1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 14:59
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Since the US Constitution says nothing about homosexuality, surely in this case you can do things how you like and therefore it's a matter for the legislature?
    Well, not really.

The Constitution doesn't reference homosexuality per se.

But the "equal protection" and "due process" clauses could be used as justification for requiring states to recognize gay rights generally and gay marriage specifically.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 15:18
    Originally posted by sh76
    Constitutions can't enlarge rights?

What about those states that state in their Constitutions that a public education is the right of every child? Isn't that enlarging their rights? I mean, surely the right to a public education is not a natural right?
    Anyone can say anything is a right. That doesn't make it so.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 15:31
    Originally posted by sh76
    In Europe you can do things however you like. In the US, our government is based on a Constitution.

Assuming the US Constitution is not amended, it becomes very dicey when you start making up new rules and pretend that they are mandated by the Constitution.

Ergo, case law is relevant.
    Well, for all your chest pounding regarding the US constitution, you also don't seem to care that much about what it says if you also think this video speaks louder than constitutional law history.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 16:09
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Well, for all your chest pounding regarding the US constitution, you also don't seem to care that much about what it says if you also think this video speaks louder than constitutional law history.
    I'm sorry if I took a little poetic license.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Mar '11 16:10
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Anyone can say anything is a right. That doesn't make it so.
    Can't government grant additional rights that are not included in "natural" rights?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree