1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 17:37
    What would the DM be worth these days (relative to the euro). Would it go up 50%? 100%? What would that do to German exports?

Is Germany condemned to stick with the euro and to bailing out EU members because of fear of destroying its own export industry?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 18:15
    Originally posted by sh76
    What would the DM be worth these days (relative to the euro). Would it go up 50%? 100%? What would that do to German exports?

Is Germany condemned to stick with the euro and to bailing out EU members because of fear of destroying its own export industry?
    That's how the US works. Some states get annual bailout/welfare checks taken from the other states.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 18:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    That's how the US works. Some states get annual bailout/welfare checks taken from the other states.
    Sorry, not biting.

This is about Germany and Greece (etc.), not California and Mississippi.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 18:40
    Sorry, not biting.

But can't we talk about what Ron Paul would do instead?🙄
  5. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 18:46
    Ron Paul would spank Mississippi until until they capitulated.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 18:54
    I think such a move would destabilize the European economy as a whole, including Germany's, because they'd have more trade barriers.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 19:411 edit

I just wonder if they are thankful they did not take over the entire European continent in the mid 20th century. According to my estimations it saved them trillions!!
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 19:451 edit
    Now this is just sad. Sh76 is obviously trying to start a debate that does not involve US egocentronarcissistic overtones and you had to muddy it up by asking what the US would do?

Just for the record, no one in the US is interested in what Ron would do. They are all too busy worshipping at the Romney/Obama orfical ideologies. 😛
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 19:50
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Ron Paul would spank Mississippi until until they capitulated.
    Or until they would say, "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
  10. England
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 15:26
    come over germany join the pound bail us out instead
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 15:33
    Sorry, not biting.

why? it's a relevant comparison.

in fact the USA is pretty much the only viable comparison to the Eurozone.
    And highlights what is wrong with the way the Euro was set up.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 15:35
    Germany wouldn't abandon the Euro. A smaller eurozone is a possibility, but it would most likely include the major trade partners of Germany (France, Netherlands).
  13. Germany
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 15:38
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    why? it's a relevant comparison.

in fact the USA is pretty much the only viable comparison to the Eurozone.
    And highlights what is wrong with the way the Euro was set up.
    In essence Germany and France brought this upon themselves. Rules were agreed on budget deficits, public debt etc. to ensure the stability of the euro. But France and Germany did not comply so they made sure the enforcement of the stability rules was loose at best and non-existent at worst. This resulted in economies who were even weaker than France and Germany building up huge debts without the ECB or EU interfering... before it was already too late.
  14. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 15:45
    I think such a move would destabilize the European economy as a whole, including Germany's, because they'd have more trade barriers.
    They would have equal trade barriers if they stayed in the EU.

I reckon there would be about 5DM's to a Euro - but it is not really possible to even guess.

German goods are relatively expensive anyway so a little more might not make that much difference.

But ultimately Germany won't leave the Euro.

The Eurozone may fracture into 2 currencies.
    Alternatively the ECB could print loads of money which would be inflationary and German goods would again be more expensive.

Which ever way you look at it - prices will be rising faster than earnings for some time to come in Europe.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 15:57
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    In essence Germany and France brought this upon themselves. Rules were agreed on budget deficits, public debt etc. to ensure the stability of the euro. But France and Germany did not comply so they made sure the enforcement of the stability rules was loose at best and non-existent at worst. This resulted in economies who were even weaker than France and ...[text shortened]... many building up huge debts without the ECB or EU interfering... before it was already too late.
    Indeed, however this doesn't invalidate my point that the only comparable economic situation on the
    planet with which to compare and contrast the Euro is the USD.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree