1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 14:19
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I missed a point, and I'll just come out and say it - physically, it's a harder life. Mentally - it's much easier. And with what you said, I think you do understand.

With respect to your question - I really do believe that government does not a bad, but an awful, job, at most things it tries its hand at. Desert Storm was a good example of a good president knowing what was feasible, but the prevailing wisdom at the time - we all said it to ourselves - was, "We'll be back..." - because Saddam wasn't ousted the first time. I started out ready to go the second time, but a couple of things soured me: the lies stated for why we were going to war, the ease with which Bush allowed people to support the war (there was no national commitment, nor a shared sacrifice); and the mission creep.

That's a long-winded way of explaining that while my heart is in the endeavor, mentally, I'm conflicted about national obligation, especially with so many dilettante politicians who never served so eager to offer up the lives of young Americans to enhance their greatness. Bush, it was said, cried many times when notified that another soldier's life had been lost.

I suppose I don't have a clean, out-of-the-box answer for you.
  2. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 14:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    The way things are now I think it would be hard to know you are doing "good". I can understand defending your own country and home but to go out and tinker with regime change and nation rebuilding is a grotesque use of power. Then when ambassadors start being murdered and regimes turning into Isamic fundamentalist monsters for your trouble you start to question the sanity of it all.
    Your point is not without merit. Bush certainly displayed an expeditionary zeal. I myself decided to let my contract expire not just because of the nonsense I saw at the political level, but at the unit level. I recall writing my Congressman at the time, Rob Andrews, whom I did not know well but knew, asking him to explain to me why I should reenlist. His answer was unsatisfying, and I left. With sadness.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 21:342 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 03:59
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    I don't know that this OP is going to engender a great deal of discussion, but anyway...

I miss the life. I do. I miss it alot. Money's fine, house, car...there's nothing like the brotherhood.

To us and those like us. Damn few left.
    Yes thank you for your service. I am sure we would have way too much beer around had there been 1 less person in the military.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 04:29
    I don't know that this OP is going to engender a great deal of discussion, but anyway...

I miss the life. I do. I miss it alot. Money's fine, house, car...there's nothing like the brotherhood.

To us and those like us. Damn few left.
    So do I.

And you can imagine how much I'd miss it if I'd actually been in it to begin with!
  6. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 07:00
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Yes thank you for your service. I am sure we would have way too much beer around had there been 1 less person in the military.
    Maybe sometime we'll get to crack one. More ways to be a good American than wearing a uniform. I'm sure you're doing it.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 07:321 edit
    I Miss The Military
    When I was about 17 there was some talk in my family about me joining the military - it was my dad mainly. I was good at sports, especially rugby and judo, I was a member of a rifle club, I was a student leader, and was in fact quite interested in military matters. I thought about it. Didn't happen though. My dad may have been disappointed but he soon forgot about it. I have no regrets about not taking that route in life.
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 10:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    When I was about 17 there was some talk in my family about me joining the military - it was my dad mainly. I was good at sports, especially rugby and judo, I was a member of a rifle club, I was a student leader, and was in fact quite interested in military matters. I thought about it. Didn't happen though. My dad may have been disappointed but he soon forgot about it. I have no regrets about not taking that route in life.
    "Alas ,twas a great loss " to the British army catering core .
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 11:01
    Originally posted by phil3000
    "Alas ,twas a great loss " to the British army catering core .
    The catering corps was not the kind of army career I would have been interested in when I was 17 or 18.
  10. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 11:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    The catering corps was not the kind of army career I would have been interested in when I was 17 or 18.
    Parachute regiment ,Royal marines ,mountain and arctic warfare cadre leading on to the sas or sbs ? or was it straight to Sandhurst ?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 11:20
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Parachute regiment ,Royal marines ,mountain and arctic warfare cadre leading on to the sas or sbs ? or was it straight to Sandhurst ?
    I don't know. But it wouldn't have been catering corps.
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 21:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    My grandmother said she'd break my legs if I ever decided to join the Marines. By that time she had been married to a Marine for over 30 years.
  13. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 22:01
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    My grandmother said she'd break my legs if I ever decided to join the Marines. By that time she had been married to a Marine for over 30 years.
    I suppose it must be tough if a woman was married to a soldier or a cop.

Difficult to know if you'll be home that night for dinner.

I would have a lot of time for people who decided to take either job.

It's certainly not easy.
  14. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 22:02
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    You wouldn't have fit in. As a rule, we did not cow to the threats of old women.
  15. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 22:46
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    I suppose it must be tough if a woman was married to a soldier or a cop.

Difficult to know if you'll be home that night for dinner.

I would have a lot of time for people who decided to take either job.

It's certainly not easy.
    Heh. That is not the reason my grandmother didn't want another Marine in the family. It had more to do with her husband's military mentality in all things, and in particular his seeming assumption that he could run a family like he could a platoon. He even had "poop sheets" that choreographed every vacation down to the hour. It drove my grandmother absolutely crazy.

Sasquatch: putting aside your cornball attempt at a put-down, you should know I was never, ever tempted to join the military. I know this thread is your invitation for everyone to come kiss your ass and throw rose petals in your path, but you already know I'm lousy at taking orders of either the explicit or implicit variety.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree