1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 12:32
    http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/05/29/teen-punished-stopping-bullies-harassing-special-needs-girl

And she ends up getting punished! Great system we have here. The school officials said 'two wrongs don't make a right'.

Gads, that sucks.
  2. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 12:54
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/05/29/teen-punished-stopping-bullies-harassing-special-needs-girl

And she ends up getting punished! Great system we have here. The school officials said 'two wrongs don't make a right'.

Gads, that sucks.
    Of course, the lack of reaction from the school when the first bullying was reported is inexcusable. However, the article is very, very light on any details. What did she do to 'stand up to the bullies'? It's not hard to imagine a scenario where her actions went too far and punishment is justified even if it was done with the best of intentions.
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 13:46
    I am never clear on exactly what are the elements of bullying. In this article the alleged bullying is being mean to someone one who did not understand and then telling the person they could not sit in certain seats. If there is no compaint from the target is this so behavior so bad that the school district needs to act? It certainly seems that the girl who confronted the other kids did acts that were far worse.
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 13:52
    Originally posted by Barts
    Of course, the lack of reaction from the school when the first bullying was reported is inexcusable. However, the article is very, very light on any details. What did she do to 'stand up to the bullies'? It's not hard to imagine a scenario where her actions went too far and punishment is justified even if it was done with the best of intentions.
    There aren't complete details, but I would think that even if it was physical the punishment should be light when you take into account the details.

The fact that the original victim of bullying never officially complained is irrelevant - they rarely do. Especially if it is apparent that nothing is done to help.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 13:52
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It certainly seems that the girl who confronted the other kids did acts that were far worse.
    What were those acts specifically?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 14:07
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    The original bullies were seen by the bus driver punching the special needs girl in the face and pulling out clumps of hair, that seems pretty serious to me, and the driver did nothing.

I certainly would have done something if I was that driver, including reporting it to the school officials but apparently he did absolutely nothing. That is inexcusable in itself.

He could have at least stopped the violence, put the special needs kid in a seat closer to the front where he could better monitor the whole lot.

They never did say exactly what the other girl did in response.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 14:11
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I meant that she could have done worse acts. I have no idea what she did from this article.
  8. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 14:15
    The original bullies were seen by the bus driver punching the special needs girl in the face and pulling out clumps of hair, that seems pretty serious to me, and the driver did nothing.

I certainly would have done something if I was that driver, including reporting it to the school officials but apparently he did absolutely nothing. That is inexcusable ...[text shortened]... better monitor the whole lot.

That's not how I understood the article you posted. The incident involving punching and pulling out hair seems to be separate from this incident. This part of the article is prefaced with: "This is far from the first report of a teacher or bus driver turning a blind eye to bullying. ABC reports, "In one taped incident, [...]" There is nothing there to indicate that this is about the same girl of school.
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 14:15

I certainly would have done something if I was that driver, including reporting it to the school officials but apparently he did absolutely nothing. That is inexcusable ...[text shortened]... better monitor the whole lot.

To be fair, from the article that appears to be a separate incident introduced simply as an example of people in authority not doing something to stop bullying.

It does say in the article linked by the above that part of it was:

"They were giving her food that they put in their mouth. I actually had to tell her to spit it out because she didn't understand."

So it was more than just telling her that she couldn't sit in specific places.

That was my point. Quackquack said that it seemed to him that this girl's confrontation appeared to be worse than the original acts of bullying. I wanted to know what specific actions he was referring to. I guess he might have seen a different article that maybe he can post with more details that he apparently has.
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 14:16
    I meant that she could have done worse acts. I have no idea what she did from this article.
    Ok. That's definitely different than what you wrote.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 10:40
    I am never clear on exactly what are the elements of bullying. In this article the alleged bullying is being mean to someone one who did not understand and then telling the person they could not sit in certain seats. If there is no compaint from the target is this so behavior so bad that the school district needs to act? It certainly seems that the girl who confronted the other kids did acts that were far worse.
    if there is never a complaint from a dog or cat being mistreated, must the animal abuse people step in or not? if the victim is too embarrassed to report an incident, can nobody do anything about it?

" seems that the girl who confronted the other kids did acts that were far worse."
    she is 18, if she would have done much worse, police would have been involved

this type of behavior from officials makes it harder for good people to stand up for the weak. great people would still do what they feel is right and damn the consequences. it is really sad though that not only the weak aren't protected by people we chose to lead (and by definition serve and protect) but they are hindering other people to stand up for what is right
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 15:06
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    if there is never a complaint from a dog or cat being mistreated, must the animal abuse people step in or not? if the victim is too embarrassed to report an incident, can nobody do anything about it?

" seems that the girl who confronted the other kids did acts that were far worse."
    she is 18, if she would have done much worse, police would have been ...[text shortened]... finition serve and protect) but they are hindering other people to stand up for what is right
    I have no idea what they girl who wanted to prevent bullying actually said or did. Maybe she is wrongfully accused and this is a travesty. Maybe she threated to kill everyone one the bus. It seems plausible that she caused such a disruption that the bus driver who likely knew nothing of the alleged bullying (because he is actually driving a bus) could not drive safely and thus he threw her off the bus.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 02:23

Gads, that sucks.
    It's called public education. They need to train children to stick their tail between their legs and grin and bear it. That way they will learn to be good citizens for Big Brother as he bullies them and dictates to them what they should eat and drink and what doctor to see etc.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 05:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    It's called public education. They need to train children to stick their tail between their legs and grin and bear it. That way they will learn to be good citizens for Big Brother as he bullies them and dictates to them what they should eat and drink and what doctor to see etc.
    And then for them to be prematurely exposed to alcohol and tobacco for population control purposes.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 15:23
    How do you all feel about bullies getting it back in an organized way?

http://theweek.com/article/index/229391/the-texas-teacher-who-made-kindergartners-beat-up-a-bully

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree