hypothetical america

hypothetical america

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Aug 13

Originally posted by whodey
All I know is that the left would never allow it. It would destroy them to know that their system was not the best. Competition is forbidden in leftist ideologies for that very reason. The only way it works is to make everyone on the face of the planet like themselves.
do you really consider the democrats as lefties?

how do you explain the success of countries that are more to the left than your democrats?

Moves
10 Aug 13

Originally posted by JS357
I'd expect a constitutional convention to occur, form some sort of union (confederation?) or treaty alliance between the states. Whatever motivations led them to split from the north would obviously be stronger than they are now. Those motivations would define the union. Specifically, I'd expect the south to leave it to each state to define the role of religio ...[text shortened]... ough how the nation replaced the first amendment would be really important. What do you think?
im not sure. im aware that my view of america is totally warped by the type of media i watch. i know the american right cannot be made up entirely of the type of people we make fun of over hear (anne coulters, stupid hicks, creationists and so on). but i have no idea what the reality is. would the north and south both end up becoming the stereotypical images of themselves or in truth is there really not much difference between them?

d

Moves
11 Aug 13

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I saw that film. It was one of a few films that turned me off of satire.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
11 Aug 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
lets imagine america was split in two, north and south. the north given to the democrats and the south the republicans (people can relocate to which side they want to live).

we then flash forward 100 years into the future. what would be the fate of these two nations? which would be the better country to live in?
The northern President would declare the Southern Republicans to be secessionist criminals, and wage war, and after wining declare a "living wage" to be the reason for 3 million American deaths, and nuclear annihilation of most American cities.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
11 Aug 13

Originally posted by JS357
There are plenty of counter factual essays on what would have happened if the confederate south had successfully seceded from the union either peaceably or not. The ones I have seen suggest that European powers would have taken over one or both of the new nations in a short time.

"Given to" seems to be implying that the dissolution is peaceable or at least ...[text shortened]... bly leading to migration of persecuted groups to the north.

California might split in half.
Would the entire north come to resemble Detroit?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
11 Aug 13

without the north would the south be able to keep a control over its religious urges. could they keep religion out of politics and science?
At the founding, New England was the epicenter of religious zealotry.

e
Adepto 'er perfectu

Moves
14 Aug 13

lets imagine america was split in two, north and south. the north given to the democrats and the south the republicans (people can relocate to which side they want to live).

we then flash forward 100 years into the future. what would be the fate of these two nations? which would be the better country to live in?
it wouldn't be america anymore if it split in two
therefore, neither country would be anything i could identify with
playing with a hypothetical civil war isn't pleasant, or productive