Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 13 Sep '14 15:00
    ISIL is selling oil on the black market for less than the market price. At about $40 per barrel it affects the overall price in time. Nobody seems to know what currency (if any) they are trading it for.

    http://www.theburningplatform.com/2014/09/12/thank-isis-for-lower-gas-prices/

    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-20/iraqs-isil-jihadists-want-an-oil-state-of-their-own-too

    If they are not selling the oil in US dollars that is reason enough for the powers that be to want to destroy ISIL. Others that did this are dead. Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi committed this heresy.
  2. 13 Sep '14 15:11
    IS does not control enough oil production to significantly affect global prices, regardless of the price at which they are dumping the oil they may or may not have.
  3. 13 Sep '14 23:56
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    IS does not control enough oil production to significantly affect global prices, regardless of the price at which they are dumping the oil they may or may not have.
    100 million per month isn't bad.

    http://abcnews.go.com/International/isis-makes-million-day-selling-oil-analysts/story?id=24814359
  4. 13 Sep '14 23:59
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    100 million per month isn't bad.

    http://abcnews.go.com/International/isis-makes-million-day-selling-oil-analysts/story?id=24814359
    They are as good as done. The West's victory will come by turning them into capitalists.
  5. 14 Sep '14 00:17
    Originally posted by JS357
    They are as good as done. The West's victory will come by turning them into capitalists.
    Of course. Who would doubt the USA's military might and the will to use it?
    American boots could end up on the ground if a decent coalition of ground troops can't be raised. Iraqi troops don't have the will to fight for a puppet government. That is why ISIL did so well up until now.