1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 02:532 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Your never ending ridiculous personalizing of every thread is tiresome.

I stand by my comments; even your Newsweek article concedes that command of the Vincennes, one of the most advanced ships in the Navy at the time, was a prestigious assignment:

In 1987, Rogers won command of the navy's most prized high-tech hip, an Aegis cruiser. The billion-dollar Vincennes seemed a sure ticket to flag rank.

http://www.newsweek.com/sea-lies-200118

Rogers wasn't even 50 at the time; if such a command had been finished successfully it is not unreasonable to imagine he would have been a flag officer in a short time. Instead, he was sent to a desk job and retired after a few years. Perhaps you have trouble reading between the lines (no doubt your biases severely affect your ability to do so), but I don't. Captains in the US Navy rarely retire in their early 50s unless their chances of promotion to flag status is remote. Since Rogers' career had been exemplary up until the shootdown, the available evidence strongly suggests that the incident had a very negative effect on his career.

Since I already said he should have been court martial-ed, your idea in this post that I am some sort of cheerleader for him shows the extent of your psychosis, but little else. My main point was simply that you are grievously wrong to try to claim that Capt Rogers or any member of the Vincennes crew was rewarded for the shootdown; I think that it beyond question based on the evidence that your claim is dead wrong though an omission of error from you seems to be psychologically impossible.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 02:591 edit
    Maybe you could explain the difference between a "falsehood" and a "lie" in this context.

I already provided a lengthy analysis which disagrees with several of the initial Navy claims. Perhaps you did not bother to read it since you prefer to instead assume that I took a position I did not (a common occurrence in your posts). You may study it now and retract your absurd accusations after doing so.https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronautics-and-astronautics/16-422-human-supervisory-control-of-automated-systems-spring-2004/projects/vincennes.pdf

I would also add that Captain Carlson of the USS Sides (which was approximately 18 miles away from the Vincennes at the time and under its tactical command) wrote a scathing letter to the US Naval Institute's magazine barely a year after the incident challenging virtually all the brass' and politician's excuses to justify the shootdown. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-09-08/news/8901110246_1_vincennes-attack-by-iranian-gunboats-iranian-airbus
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 04:431 edit
    Honestly, I am not happy with the tweet that Pres. Trump sent about the "smart" missiles at all.

"Gas Killing Animal," lol, what? That was silly.

This was bad posturing. This was not the right way to go about this at all. And attacking Syria is the 100% wrong decision at this moment.

I do still support Pres. Trump on a variety of things but this was upsetting. I appreciated the analysis from Marauder that it sounded like ti was written by Bart Simpson, lol.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 05:591 edit
    No thoughtful observer would take seriously US claims to be morally principled in the Middle East.

Translation: No matter what the USA does or does not do regarding Syria, Duchess will be against it. 😴
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 19:251 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 19:36
    3 bad men...doing bad things.
    Are you truly surprised?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 19:371 edit

8. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 19:391 edit

9. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 19:512 edits

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '18 20:131 edit

11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Apr '18 02:56
    To try to alleviate your ignorance and confusion, I suggest you read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Action_Ribbon

The sailors on board the USS Vincennes were awarded Combat Action Ribbons because they "actively participated in .......... surface combat." with the Iranian gunboats (as one sided as that combat might have been). Shooting down an unarmed airliner would not qualify one for a CAR.

Commander Lustig won the Navy's Commendation Medal for his actions during the surface engagement as well:

Lustig, the Vincennes's weapons officer on that day, was given two Navy commendation medals -- one for his four years of service on the Aegis cruiser, the other for his role in the surface skirmish.

The Navy praised Lustig for "heroic achievement" in connection with firing on the seven Iranian boats and lauded his "meritorious service" as weapons and combat systems officer from 1984-88.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1990/04/23/2-vincennes-officers-get-medals/cf383f02-05ce-435b-9086-5d61de569ed8/?utm_term=.820dea969225

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree