1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 04:59
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Move-On is on it.

Hi—Clint Eastwood's "Empty Chair" speech was funny (and really weird), but the bigger story coming out of the Republican Convention is Paul Ryan's lies. Click here to add your name to my petition urging the mainstream media to call out candidates' lies, and then pass it along.

Paul Ryan lied to the American people in his convention spe ...[text shortened]... small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
    3 isn't completely accurate. It's true that Ryan and 2 other House Republicans on the commission voted against the final recommendations, but their votes alone didn't kill the report. There were 18 members of the commission and 14 votes were needed to send a plan to Congress for a vote. So the House Republicans alone couldn't kill it; all 3 House Democrats on the commission and one Democratic Senator voted against the final report.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-13/ryan-opposed-debt-reduction-plan-romney-used-as-a-model
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:16
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    He says he made a misstatement. http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/01/13611931-paul-ryan-says-he-misstated-marathon-claim?lite

It's plausible; the marathon was 20 years ago. We tend to remember being better at sports than we actually were.
    " It's plausible; the marathon was 20 years ago. We tend to remember being better at sports than we actually were."

If he only ran one, and it was over 4 hours it wasn't great for a 20 year old, nor was he a very dedicated runner. My first was approaching 40, and was 3:30. I never quite cracked 3 hours in 14 events.

One time running events tend to be like one time fishing stories. The older you get, the bigger the fish you remember.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:17
    3 isn't completely accurate. It's true that Ryan and 2 other House Republicans on the commission voted against the final recommendations, but their votes alone didn't kill the report. There were 18 members of the commission and 14 votes were needed to send a plan to Congress for a vote. So the House Republicans alone couldn't kill it; all 3 House Democra ...[text shortened]... www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-13/ryan-opposed-debt-reduction-plan-romney-used-as-a-model
    I wonder now if Kunsoo is "capable of telling a truth".
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your children have the prospect of paying your medical bills because you did not save enough money or choose insurance wisely during your productive years.

What do my children have to do with you?
    The obvious point is that you and your children don't live in America, so your opinion seems not to matter much.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    Shallow, yes. Tabloid tidbits, gossip, smears, non-sequiturs, dodges, deflections. You've live a life, so you presumably know how you come across and do it deliberately. Just saying, that's all.
    Hugh lives here. You live halfway around the globe. Do we pretend to know everything about how Jakarta ought to be run?
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:27
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The obvious point is that you and your children don't live in America, so your opinion seems not to matter much.
    USA! USA! USA!
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:291 edit
    Well it's an international web site, normbenign. So whatever floats your boats. There must be 100s of 1,000s of U.S. chat rooms where you can talk only with Americans or only with people you agree with.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:29
    Hugh lives here. You live halfway around the globe. Do we pretend to know everything about how Jakarta ought to be run?
    Is insulting posters from other countries really necessary? USA posters, including yourself, routinely make comments regarding political and economic issues in other countries. This is an international board and such simple minded jingoism isn't appropriate.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:30
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Move-On is on it.

Hi—Clint Eastwood's "Empty Chair" speech was funny (and really weird), but the bigger story coming out of the Republican Convention is Paul Ryan's lies. Click here to add your name to my petition urging the mainstream media to call out candidates' lies, and then pass it along.

Paul Ryan lied to the American people in his convention spe ...[text shortened]... small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
    Most of these "talking points" are simply matters of opinion. The big lie is that a society can tax its way to prosperity on the backs of the rich.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:31
    Is insulting posters from other countries really necessary? USA posters, including yourself, routinely make comments regarding political and economic issues in other countries. This is an international board and such simple minded jingoism isn't appropriate.
    I don't pretend to be an authority on situations in other countries of which I have no first hand knowledge. Nor do I think that people in those faraway place give a hoot about my opinions.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:31
    Most of these "talking points" are simply matters of opinion. The big lie is that a society can tax its way to prosperity on the backs of the rich.
    That would be a "lie" if anyone actually claimed it (which they don't).
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:33
    I don't pretend to be an authority on situations in other countries of which I have no first hand knowledge. Nor do I think that people in those faraway place give a hoot about my opinions.
    You pretend to be an authority on what happened in Ireland in the 1840's. Do you have "first hand knowledge" of that?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:36
    You pretend to be an authority on what happened in Ireland in the 1840's. Do you have "first hand knowledge" of that?
    He lived in Boston.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well it's an international web site, normbenign. So whatever floats your boats. There must be 100s of 1,000s of U.S. chat rooms where you can talk only with Americans or only with people you agree with.
    Sure it is, but frankly I don't pretend to know much about Indonesian politics. You seem to have deep rooted beliefs about what Americans ought to do, how they should vote, etc., when these things aren't a factor in your life. If you are wrong, there is no consequence to you.

Certainly you have a right to express your opinion, and I have a right to point out its lack of relevance.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 14:38
    Sure it is, but frankly I don't pretend to know much about Indonesian politics.
    Your confessed ignorance about Jakarta and Indonesia is a matter for you, not me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree