Is any American reaction called for in Syria after the chemical attack

Is any American reaction called for in Syria after the chemical attack

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
11 Apr 18

The post that was quoted here has been removed
When all else fails, go as hominem.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Apr 18

Of course you are shamelessly lying as usual; in no way have I "bestowed moral congratulations" on the US for paying damages. The rest of the post is your usual attempts at personalizing these matter by ridiculous attacks; the report I cited was sharply critical of the Vincennes' actions and my posts cannot possibly be considered anything but in agreement with that judgment.

Me as a US "flag waver" is one of your more stupid claims (and that is saying something).

D

Moves
11 Apr 18
1 edit

D

Moves
11 Apr 18
1 edit

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
11 Apr 18

Originally posted by @no1marauder
No US sailor received decorations or promotions for the shooting down of Flight 655. Having seen video of the USS Vincennes' CIC directly after the incident, I can attest that those on board were horrified when they realized they had shot down a civilian airliner.

The incident was partially a result of over-aggressiveness' by the Captain of the Vinc ...[text shortened]... iencies but I don't think it's fair to suggest the crew callously shot down a civilian airliner.
Well, okay, he received an award, despite causing an international crisis and murdering 200+ civilians...

Yeah, makes the gesture so much more acceptable.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
11 Apr 18
2 edits

I have to admit to being seriously worried over the whole Syria-chemical thing.

Don’t get me wrong: Assad is not a nice person, but looking ar the world’s political leaders... who the hell is?
And worse is Putin. The man’s as mental as a former KGB-officer with a psychotic lack of manners. Oh. That is what he is? Well. There you go!

But this chemical poisoning in Britain of a former spy... that story is just so dubious that I’m irked by it. If you want to kill someone, why not just bloody shoot them?
It doesn’t make sense.

And the fall-out over it is so exaggerated! Leaving in its wake a whole new level of anti-Russian sentiment.
Perhaps, it’s like critique of Israel though; that’s anti-semitism we’re led to believe... perhaps this is not political, but anti-Slav.

So then Assad supposedly uses chemical weapons which target civilians in a war he’s already starting to win.
Why on Earth would he do that?
It doesn’t make sense.

Are there any objective reports on the incident yet?
Is there independant verification that Syria has stockpiles of chemical weapons? If so, does the regime still have control over them?

I find it all rather coincidental that it’s all coinciding with this massive anti-Russian propaganda we’re being forced to witness.

As I said: I like neither regime (don’t much care for the US’s or British politics either, mind you), but I’m getting a nagging feeling we’re not receiving a full enough picture to actually make an educated choice on which side of this debate we should stand.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Apr 18

You can't tell much then.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Apr 18

Originally posted by @shavixmir
Well, okay, he received an award, despite causing an international crisis and murdering 200+ civilians...

Yeah, makes the gesture so much more acceptable.
In the end, he was stripped of command and forced to retire prematurely.

A court martial would have been better, but any suggestion the Navy rewarded him for the shooting down of the civilian airliner is simply false.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
11 Apr 18

In the end, he was stripped of command and forced to retire prematurely.

A court martial would have been better, but any suggestion the Navy rewarded him for the shooting down of the civilian airliner is simply false.
If it looks like a duck, squeals like a duck...

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Apr 18

A remarkable day. It started with the President of the United States announcing his intention to attack another country on Twitter with something that sounded like it was written by Bart Simpson:

Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/984022625440747520

Then in the afternoon the Secretary of Defense was asked by a reporter "Mr. Secretary, have you seen enough evidence to blame the Assad regime for this most recent chemical attack? Have you seen evidence, confident to make that assumption?"

His reply:

Mattis: “We’re still assessing the intelligence, ourselves and our allies. We’re still working on this,”

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/382673-mattis-us-still-assessing-suspected-syria-chemical-weapons-attack

I really don't know what to add.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Apr 18

A remarkable day. It started with the President of the United
States announcing his intention to attack another country on Twitter.
Mattis: “We’re still assessing the intelligence, ourselves and our
allies. We’re still working on this,”
Well obviously Trump doesn't share his intel with his Secretary of Defense!

D

Moves
12 Apr 18
2 edits

D

Moves
13 Apr 18

D

Moves
13 Apr 18

Moves
13 Apr 18