1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    30 Mar '15 20:311 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    hence me saying "it is exagerated". hence me saying " i want to hear the actual resolution".

the thread must be slow if you feel the need to argue with me over what? not using the proper adjectives?

and before you say anything, no, i don't think i should consider this thing a total lie before actually seeing the text of the resolution.
    "UN says Israel, not Iran, North Korea or Syria worst violator of human rights" is a headline from Fox News.

Or to correct that : Fox News says ... etc. i do not think the UN says anything of the kind.

What the UN says is I think at this reference:
    http://unispal.un.org/unispal.nsf/47d4e277b48d9d3685256ddc00612265/8a7243322a840c4785257e150057a401?OpenDocument

I did not see the statement that Israel is a number one at anything, even table tennis. I concede they may well be number one at something - I just don't know what.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Mar '15 22:07
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    hence me saying "it is exagerated". hence me saying " i want to hear the actual resolution".

the thread must be slow if you feel the need to argue with me over what? not using the proper adjectives?

and before you say anything, no, i don't think i should consider this thing a total lie before actually seeing the text of the resolution.
    The article did not rely on the text of any resolution but on the fact that there had supposedly been 4 resolutions passed condemning human rights violations of Israel and only one each doing the same regarding violations by various other countries. According to the simplistic reasoning given, because 4 is more than one Israel stands accused of being the "no1" or "worst" violator of human rights according to the Council.

One does not need to read the particular resolutions to see that this is spurious "reasoning".
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Mar '15 23:07
    Originally posted by finnegan
    I did not see the statement that Israel is a number one at anything, even table tennis. I concede they may well be number one at something - I just don't know what.[/b]
    Dead Sea mud and salt product exports
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Mar '15 23:101 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Dead Sea mud and salt product exports
    Oh, and also:

- number of scientists and technicians in the workforce per capita

- highest percentage of workforce employed in technical professions

- Highest per capita ratio of university degrees

- Highest per capita ratio of scientific publications

- Largest number of startup companies per capita

- Israel has the largest number of biotech start-ups per capita

Source: Wikipedia (mock if you will)
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    30 Mar '15 23:39
    Oh, and also:

- number of scientists and technicians in the workforce per capita

- highest percentage of workforce employed in technical professions

- Highest per capita ratio of university degrees

- Highest per capita ratio of scientific publications

- Largest number of startup companies per capita

- Israel has the largest number of biotech start-ups per capita

Source: Wikipedia (mock if you will)
    I was mocking Fox News as it happens. None of these firsts were mentioned by the UN. Nether did the UN mention that Israel was the number one human rights offender in this obscure corner of the galaxy.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 00:07
    Originally posted by finnegan
    I was mocking Fox News as it happens. None of these firsts were mentioned by the UN. Nether did the UN mention that Israel was the number one human rights offender in this obscure corner of the galaxy.
    Yes, I know. As usual, you and the others made mincemeat of a whodey OP.

Congrats.
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 10:07
    Yes, I know. As usual, you and the others made mincemeat of a whodey OP.

Congrats.
    Fair point. If we stopped responding to Whodey, Eladar, Wajoma, Fishface and a few others, we would have to engage in more challenging activities. But they would be left to infest our forum with their bigotry. Are you really saying we should abandon this public space to the bigots?

Still, it is tempting and maybe that is where I will go. depends on my mood.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 12:272 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    I think you're going too far here. I don't approve of the way Israel operates under Benjamin Netanyahu, but I think North Korea, Iraq, Iran and several African countries are far worse in this area than Israel.
    What about Russia?

Face it, despite lawyer defenses like marauder, the left is preoccupied with Israel. Scratch that, they are obsessed with Israel. Israel is the Wal Mart of countries, the ultimate source of all evil in the universe. As far as I'm concerned, all lawyers can burn in hell. Look what they have done to this country. (sorry sh)

Their hysteria reveals their bigotry, and the news coverage of everything bad about Israel, and very little of other countries, reveals their control of the press.

Nothing compares to genocide in places like the Sudan, yet the world just watched and basically ignored it.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 12:512 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    What about Russia?

Face it, despite lawyer defenses like marauder, the left is preoccupied with Israel. Scratch that, they are obsessed with Israel. Israel is the Wal Mart of countries, the ultimate source of all evil in the universe. As far as I'm concerned, all lawyers can burn in hell. Look what they have done to this country. (sorry sh)

Their h ...[text shortened]... pares to genocide in places like the Sudan, yet the world just watched and basically ignored it.
    You are, as always, absolutely correct - the UN Human Rights Council completely ignored what happened in the Sudan: http://www.unitedhumanrights.org/genocide/genocide-in-sudan.htm

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake - that group is not affiliated with the UN.

However the UN Council has hardly ignored the Sudan as this search page shows: http://search.ohchr.org/search?site=default_collection&client=default_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&Entqr=0&ud=1&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&proxystylesheet=en_frontend&q=sudan%20genocide
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 13:05
    What about Russia?

Their h ...[text shortened]... pares to genocide in places like the Sudan, yet the world just watched and basically ignored it.
    Israel is committing their human rights violations partially on my dime which I find particularly objectionable.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 13:594 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You are, as always, absolutely correct - the UN Human Rights Council completely ignored what happened in the Sudan: http://www.unitedhumanrights.org/genocide/genocide-in-sudan.htm

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake - that group is not affiliated with the UN.

However the UN Council has hardly ignored the Sudan as this search page shows: http://search.ohchr.org ...[text shortened]... TF-8&oe=UTF-8&Entqr=0&ud=1&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&proxystylesheet=en_frontend&q=sudan%20genocide
    The acknowledged it. So what?

Do they spend hours debating the legitimacy of the country of Sudan. Do they get the same press coverage?

No.

Hmm, building walls or killing fields, which is worse I wonder?
  12. Germany
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 14:28

Do they spend hours debating the legitimacy of the country of Sudan. Do they get the same press coverage?

No.

Nice attempt to shift the goal posts by randomly flailing some faeces at them.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 14:28

No.

What exactly has the UN done to Israel?

Your usual hysterical ranting and raving doesn't change the fact that Israel is a serial violator of human rights and many UN Security Council resolutions yet no sanction has ever been applied against it. So your boo-hooing about how badly poor lil Israel has been treated there is just more BS.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 14:43
    A little more detail:

The United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) approved three resolutions regarding occupied Palestinian territory and Palestinian rights during the 28th regular session, Friday 27 March 2015.

The resolutions called for the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination, “including their right to live in freedom, justice and dignity and the right to their independent State of Palestine,” confirmed Palestinian right to sovereignty over natural wealth and resources, and condemned the continuation of all settlement activities in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem.

The United States was the only UNHRC member to vote against the three resolutions.

The resolutions highlighted the illegality of Israeli construction and expansion of settlements particularly in and around occupied East Jerusalem and the Jordan Valley, the demolition of Palestinian homes, the eviction of Palestinian families, and the continuation of construction of the wall on Palestinian land.

The UNHRC session also discussed increasing incidents of violence by Israeli settlers, excessive use of force used by Israeli military against Palestinian civilians, the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip, and conditions of Palestinian prisoners and detainees in Israeli jails, including minors. It called on Israel to freeze and reverse settlement activity and to withdraw to the pre-1967 lines.

Member states of the UNHRC voiced overwhelming support for these three resolutions on the Palestinian territories, with 45 countries approving two of them and 43 approving the third. Again, only the US voted no on all three resolutions. The European Union in contrast voted in support of all three of them.

http://www.eccpalestine.org/%e2%80%8aus-was-the-only-country-to-vote-against-resolutions-on-palestine-in-the-un-human-rights-council/

All these resolutions are simply restatements of human rights principles which have been incorporated in numerous UN Security Council resolutions. Israel continues to be in blatant disregard of them all with nothing done about it. So the right wing crying about the passage of such non-controversial resolutions is disgusting.
  15. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    31 Mar '15 14:49
    But Sudan's legitimacy as a country was challenged a few years back, and the result of this challenge was that it got divided into two nations, Sudan and South Sudan.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree