1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 12:56
    lets imagine america was split in two, north and south. the north given to the democrats and the south the republicans (people can relocate to which side they want to live).

we then flash forward 100 years into the future. what would be the fate of these two nations? which would be the better country to live in?
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 13:00
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    lets imagine america was split in two, north and south. the north given to the democrats and the south the republicans (people can relocate to which side they want to live).

we then flash forward 100 years into the future. what would be the fate of these two nations? which would be the better country to live in?
    In the end, I doubt there would be much of a difference.
    In fact, my guess is that the biggest difference would be that, at least in the near future, the south would have much better college football teams.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 13:21

The north would become an eternal paradise. The south would crack off and fall into the ocean, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 13:38
    The most likely outcome would be reunification of the two Americas.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 16:31

Who gets south Florida?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 16:36
    Originally posted by sh76
    Who gets south Florida?
    George Zimmerman
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 16:46
    Originally posted by sh76
    Who gets south Florida?
    south florida is turned over to the disney corporation to continue their evil research into destroying the souls of children, without having to worry about silly little things like laws.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 16:47
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The most likely outcome would be reunification of the two Americas.
    aww thats kinda nice, like an old couple that hate each others guts, but hate everybody elses guts even more.
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 17:401 edit

Austin would be the West Berlin (i.e., an isolated part) of the North. The North could fly in food and clothing. Also secular books, science textbooks for the public schools, etc.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 18:331 edit

There are plenty of counter factual essays on what would have happened if the confederate south had successfully seceded from the union either peaceably or not. The ones I have seen suggest that European powers would have taken over one or both of the new nations in a short time.

"Given to" seems to be implying that the dissolution is peaceable or at least leads to peace. My feeling is that disruption in the infrastructure and interwoven relationships e.g., trade and business and finance, would make the new nations vulnerable to international pressures from China and Japan, more than from Europe. The north would be of more interest to foreign powers and would have to form alliances more than would the south. The south would have a big problem with undocumented immigrants, possibly leading to a DMZ.

The south also take a more isolationist stance than the north and would take a hard line on its domestic social issues, possibly leading to migration of persecuted groups to the north.

California might split in half.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 19:57
    Originally posted by JS357
    There are plenty of counter factual essays on what would have happened if the confederate south had successfully seceded from the union either peaceably or not. The ones I have seen suggest that European powers would have taken over one or both of the new nations in a short time.

"Given to" seems to be implying that the dissolution is peaceable or at least ...[text shortened]... bly leading to migration of persecuted groups to the north.

without the north would the south be able to keep a control over its religious urges. could they keep religion out of politics and science?
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 19:58
    Originally posted by JS357

"Given to" seems to be implying that the dissolution is peaceable or at least ...[text shortened]... bly leading to migration of persecuted groups to the north.

Jesusland doesn't want Los Angeles.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 20:22
    without the north would the south be able to keep a control over its religious urges. could they keep religion out of politics and science?
    I'd expect a constitutional convention to occur, form some sort of union (confederation?) or treaty alliance between the states. Whatever motivations led them to split from the north would obviously be stronger than they are now. Those motivations would define the union. Specifically, I'd expect the south to leave it to each state to define the role of religion in state governance and public education, although how the nation replaced the first amendment would be really important. What do you think?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 00:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 01:211 edit

All I know is that the left would never allow it. It would destroy them to know that their system was not the best. Competition is forbidden in leftist ideologies for that very reason. The only way it works is to make everyone on the face of the planet like themselves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree