 1914 in the USA and 1936 in Canada. We did not have much problems with drug users until the far-right religious conservatives attempted to take over our country and push their views into law;and, they are still at it today. They even succeeded in making alcohol illegal during Prohibition in the 1930s. This is when all the crime and murders started over drug use in the USA. F-ing far- right supposed Christians cannot just mind their own damn bossiness, and are not happy until they are in everyone else's. It makes them feel like a god. They make me sick!

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
02 Aug 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @kingdavid403
All drugs were legal in the USA until 1914. Until then, any person could buy cocaine or Morphine from any pharmacy; or even order it from a Sears catalog and they would ship it to you with syringes and all. Even Coke-a-cola soda was highly laced with cocaine until 1914 in the USA and 1936 in Canada. We did not have much problems with drug users unt ...[text shortened]... not happy until they are in everyone else's. It makes them feel like a god. They make me sick!
Nice point kingdavid, and the same goes for the Left whingers too. Left and Right, they're just control freaks.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
02 Aug 18

Originally posted by @wajoma
Nice point kingdavid, and the same goes for the Left whingers too. Left and Right, they're just control freaks.
In many cases, yes I agree.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
02 Aug 18
1 edit

Drugs and drug use is not the problem.
The problem is people actively pushing drugs on kids; at dances and schoolyards.

The reason they push the drugs, is because the profit margins far outweigh rational thinking.

All drugs should be legalized, even if only to destroy the cartels which supply them.

Then you have drugs shops where you can go in and buy good quality drugs (minimizing overdosing, etc.), where there are educational leaflets (so people don’t drink too much water when using XTC, for example) and taxes are paid on said items... benefitting society.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
02 Aug 18
3 edits

Originally posted by @shavixmir
Drugs and drug use is not the problem.
The problem is people actively pushing drugs on kids; at dances and schoolyards.

The reason they push the drugs, is because the profit margins far outweigh rational thinking.

All drugs should be legalized, even if only to destroy the cartels which supply them.

Then you have drugs shops where you can go in a ...[text shortened]... much water when using XTC, for example) and taxes are paid on said items... benefitting society.
I agree with everything you said except: The problem is people actively pushing drugs on kids; at dances and schoolyards.
I've known many drug dealers throughout my life; even dabbled in it myself years back; I've never know any drug dealers that were pushing drugs on kids. Nor were drugs ever pushed on me while I attended public school or college. I was introduced to drugs by my school age peers; and,it was always my school aged peers that sold the drugs. From that point on, It was always I seeking the drugs I wanted to get high on and no one was pushing them on me. In fact, if one does not know the drug dealers that are selling, most likely none of them will sell it to you out of fear of being busted or set-up. That's just a myth pushed by the anti-drug far right to fill up prisons. Most drug dealers of hard drugs are only selling them to supply their own drug habits. There are a few exceptions.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
02 Aug 18

More anti US bile.

This is an area that has really seen some good progress recently with a number of states decriminalisng marijuana or taking an easier stance medical etc. Some US states are more liberal than Aus.

Do you need to turn every thread into a US hate fest, it's boring as shyte and you sound like shav.
Do you need to turn every thread into a lobotomy? I'll address any relevant questioins. None so far....

Moves
02 Aug 18

Yep.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
02 Aug 18

More anti US bile.

Sometimes the truth hurts skippy

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Aug 18

ndOriginally posted by @mchill
Legalizing all drugs would fly in the face of conservatives running for congress running with the law and order card, they would have to shift their agenda to actual problems like unemployment, housing for the poor, insurance for the poor and the like, god forbid they should run on stuff that actually affects the common folk.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
02 Aug 18

Originally posted by @mchill
You can't possible believe that ka's hateful rant was "truth," can you?

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
02 Aug 18

Originally posted by @sh76
You can't possible believe that ka's hateful rant was "truth," can you?
I was referring to wajoma's hateful rant

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
03 Aug 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
Legalizing all drugs would fly in the face of conservatives running for congress running with the law and order card, they would have to shift their agenda to actual problems like unemployment, housing for the poor, insurance for the poor and the like, god forbid they should run on stuff that actually affects the common folk.
Politicians will not change anything. Its upto the collective will. And unfortantely with all the misleading information, not to mention out and out lies being propagated by the popular media it seems the U.S. and others are destined to continue on this road of criminalizing people for doing nothing but exercising their personal,god-given freedoms.