1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 04:06
    Yep, after Americans endured the worst attack from terrorism on American soil since 9/11, there has been no violent retaliation to other US Muslims.

Won't you join me and celebrating American tolerance, the best in the world I've seen thus far!! 😵
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 05:012 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yep, after Americans endured the worst attack from terrorism on American soil since 9/11, there has been no violent retaliation to other US Muslims.

Won't you join me and celebrating American tolerance, the best in the world I've seen thus far!! 😵
    None? I think you are misinformed—though I am glad that you would proudly stand up for American Muslims. A mosque in the town near where I lived for many years was firebombed by people associated with the Christian Identity movement. Some local Christians offered church space for their Muslim neighbors to hold prayers while they rebuilt. I’m sure that’s the kind of thing you’re thinking of. I’m sure that you’re also speaking for your American Muslim friends.

EDIT:

Oh, yes. I’m proud of my fellow Americans when they stand up against bigotry and intolerance, not so much when they don’t. I’m proud of myself when I do, not so much when I don’t. How about you?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 05:31
    Originally posted by vistesd
    None? I think you are misinformed—though I am glad that you would proudly stand up for American Muslims. A mosque in the town near where I lived for many years was firebombed by people associated with the Christian Identity movement. Some local Christians offered church space for their Muslim neighbors to hold prayers while they rebuilt. I’m sure that’s ...[text shortened]... much when they don’t. I’m proud of myself when I do, not so much when I don’t. How about you?
    Anyone hurt in the bombing?
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 05:50
    Anyone hurt in the bombing?
    I don't think so, luckily (or “inshallah!” ). It’s been some years, but that’s my recollection. That has not always been the case, though the numbers are relatively low I think (in terms of victims of physical violence in the US against US Muslims).

But I do think that we need to carry that pride that you’re speaking of forward. (I think of the use of “I’m proud that __________” as a phrase in the American South where I lived for about 25 years. In that usage, I might say, “I’m proud that she did that!”—even though it isn’t anything that I was involved with at all.)

The only way to carry that forward is to stand against any bigotry. To not allow ourselves to succumb to it. I know that’s terribly general—but the OP is pretty general, too.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 10:17
    So, are you like Irish American, Italian American?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 12:321 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I don't think so, luckily (or “inshallah!” ). It’s been some years, but that’s my recollection. .
    It's been some years?
    OP was talking about recent events and the fact there's been no counteracts of violence, not something that happened years ago.
    Why don't you bring up the crusades while you're at it?
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 12:38
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    It's been some years?
    OP was talking about recent events and the fact there's been no counteracts of violence, not something that happened years ago.
    Why don't you bring up the crusades while you're at it?
    Charming. The usual suspects arriving. #NotAllAmericans
  8. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 12:41
    police r advising "don't walk around ur house with a gun, police might mistake u for the 3rd shooter." #onlyinamerica time 4 gun control?

This works on so many levels for me.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 13:00

Does vandalizing mosques and making death threats count?

After Paris: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/12/01/3726648/islamophobia-since-paris/

In the few days since San Bernardino: Overnight on Friday, vandals broke all the windows at the Islamic Center of Palm Beach in Florida, turned over furniture in the prayer room and left bloody stains throughout the facility. The F.B.I. is investigating death threats left by voice mail at a mosque in Manassas, Va.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/us/muslims-in-america-condemn-extremists-and-fear-anew-for-their-lives.html?_r=0
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 13:48

Sarcasm I take it?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 14:431 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Sarcasm I take it?
    Not at all. The notion of rendering evil for evil is childish, and looking at the Middle East, completely counterproductive. If I want a childish tit for tat exchange I'll either turn on the news covering the Middle East or the Three Stooges.

American culture seems to have adopted a more "turn the cheek" culture, which I attribute to the influence of Christianity.

Essentially, you take a moral high ground and refuse to lower yourself to your opponents standards. For example, if someone kills a bunch of people, you don't then go and kill a bunch of their people in retaliation, thus making your moral position the same, or perhaps worse, than the people you are fighting. Over time, the weight of your higher moral ground will eventually crush your opponent to bits.

MLK and Ghandi both studied the life of Christ and adopted his approach with great success. Shrug, it works.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 16:52
    Not at all. The notion of rendering evil for evil is childish, and looking at the Middle East, completely counterproductive. If I want a childish tit for tat exchange I'll either turn on the news covering the Middle East or the Three Stooges.

American culture seems to have adopted a more "turn the cheek" culture, which I attribute to the influence of Chr ...[text shortened]... i both studied the life of Christ and adopted his approach with great success. Shrug, it works.
    Are there any history books at your house?
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 17:51
    American culture seems to have adopted a more "turn the cheek" culture, which I attribute to the influence of Christianity.
    Oh, yeah, that explains the murder of several tens of thousands of civilians in Iraq, a country which had nothing to do with 9/11 at all.

Christianity is dead in the English-speaking world.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 21:12
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Oh, yeah, that explains the murder of several tens of thousands of civilians in Iraq, a country which had nothing to do with 9/11 at all.

Christianity is dead in the English-speaking world.
    The US military is Christian?

Why is it when Christians want to pray in schools America is secular but then they bomb countries they become Christian?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree