1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 00:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15809742

A US university has suspended two campus police officers over the use of pepper spray on students at a peaceful protest on Friday in support of the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Video of the incident shows police blasting seated protesters in the face with the chemical at close range.

The chancellor of t ...[text shortened]... rnia, Davis, who had called in the police, criticised the use of pepper spray on the protesters.
    FMF - what is remarkable is the students' restraint during the incident and after. The Chancelor walked through a gauntlet of about a thousand students in the aftermath, and stayed dead silent for two minutes as she walked to her car. You can hear her shoes on the pavement, nothing else. Only the reporters broke the magic of the moment.

As a former substitute teacher, I think the fact that 1000 students kept so quiet is nothing short of a miracle!

Both videos through this link.

http://kunsoo1024.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/the-new-generation-of-activists-has-arrived/#comment-60330
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 21:24
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Yes. Pepper spray is enough to cause a attacking grizzly bear to backoff.
    I want to be there to watch that one. 😀
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 21:39
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I have been pepper sprayed, once (not by the police, but by a robber). It is quite painful but it did not do any lasting damage. It was quite funny because apparently cops have to do this to themselves as part of their training (so they know what it's like and won't use it lightly) so they were all very empathic when I arrived at the police station. Is ...[text shortened]... credible threat or can be contained with less violent means) then it is torture, I would say.
    It is about escalation of force principles, whether it is cops or robbers. The robber could have ordered you to give up your money, if you didn't comply produce a gun, and if you still resisted shot you to death. Cops have similar progressions, usually through a variety of LTL means, before resorting to a side arm, unless the situation calls immediately for use of deadly force.

I tend to agree with your assessment that any weapon could be used as torture, or no weapon. Interrogation, continuous over long periods of time could be torturous, without any physical violence or tools.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 21:40
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Wow. I just had a BRILLIANT idea!

GUARD SKUNKS! I'll be rich!
    I want to see you get them to stay on duty in a thunderstorm. 😀
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 00:251 edit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I want to be there to watch that one. 😀
    Not me. I'll wait for the movie to come out.😀
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 19:03
    Nature's pepper spray is cobra venom.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 19:10
    I wonder if a skunk could beat a spitting cobra in a fight.
  8. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 19:12
    Nature's pepper spray is cobra venom.
    Exactly, cops should carry live snakes to release on criminals.
  9. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 19:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15809742

A US university has suspended two campus police officers over the use of pepper spray on students at a peaceful protest on Friday in support of the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Video of the incident shows police blasting seated protesters in the face with the chemical at close range.

The chancellor of t ...[text shortened]... rnia, Davis, who had called in the police, criticised the use of pepper spray on the protesters.
    What would have been the proper way to remove the protestors, I wonder. Did the university chancellor have a better way?
  10. Standard memberWoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    Los Gatos, CA
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 19:22
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    FMF - what is remarkable is the students' restraint during the incident and after. The Chancelor walked through a gauntlet of about a thousand students in the aftermath, and stayed dead silent for two minutes as she walked to her car. You can hear her shoes on the pavement, nothing else. Only the reporters broke the magic of the moment.

As a former subs ...[text shortened]... ute teacher, I think the fact that 1000 students kept so quiet is nothing short of a miracle!
    The fact this group stayed absolutely silent throughout seems to me to argue against what the press is saying that this is a leaderless movement with no plan or agenda.

How do hundreds of students stay absolutely silent without leaders or a plan?
  11. Standard memberWoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    Los Gatos, CA
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 19:264 edits
    Originally posted by dryhump
    What would have been the proper way to remove the protestors, I wonder. Did the university chancellor have a better way?
    Why not just arrest them? Do you really need to pepper spray them and then arrest them?

Or, simply leave them there. I'm not sure I've ever really bought the idea that these guys are really impacting the economy. And really, do you need to use the same public space that bad?

As far as I can tell, the argument that they had to be removed for health concerns doesn't apply here.

These all seem like really lousy excuses to me. And definitely don't justify this level of use of force.
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 20:06
    I wonder if a skunk could beat a spitting cobra in a fight.
    Skunks do prey on snakes as well as other animals. All animals that prey on cobras have a high degree of immunity to cobra venom. I guess a animal that does not have this immunity should not attempt to prey on a cobra. Cobra 1 Skunk 0 ?
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 20:10
    Get me some quick ,i will give the ex missus a good spraying !😵😵
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 20:161 edit
    Skunks do prey on snakes as well as other animals. All animals that prey on cobras have a high degree of immunity to cobra venom. I guess a animal that does not have this immunity should not attempt to prey on a cobra. Cobra 1 Skunk 0 ?
    The thing is, every time I've seen a mammal vs reptile situation, the mammal wins due to higher metabolism. Mammals are just more agile and faster than reptiles. Rabbits beat up snakes because the snakes can't hit them and the rabbits won't stop biting the snake's tail. I saw a clip on youtube. Hilarious.

Also, there's one with a leopard killing a crocodile, etc.

They'd probably zap each other and then flee. 1/2 - 1/2
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 20:291 edit
    The thing is, every time I've seen a mammal vs reptile situation, the mammal wins due to higher metabolism. Mammals are just more agile and faster than reptiles. Rabbits beat up snakes because the snakes can't hit them and the rabbits won't stop biting the snake's tail. I saw a clip on youtube. Hilarious.

Also, there's one with a leopard killing a crocodile, etc.

They'd probably zap each other and then flee. 1/2 - 1/2
    Snakes have alot of enemies. Most of the time the snake is killed. Still a skunk does not have the speed and agility of a cat or rabbit? A skunk will not confuse a snake as a squrriel or hawk can? I would suggest that a skunk would not attempt to prey on a cobra and a cobra would not bother a skunk.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree