2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 13:37
    Originally posted by JS357
    Can't vouch for factulaity, but seems reasonable:

https://www.facebook.com/GOODHQ/videos/10153453652588059/
    The most amazing stat there is that 75% of people have mobile phones whereas only 7% make more than $50/day.

Tells you a lot about the price of a mobile phone.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 13:53
    Originally posted by sh76
    A basic mobile phone can be easily obtained for free. Note that the video gives a much higher figure for 'internet access' than 'has a mobile phone' suggesting that most phones are not smart phones.

On the other hand my maid has a smart phone (given to her by anther employer) and I do not. Its a weird world.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 14:27
    The most amazing stat there is that 75% of people have mobile phones whereas only 7% make more than $50/day.

Smart phones are virtually free or low cost. Rates aren't much different or not different at all for dumb phones.

Almost nobody has a home phone anymore, or an answering machine. The kids all have smart phones. Prices are way down and dropping. There are family plans with most carriers, and there really isn't a need for the old home phone.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 15:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    A basic mobile phone can be easily obtained for free. Note that the video gives a much higher figure for 'internet access' than 'has a mobile phone' suggesting that most phones are not smart phones.

On the other hand my maid has a smart phone (given to her by anther employer) and I do not. Its a weird world.
    OTOH, you have a maid.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 16:451 edit
    Also, that 1% earning $90+/day must include all people, including children and elderly non-workers. $90 for a full day of work is basically minimum wage in the US and I'm sure in many western countries.

I have 4 kids. They earn nothing (they go to primary school). Do they count in that large number of people earning nothing? That's a little misleading.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 18:59
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Smart phones are virtually free or low cost. Rates aren't much different or not different at all for dumb phones.

Almost nobody has a home phone anymore, or an answering machine. The kids all have smart phones. Prices are way down and dropping. There are family plans with most carriers, and there really isn't a need for the old home phone.
    What about fax machines? Don't you need a land line for those, or are they wi-fi now too? You can probably tell that I'm on the trailing edge of new technology.... :-)
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 19:07
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    What about fax machines? Don't you need a land line for those, or are they wi-fi now too? You can probably tell that I'm on the trailing edge of new technology.... :-)
    Most people use a scanner and e-mail to send documents now.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 19:39
    $90 for a full day of work is basically minimum wage in the US and I'm sure in many western countries.
    Does the adult, working age, western world constitute 1% of the worlds population, or did the video get the stats wrong?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 19:44
    Fax machines are pretty rare nowadays.

I have a land line because my internet is ADSL which relies on a line and I pay a tiny bit extra to have voice as well. Landline calls are still cheaper than cell phone so I do use it occasionally. Some suburbs are now getting optic fibre which will not only provide faster internet but also voice calls. So it will still be a fixed line system, just optic fibre instead of copper.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 19:50
    What's a fax machine?
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 22:56
    Fax machines require a land line, but they are antiquated technology. Documents can be sent as internet attachments much faster, and more securely.

You could send a book sized document in a few minutes, and it doesn't even have to be printed. I can be viewed by anyone on the recipient's network.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 22:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Does the adult, working age, western world constitute 1% of the worlds population, or did the video get the stats wrong?
    Obviously, both wages and cost of living, as well as living standards differ widely depending on where you are on the planet.

Skills of "average workers" also differ wildly.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 23:00
    What's a fax machine?
    Those of us in large US metropolises are sometime ignorant of how far behind flyover country is. 😀
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 06:20
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Most people use a scanner and e-mail to send documents now.
    A scanner??
    So 90's!
    We just take a photo with our phones and app it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree