1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 22:14
    Originally posted by PBE6
    sh76 seems to think EmLasker was joking:

At least EmLasker is being facetious about it; or at least he generally is when he posts this sorts of thing.

I guess we can't know for sure, but sh76 seems relatively confident so I'll take his word for it.
    I was just going from past experience and by EmLasker's perpetual and openly expressed desire to simply be controversial for the sake of being controversial.

His last comment on this thread makes me wonder whether he was serious or not.

Who knows?

I suppose EmLasker knows. But past experience tells me that he's unlikely to say whether he's serious. So, I guess we can speculate until the cows come home. But, let's be honest... who cares? 😉
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 00:45
    I was talking to a Jewish friend a while back. She by the way was racist; she respected me too much to believe I was of Mexican descent.

I mentioned that I rarely see Jews in L.A. except the Hassidic ones with their "cake hats" as my Jewish ex-girlfriend put it.

The friend turned to me and said "What are you talking about? Half of Hollywood is Jewish!"

I guess those of us who grew up in the 'hood don't interact much with upper class movie people.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 03:241 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I was talking to a Jewish friend a while back. She by the way was racist; she respected me too much to believe I was of Mexican descent.

I mentioned that I rarely see Jews in L.A. except the Hassidic ones with their "cake hats" as my Jewish ex-girlfriend put it.

The friend turned to me and said "What are you talking about? Half of Hollywood is ss those of us who grew up in the 'hood don't interact much with upper class movie people.
    The thing is, other than the Hassidic ones with their "cake hats," how would you tell whether you were seeing Jews in LA? Apologies to Julius Striecher, but most American Jews are fairly indistinguishable from your average white person.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 22:23
    Originally posted by sh76
    The thing is, other than the Hassidic ones with their "cake hats," how would you tell whether you were seeing Jews in LA? Apologies to Julius Striecher, but most American Jews are fairly indistinguishable from your average white person.
    Good point.
  5. At the Revolution
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 01:43
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    ... the media.

Stephen Colbert, Ali G, Jon Stewart, Sandra Bullock, Ron Jeremy, Billy Joel, Natalie Portman, Steven Seagal, jerry Seinfield, Adam Sandler, Dustin Hoffman, Alan King, Roman Polanski, Wolf Blitzer, Steven Spielberg...

list goes on ...

Why are they so over-represented?
    Colbert is Catholic.

And naming a few names doesn't do anything. I could rattle off a bunch of Mexican or Spanish American actors; that doesn't mean we're being occupied by Mexico.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 01:46
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Colbert is Catholic.

And naming a few names doesn't do anything. I could rattle off a bunch of Mexican or Spanish American actors; that doesn't mean we're being occupied by Mexico.
    There's more reason to think Hollywood is more Jewish than the general population than that. It seems to be pretty well known among the few Jews I've met who spoke on the subject (maybe 5).
  7. At the Revolution
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 01:47
    There's more reason to think Hollywood is more Jewish than the general population than that. It seems to be pretty well known among the few Jews I've met who spoke on the subject (maybe 5).
    OK, and I'm sure the bourgeois restaurant industry has a preponderance of French people.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 01:48
    OK, and I'm sure the bourgeois restaurant industry has a preponderance of French people.
    Etc.
  9. At the Revolution
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 01:49
    Etc.
    So why single out Hollywood?
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 01:501 edit
    So why single out Hollywood?
    I'm not. Someone else did. (EDIT - EmLasker)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree