1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 02:301 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Many in the military say the 5.56 or .223 is puny and underpowered, preferring the M14 7.62x51. Those are sold as high end hunting guns, and can be had with 20 round mags.
    You do not have to lock these people up, all you have do is give them support and monitoring in the community, especially if they are on psychotropics.

There have been a steady stream of attacks (sometimes fatal) by people over here who fallen through the cracks and stop their meds. Care in the community is not a cheap option.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 04:54
    I tend to lean with you towards possibly limiting magazine capacity in rifles. Except that the primary intention of the 2nd amendment was not self defense or hunting. It was military. On a personal level I agree with sasquatch that if you need a 30 round magazine, your in over your head. A militia man or survivalist's best chance is to avoid detection, no ...[text shortened]... yments have zero to four rounds fired. Why are typical cop guns high capacity? Ask them not me.
    I am uninterested in your level of comfort. Large capacity mags are just as unnecessary in handguns as they are in rifles. Sure cops went to have an equal level of firepower as the criminals they are likely to face, so since large capacity mags have become commonplace they have insisted on deploying them themselves. But that would not be necessary once they were banned and it isn't really necessary now; few actions by the police result in any cop firing more than 10 shots.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 18:381 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I am uninterested in your level of comfort. Large capacity mags are just as unnecessary in handguns as they are in rifles. Sure cops went to have an equal level of firepower as the criminals they are likely to face, so since large capacity mags have become commonplace they have insisted on deploying them themselves. But that would not be necessary once t ...[text shortened]... 't really necessary now; few actions by the police result in any cop firing more than 10 shots.
    I don't disagree with what you've said. Ask a cop and see what he says.

Of course you aren't interested in anyone's opinion or feeling, but your own. The opinions and rationales of other do matter. Ask someone with some experience, not me. If you are a practicing lawyer, most courtrooms today enjoy an armed presence of cops with high capacity magazines. In short you depend on others for your protection. Many of us, including cops on the street are not so fortunate as to be able to pass off responsibility for self defense.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 18:45
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    You do not have to lock these people up, all you have do is give them support and monitoring in the community, especially if they are on psychotropics.

There have been a steady stream of attacks (sometimes fatal) by people over here who fallen through the cracks and stop their meds. Care in the community is not a cheap option.
    I take it then, that you agree this is a fertile area to investigate.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 20:16
    I don't disagree with what you've said. Ask a cop and see what he says.

Of course you aren't interested in anyone's opinion or feeling, but your own. The opinions and rationales of other do matter. Ask someone with some experience, not me. If you are a practicing lawyer, most courtrooms today enjoy an armed presence of cops with high capacity magazines ...[text shortened]... n the street are not so fortunate as to be able to pass off responsibility for self defense.
    I retain my right to self-defense. There's no logical limit to your argument; cops could all be walking around with machine guns or riding in tanks if it is valid.

Numerous law enforcement agencies, police chiefs and others have come out in favor of a ban on high capacity mags. Here's one statement:

– The National Law Enforcement Partnership to Prevent Gun
    Violence, an alliance of nine major national police leadership organizations, announced
    its call for background checks for all firearms purchasers and a ban on high-capacity
    ammunition magazines today at a news conference in Washington, DC.

http://www.joycefdn.org/assets/1/7/law_enforcement_gun_violence_prevention_aurora_release.pdf
  6. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 20:441 edit
    I am uninterested in your level of comfort. Large capacity mags are just as unnecessary in handguns as they are in rifles. Sure cops went to have an equal level of firepower as the criminals they are likely to face, so since large capacity mags have become commonplace they have insisted on deploying them themselves. But that would not be necessary once t ...[text shortened]... 't really necessary now; few actions by the police result in any cop firing more than 10 shots.
    A magazine is the easiest part of a gun to make. It's a box and a spring. There are millions of them on the street and they're unregistered. Nothing you can do about it. Why don't you come out of your candyland and propose something real? For once. Oh ye of the "Cut defense by 50% now" logic.

You consistently accuse me of lying. Which is fine. I don't give a rat's ass for the opinion of someone who has never served and is so completely out of touch. To create the world you want to live in, you might want to start with Gingrich's moon base.

EDIT: And by the way. What you call "lying", I call living in a culture of accountability. You wouldn't know anything about that though. So I understand.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 00:33
    I retain my right to self-defense. There's no logical limit to your argument; cops could all be walking around with machine guns or riding in tanks if it is valid.

Numerous law enforcement agencies, police chiefs and others have come out in favor of a ban on high capacity mags. Here's one statement:

– The National Law Enforcement Partne ...[text shortened]...
    http://www.joycefdn.org/assets/1/7/law_enforcement_gun_violence_prevention_aurora_release.pdf
    Ask a cop on the street, in a bad neighborhood.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree