10 Dec '11 23:541 edit
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16098562

Significance?
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 21:12
    It is very significant.

Not only does Iran have American technology to learn from, they also have grounded most of the UAVs until the USA military can modify the UAVs to make it harder for the Iranians to hack them. I'm not sure how long that will take but this is a huge victory for Iran.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 00:18
    What I understand probably happened is they jammed the receiver electronically so it went into autopilot. Then they sent it false GPS data so it thought it was going back to it's own base.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 00:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What I understand probably happened is they jammed the receiver electronically so it went into autopilot. Then they sent it false GPS data so it thought it was going back to it's own base.
    I believe the jamming part is plausible, but I doubt Iran is so sophisticated they can feed it false data. Those signals have incredible encryption.

We'll never know for sure what happened since all that information is likely top secret.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 01:31
    This is where I got my info:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/1215/Exclusive-Iran-hijacked-US-drone-says-Iranian-engineer-Video
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 14:091 edit
    This is where I got my info:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/1215/Exclusive-Iran-hijacked-US-drone-says-Iranian-engineer-Video
    They could just as easily be trying to spoof the US, making Iranian technology look much better than it really is. I think what really happened is the plane malfunctioned in some normal way, computer died or some such. Or even the Iranians spotting it and snagging it with a net hung from a helicopter. That is not to take away from possible technology developed in Iran but in this case I think it is a spoof. The problem with such a spoof is it may backfire on them when the science boys figure out how to make the planes even harder to hack and even that much more stealthy.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 19:322 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    They could just as easily be trying to spoof the US, making Iranian technology look much better than it really is. I think what really happened is the plane malfunctioned in some normal way, computer died or some such. Or even the Iranians spotting it and snagging it with a net hung from a helicopter. That is not to take away from possible technology develo ...[text shortened]... nce boys figure out how to make the planes even harder to hack and even that much more stealthy.
    nope, its not the first time an American drone has flew into Iranian airspace,
    apparently it was on a mission in Afghanistan and just happened to fly into Iranian
    airspace, awesome to see the operatives falling over themselves, at first denying it
    and then poor ol Obama, meekly having to ask for it back, pretty please!. how did they
    hack it?

http://rt.com/usa/news/iran-drone-hack-stealth-943/

The stealth capabilities come from its design and material, not its software.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 19:49
    Maybe it's a Trojan Horse. A squad of midget commandos may be in Iran right now wreaking havok at knee level where tall people never look.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 19:551 edit
    Maybe it's a Trojan Horse. A squad of midget commandos may be in Iran right now wreaking havok at knee level where tall people never look.
    nah i think its a bit more serious than that, after all, you did violate a sovereign states
    air space which can be construed as an act of war! and apparently will continue to do
    so!
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 20:043 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    nah i think its a bit more serious than that, after all, you did violate a sovereign states
    air space which can be construed as an act of war! and apparently will continue to do
    so!
    We've been doing that since before I was born. It's an act of war only for the purposes of rhetoric.

EDIT - Are we at war with Pakistan? We've done a whole lot more violating of airspace over there than this.

Also,

Now this engineer’s account of how Iran took over one of America’s most sophisticated drones suggests Tehran has found a way to hit back. The techniques were developed from reverse-engineering several less sophisticated American drones captured or shot down in recent years, the engineer says

This wasn't the first time.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 23:06
    We've been doing that since before I was born. It's an act of war only for the purposes of rhetoric.

EDIT - Are we at war with Pakistan? We've done a whole lot more violating of airspace over there than this.

Also,

Now thi ...[text shortened]... tured or shot down in recent years
    , the engineer says

This wasn't the first time.[/b]
    Are we at war with Pakistan? We've done a whole lot more violating of airspace over there than this?

you recently killed 24 Pakistani nationals at a checkpoint, soldiers and said sorry, well
    gee thanks America!
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 23:433 edits
    Are we at war with Pakistan? We've done a whole lot more violating of airspace over there than this?

you recently killed 24 Pakistani nationals at a checkpoint, soldiers and said sorry, well
    gee thanks America!
    NATO (maybe US maybe not) responding to an Afghani request for fire support killed those people.

They could have been British planes (and therefore Scotland's responsibility) you know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10944465
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 00:28

gee thanks America!
    Well don't forget America is the reason you don't have to go Sieg heil and speak German.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 00:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well don't forget America is the reason you don't have to go Sieg heil and speak German.
    I am blonde haired and blue eyed, what would i have to fear from the Nasiz other than
    my religious convictions which forbid the hailing of Hitler, i didn't know speaking
    German was a crime and anyway what has your post got to do with anything??
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 00:42
    NATO (maybe US maybe not) responding to an Afghani request for fire support killed those people.

They could have been British planes (and therefore Scotland's responsibility) you know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10944465
    I dont care who it was, your getting the blame!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree